cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Balancing tires, what's best?

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
Getting new Toyos put on the motor home tomorrow. What's better balancing beads or spin balancing? What are the pros and cons ??
24 REPLIES 24

map40
Explorer
Explorer
Beads or centramatics function the same way. If you want them 2 automatically balance while you're driving down the road, that's what they were designed to do. Between the two the safest option is centramatics because it's not in the tire, you can still balance the tire, and it will stay with you even if you change tires.
The beads works just as good but once you put them in the tire you can no longer spin balance them. Also, you can't reuse them and some tire shops will tell you that they're bad and they need to be taken out.
You can spin balance them, which is what most people do. This is not as efficient and you might get a shorter thread like, if you care about that at all.
The best option is 2 Road Force balance the tire using a Hunter 9700 balancer and then install cinematics. Just be aware, for most of us, this would be an overkill. Long distance haulers do this, and they can get 3 to 400k miles on their routes with re- threading thanks to this practice
Alfa SeeYa
Life rocks when your home rolls

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Oh man thatโ€™s really spooky! :E

I was just thinking the same thing!

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
NRALIFR wrote:
RLS7201 wrote:
NRALIFR wrote:
camperdave wrote:
RLS7201 wrote:
Beads will only do STATIC balancing. For front tires you need both STATIC & DYNAMIC balancing, which can only be accomplished with a spin balancer.

Richard

I don't understand what you mean. what is the difference in static and dynamic balancing? Seems like beads in the tire are by definition dynamic, as the wheel is spinning as they find their home.

It means he doesnโ€™t understand physics. Beads/Centramatics ARE dynamic balancers.

No It means you don't understand tire balancing and physics.
Would you care to come out from behind your keyboard and insult me to my face, big guy? Or are you just a keyboard bully?
Static balancing is what beads and bubble balancers do. Dynamic balancing is the balancing of the tire from side to side, not top to bottom. Dynamic balancing is one of the causes of death wobble and cupping tires.
Here go educate yourself

I watched your video, and I have no problem with what heโ€™s saying because heโ€™s demonstrating the modes of a computerized spin balancing machine. One of the modes is โ€œDynamicโ€. He says nothing about any type of dynamic balancing media.

If youโ€™re under the impression that a spin balancer is the only thing capable of dynamically balancing a tire, youโ€™re wrong. Iโ€™ll say it again, you donโ€™t understand physics, and I suspect you donโ€™t understand what the word โ€œdynamicโ€ means either. If you did, youโ€™d know that saying โ€œStatic balancing is what beads and bubble balancers do.โ€ is half wrong (guess which half), and โ€œDynamic balancing is one of the causes of death wobble and cupping tiresโ€œ is completely wrong (it should be โ€œDynamic imbalance is....โ€.

BTW, the balance problem he was illustrating with the big, wide, off-road tire can be easily fixed with dynamic balancing beads. Provided the problem is strictly a balance problem, and there are no physical defects or damage to the tire or wheel, beads will balance it. No dynamic balancing media can fix a bent, warped, out of round tire or wheel. But then, lead weights canโ€™t either. Even if a computerized spin balance machine is used.

Or never mind, ya can't fix stupid.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the feedback. I just had new Toyo's installed. I ended up going with balancing beads. Shop said if I wasn't happy with them, they'd remove them and spin balance them for free. So time will tell.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
We just put six new Michelins on our Class A DP. They were spin balanced. Then we drove to the alignment shop and had a new alignment done. She drives great. . . nice and smooth.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:
NRALIFR wrote:
camperdave wrote:
RLS7201 wrote:
Beads will only do STATIC balancing. For front tires you need both STATIC & DYNAMIC balancing, which can only be accomplished with a spin balancer.

Richard

I don't understand what you mean. what is the difference in static and dynamic balancing? Seems like beads in the tire are by definition dynamic, as the wheel is spinning as they find their home.

It means he doesnโ€™t understand physics. Beads/Centramatics ARE dynamic balancers.

Would you care to come out from behind your keyboard and insult me to my face, big guy? Or are you just a keyboard bully?
Static balancing is what beads and bubble balancers do. Dynamic balancing is the balancing of the tire from side to side, not top to bottom. Dynamic balancing is one of the causes of death wobble and cupping tires.
Here go educate yourself

I watched your video, and I have no problem with what heโ€™s saying because heโ€™s demonstrating the modes of a computerized spin balancing machine. One of the modes is โ€œDynamicโ€. He says nothing about any type of dynamic balancing media.

If youโ€™re under the impression that a spin balancer is the only thing capable of dynamically balancing a tire, youโ€™re wrong. Iโ€™ll say it again, you donโ€™t understand physics, and I suspect you donโ€™t understand what the word โ€œdynamicโ€ means either. If you did, youโ€™d know that saying โ€œStatic balancing is what beads and bubble balancers do.โ€ is half wrong (guess which half), and โ€œDynamic balancing is one of the causes of death wobble and cupping tiresโ€œ is completely wrong (it should be โ€œDynamic imbalance is....โ€.

BTW, the balance problem he was illustrating with the big, wide, off-road tire can be easily fixed with dynamic balancing beads. Provided the problem is strictly a balance problem, and there are no physical defects or damage to the tire or wheel, beads will balance it. No dynamic balancing media can fix a bent, warped, out of round tire or wheel. But then, lead weights canโ€™t either. Even if a computerized spin balance machine is used.

And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
johnhicks wrote:
Centramatics work great.

X2

Centramatics and spin balance together makes the best balance hands down...

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
NRALIFR wrote:
camperdave wrote:
RLS7201 wrote:

Richard

Here go educate yourself
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
With beads don't the people who work on the tire in the future need to be aware of the beads and know how to handle them?
I vote for spin balancing. I seem to remember an issue of whether to center the tire using the hole or the bolts. I don't know the particulars.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I have beads in my tires and they vibrate for a few miles before they smooth out. I think I would prefer spin balancing. They just did it after only setting for 1 night and part of a day. I wouldn't think radial tires would flat spot in that short time so I think the beads sometimes clump up and it takes awhile for them to break loose and do their job.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
larry cad wrote:
johnhicks wrote:
Centramatics work great.

Times 2. Had mine for several years over 3 sets of tires and never a problem.

X3.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
camperdave wrote:
RLS7201 wrote:

Richard

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:

Richard

2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson