Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Newbies
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Newbies

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
pooretravelers

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/19 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello Everyone!! My hubster and I are complete newbies to the RV world. We are looking to purchase a travel trailer in the next couple of months and start out a little slow so we can get acclimated to RVing before we jump in full force (his idea not mine).
I know this is a general question (and I am getting ready to hit the FAQs) but... what are some of the top questions to ask dealers when looking and getting ready to purchase our first travel trailer?
We don't want to go in unprepared and either leave with more than we need or less than what is required. It will just be the two of us traveling, no pets and no children. We have a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 and know how much we are able to tow (8400 lbs).
Any advice is welcome!!
Thanks!!

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/19 01:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should be fine picking out a nice trailer for the two of you with the full size truck but pay more attention to the trailers GVWR and pay no mind to it's dry weight.

I always recommend a weight distribution hitch with antisway.

Good luck in your search.

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/19 02:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pooretravelers wrote:

We have a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 and know how much we are able to tow (8400 lbs).
Any advice is welcome!!

No you can't, you'll run out of payload capacity long before you get anywhere near 8400 lbs. That number isn't how heavy the trailer itself can weigh but the maximum the truck is rated to tow / haul counting everything.

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/19 02:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pooretravelers wrote:

I know this is a general question (and I am getting ready to hit the FAQs) but... what are some of the top questions to ask dealers when looking and getting ready to purchase our first travel trailer?

Ask a dealer only one question: how much the total is with all taxes & fees.

You need to do your own research like you already started here. When you are completely knowledgeable about what you are about to purchase, you won't be subject to all the potential misleading guidance from a dealer.

Lwiddis

Near Annett’s Mono Village, Bridgeport, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/19 02:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"and know how much we are able to tow (8400 lbs"

How much weight can the Dodge carry? A far more important number.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/19 03:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is an absolute great web site that is packed full of information tailored for new RVers of all styles. (ChanginGears.com, click here).

The "Getting Started" link in the left side menu list is an excellent starting point. It will give you lots of information you probably have not considered. It's fun, it's informative, it's exciting to learn. Going through just that one page and reading the pages associated with the links on that page will give you good direction.

I think the second most helpful topic on that web site is the menu item "Manufacturers". There it has an alphabetical list of (almost) every RV manufacturer available, sorted by make or brand. What's beautiful about this page are the links to the manufacturers web sites where you can drill down on each one and view floor plans and designs. Be warned though, you can spend a lifetime doing just by itself.

After you have identified what you think will work for you, what you are looking for, what you like, what you don't like, you'll have better ammunition to take to the first dealership you encounter.

The site covers everything you should consider, from the tires to the television antenna and everything in-between.

Another site that is a really fun site that has good information, but not as "loaded" as Changin'Gears, is GoRVing.com. I've been around RV's, pretty much all my life, and I still absolutely love this site and watching the videos. It's basic information, and really a good starting point too.

Good luck and enjoy. And ... expect to be overwhelmed.

pooretravelers

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/19 08:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No you can't, you'll run out of payload capacity long before you get anywhere near 8400 lbs. That number isn't how heavy the trailer itself can weigh but the maximum the truck is rated to tow / haul counting everything

Can you explain? I've looked up all kinds of numbers and GVWR and CCC, etc and I'm confusing myself about it all. From what Dodge told us, our GVWR was 8400 lbs. I'm trying to understand all this but I think I'm making it worse on myself.

aftermath

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/19 09:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ah, the weight police have shown up early. Many here believe that unless you have a 3/4 ton (diesel preferred) you shouldn't tow anything larger than a pop up. You have come to the right place to get answers but be prepared for all sorts of answers.

OK, the limiting thing with half ton pickups is their limited payload capacity. You do have to watch the GVWR numbers and this is the big thing. My Tundra has someting like a 1700 pound payload rating. Once I drop the trailer on the hitch I have something like 700 pounds left to take care of me, the wife,a generator and some lawn chairs.

Half tons make good tow vehicles but you do have to watch the weight of your trailer and the tongue weights. Don't look at dry weight numbers, look at gross vehicle weight numbers. They usually post 10-15% of these numbers at tongue weights even though the are usually higher. Salespeople are probably the worst to get honest answers. I suggest that you go on the trailer website and ask owners what their numbers are. If you are interested in a particular kind of Jayco, go to the Jayco site, or this one for that matter, and ask specifically about that trailer. You will find that many will be towing with your kind of truck.

Good luck. It is late in the season so I am assuming you have just started to look. Take your time.

2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

rbpru

North Central Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/19 10:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From my experience a 4x4 half ton is good for about a 5000# dry weight or 7000# gross weight TT. That is about a 25 to 28 foot TT. Even that may be heavy depending on the TT model.

Much more than that and you will run out of cargo capacity.

Since cargo capacity is vehicle dependent, you will need to read the information on on the door jamb sticker to determine your payload limit. I also suggest at least 300 hp.

The folk who knowingly tow heavy, either tow very little or are willing to accept the wear and tear.

Good luck

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

pbeverly

South Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/19 04:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When the wife and I started looking we went to a CW just to look. All we wanted to do was look and get an idea of what we wanted. There was no pressure from the dealers. In fact, it was such a hot day they had no desire to go in the units, they left us alone to look.

We then had a idea of what we wanted. Did a lot of research on line and narrowed it down to a couple different models. Went back to CW and said this is what we want to look at. Again, no pressure. We knew what we wanted to look at and they didn't try to steer us to something else. Worked for us.

Ridgeway, SC

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Newbies
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.