cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

thetford aqua-magic V...hand flush vs foot pedal flush

RV_daytrader
Explorer
Explorer
I have the hand flush model and fumes are escaping where the hand flush arm enters the bowl area. There is a non-replaceable seal there so I can't fix it. I actually like the toilet and am considering the foot flush model to replace it. Does anyone know if the foot flush model is repairable ??
YODA...our lil Toyota!
1989 Toyota Seabreeze
5 REPLIES 5

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
I have zero odor leakage after discarding my foot flush Aqua Magic and replacing it with a Thetford Style II. Replacing the flange gasket didn't help. Somewhere in the housing of the Aqua Magic is a leak and the whole housing is open to the tank. The leak may be around the flush linkage. You'll see how lousy of a design the toilet is when you pull it out. There's no sealed connection between the bowl and waste chute. If you look online for pricing (hint PPL), you'll see that there's no reason to buy the Aqua Magic over the higher end Style II.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a foot flush model but have never had to repair it. 19 yrs old and all we do is clean it.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
If you mean the seal on the actuator assembly, you can buy the entire assembly as a single unit and replace the entire assembly at once. But this is assuming it is the seal on that assembly and not just a bad/worn bowl flapper seal or a crack elsewhere allowing fumes to escape where it was never intended to escape.

As for repairability, lots depends on the year it was manufactured as the newer ones have more replaceable parts instead of entire assemblies.

I have the low profile unit so the floor flush ones are actually more of a hassles. That pretty much dictated the replacement for me being a hand flush. I did look into the Aria Deluxe with the electric push button flush and was thinking of just relocating the switch panel to the wall, but alas too much $$$ and to much work for my little RV (not to mention thinking how many times I'll mistakenly flush instead of turning on the lights, or turning off the lights when I meant to flush!).
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
RV daytrader wrote:
I have the hand flush model and fumes are escaping where the hand flush arm enters the bowl area. There is a non-replaceable seal there so I can't fix it. I actually like the toilet and am considering the foot flush model to replace it. Does anyone know if the foot flush model is repairable ??

Not clear. The hand flush "arm" is not the "blade" in the bowl. You have to undo the two bolts holding the toilet to the flange, undo the water hose, turn the toilet upside down, replace the rubber seal that the blade goes against, and that should fix any leaking from the bowl so now it will hold water and no fumes come out.

You will need the Thetford seal for the bowl and also a new flange seal, both common items in RV parts stores.

Have had both, and prefer the foot pedal. Don't have to bend over the toilet to reach the handle. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Not to be confused with the seal "kit" for the toilets with a "ball" instead of a "blade".
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
add the model number to this google search and there are replacement parts diagrams available for all of them
thetford aqua magic rv toilet parts diagram