cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roof Issue

jondoe941
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a '98 Hornet 31F. the roof had previous issues and we will be redoing the whole inside. Now the previous owner redid the roof all in Ice & water. do I need to tear off this roof, or can I just put some other type of roof over it?
7 REPLIES 7

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
As other have mentioned, Ice and Water shield needs additional cover to protect from UV, manufacturer mentions 90 days for exposure so you will need to add something else to cover it.

The good news though since the PO failed to finish the job completely you can simply overlap the Ice and Water shield over top it's self anywhere the PO missed in order to fix the leak..

This is a case of the PO using the wrong material..

The correct material the PO should have used is a product called "Peel and Seal", it is the same base material as Ice and Water shield but has a top layer which IS designed for full UV exposure.

You can find it HERE at Amazon..

You might be able to use the Peel and Seal over top of the Ice and Water Shield but you may want to contact thee manufacturer directly to find out for sure if it is compatible..

Peel and Seal was recommended to me by a RV dealer and so far it has held up to 4 yrs of outdoor exposure for us.

jondoe941
Explorer
Explorer
It is still leaking, mainly because they didn't seal where the roof meets the front wall.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Ice and Water adhesive membranes need to be covered for UV protection. If it was mine, I wouldn't remove it.
FWIW, when I reroofed the sticks and bricks, I installed a full covering using GAF Weatherwatch, adhesive membrane. Part of the roof was not covered with shingles for about three weeks. I haven't experienced any damage to the membrane.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
jondoe941 wrote:
Now the previous owner redid the roof all in Ice & water.
i don't know what this means.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Npdchief07
Explorer
Explorer
Consider a flex armor roof. I don't have one but everyone who does seems to be happy. A rather large expensive but you know you won't have to deal with it again.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Is it leaking now? If not, leave it alone.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Can you post some pictures, please?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad