Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: bigfoot and northern lite details on their construction
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> bigfoot and northern lite details on their construction

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
devildog1971

Rome

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/19 06:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I now own a Northern Lite , at one time I owned a Real Lite had a side door and jack knife couch, and it was a four season camper it had copper shut off valves to cut the water off to the outside shower. Surprised that Northern Lite and Bigfoot neither one has a valve to cut water off to the outside shower, when it is below freezing I would think the valves on the hot and cold water side might freeze?

2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EXCDSE Dry Bath 2007 G M C dually crew cab and 2018 Harley Davidson Limited Low

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/19 07:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

devildog1971 wrote:

when it is below freezing I would think the valves on the hot and cold water side might freeze?

Not if -like in my camper - you have big holes around the shower hose, that will draft warm air into shower compartment and farther.
You can always cut a piece of Styrofoam to fit the door and keep it warmer.

Homeless by Choice

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/19 07:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

devildog1971 wrote:

I now own a Northern Lite , at one time I owned a Real Lite had a side door and jack knife couch, and it was a four season camper it had copper shut off valves to cut the water off to the outside shower. Surprised that Northern Lite and Bigfoot neither one has a valve to cut water off to the outside shower, when it is below freezing I would think the valves on the hot and cold water side might freeze?

I agree with you completely. This in my opinion is a very valid complaint about a four season camper. The thin piece of plastic that the outside shower valves are mounted thru provide very little to no freeze protection. I talked to Keith Donkin, general manager of Northern Lite, about this. I disconnected and capped off the outside shower hot and cold lines near the water pump. I never use the outside shower anyways.

LeRoy

Homeless by Choice
FULL TIMER since 2012
2015 Chevy 3500, Duramax, 4X4, DRW, Crew cab, Long bed
2013 Northern Lite 8'11"Q Sportsman truck camper
2015 Polaris RZR Side by Side

stevenal

Newport, OR, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/19 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

devildog1971 wrote:

Surprised that Northern Lite and Bigfoot neither one has a valve to cut water off to the outside shower...

My BF does, accessible through the electrical cord door.

'18 Bigfoot 1500
Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

covered wagon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/19 07:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NL camper a great camper, but the insulation is too skinny for real world cold. Even tho venting everyday and all nite will still let condensation build up under the fiberglass. Between insul and fiberglass starts to delaminate. Camper starts to show some degree of age the more used in real cold. BF has one with thicker insul and thats the one if you winter camp.

2 Piece

Northern Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/19 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stevenal wrote:

devildog1971 wrote:

Surprised that Northern Lite and Bigfoot neither one has a valve to cut water off to the outside shower...

My BF does, accessible through the electrical cord door.

Agree, outside shower could be a weak point.....but... winter time I winterize. If a camper trip happens in winter months I dewinterize everything except the outside shower. Only done this once so far and no problems. Remember newer campers are plumed with pex. Pex will expand and flex a lot more than copper and pvc will. Also, backside of outside shower controls are only 6 to 12" away from bathroom faucet and get heated from furnace. I do not use outside shower in winter months so leaving antifreeze in those lines do not bother me. A person could also fill the outside shower area with a piece of insulation batting for a little extra piece of mind. I'm just wondering if this is a real issue or just a possible issue.

2018 F350 6.7 diesel, 4x4, DRW, crew cab, 8' box.
2018 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE.

Those that do not read have no advantage over those who can not.

Siletzspey

Shedd, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/19 07:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2 Piece wrote:

... outside shower could be a weak point ... wondering if this is a real issue or just a possible issue.

I setup a temperature sensor grid inside my 2018 9'6" QSE, and there are two 2" ducts that blast into the basement/tank space, and the space behind the shower stall and outside shower head gets particularly warm, on par with the cabin temp.

I also put insulation in the outside shower head box, but feel better yet that it's getting a lot of heat from the backside.

--SiletzSpey

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/19 07:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not a freezing damage danger, but my furnaces had hot air from the exchanged directed first into outside cover before it turn around to go inside.
The sheet metal cover had no insulation and there was not much space for it.
What I did was spraying some of polyurethane foam on the cover, put plastic foil over the piping sticking inside and mount the cover - allowing the foam to shape around piping.
That probably will give it about R4 value, but at forced air compartment, where heat exchange goes into overdrive.

Marcela

Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/19 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Speaking of outside shower doors, I noticed on my new BF 10.4, the stove exhaust has no 'flap' under the outer cover. From the mesh screen next to the fan through the exhaust ducting is a clear shot.

2 Piece

Northern Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/19 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On my NL 10-2 there is no flap on the outside under the vent hood, but there is one on the inside of the range hood.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> bigfoot and northern lite details on their construction
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.