cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Getting couch out of 5th wheel?

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
We've decided to get rid of the 6' couch that has a queen size mattress when it folds out. We rarely use it and once slept on it when we had visitors (last time for that ****). We purchased a queen size blow up mattress in case we need extra sleeping space. The couch is like new (2015-same as our Silverback). Since we use our 5th wheel quite a bit and live in it in FL for the winter we'd prefer to toss in a card table and a couple of chairs for use when using a laptop or working for days on a puzzle.

Now the problem appears to be how to get the darn thing out of the door of the 5th wheel. I measured the door(27 3/4") and the couch (6' long, 35" from feet to top of back - might be able to remove feet for 3" less), about 36" depth.

I'm give it away free, but will stipulate that the lucky folks have to remove it themselves as I can't lift heavy objects. I checked and it doesn't appear to have a removable back portion or any other part to reduce the size. Plus it's a tight turn out the door due to our kitchen counter across from the exit door.

Has anyone else removed their couch and how did you do it?
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

17 REPLIES 17

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
Most everything that is inside an RV can fit through the doorway! Itโ€™s really just a matter of solving the puzzle!

And Yes some stuff does come apart and bolt back together!
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
+1 for thru the window opening.

The other guy told you how to take out window and replace it. Though, NEVER NEVER use silicone on windows or doors or anywhere that is seen. Silicone seals great, but is very very very difficult to remove and will make a permanent mess.

I had to remove a window to get my fridge out. You will have a nice sealed window and not worry about leaks for many years after.

Since u cant lift, then you should be able to remove window fairly quick, within 2 hrs if move slow. So time it so your "buyers" arrive then.
You will need help getting window out and back on if you cant lift.

A long ladder will help. Lay it up to the window to make a long ramp so you (they) can lay the junk on the ladder and just slide it past the window frame. I would not trust a buyer to take great caution to not hit the wall with the junk which might damage it greatly. The ladder gives them something to put it on and slide out without risk to the wall.

Since you will give it away, I would go the route of a sawzall and risk nothing, do no window work and you make the same amount in the endโ€ฆ. You may still give it away as there are people glad to weld it back together.

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
imgoin4it wrote:
I dismantled or unassembled ours and once out of coach I re-assembled it and sold it.

I'd be surprised if it doesn't come apart. I got rid of mine and replaced it with a recliner love seat. Took about 30 minutes to take it apart, put it in the back of the truck, put the new one in and assemble it.

I could have sawzalled mine, but it came apart real easy. I took mine to the dump. Hated the thing from new so it was cathartic to toss it out.
2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

happy2rv
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Defenestration

I learn so much here. New vocabulary word for the day ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

METZCOOL
Explorer
Explorer
PM sent

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
DFord wrote:
If all else fails, you can remove a window easy enough. Just take out the screws around the inside edge. The inside trim comes right off. You'll need to use a putty knife under the outside frame to loosen it but be careful as it starts to loosen and be ready to grab it.

Put it back with a bead of butyl caulk and you'll never need to worry about it leaking. Run a bead of silicone around the frame for appearances only.

OP here: Yeah, I've replaced a window in my Silverback before and it still doesn't leak.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will likely have to disassemble it in some way, possible the Sawzall. In an older Cardinal 5th wheel we had I disassembled an attached jack knife sofa and put in 2 La-Z-Boys. The couch I want to remove now is nice and like new, but if in the end I want it out, the means by which to do it will depend upon how bad I want it out. ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks again!
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
If all else fails, you can remove a window easy enough. Just take out the screws around the inside edge. The inside trim comes right off. You'll need to use a putty knife under the outside frame to loosen it but be careful as it starts to loosen and be ready to grab it.

Put it back with a bead of butyl caulk and you'll never need to worry about it leaking. Run a bead of silicone around the frame for appearances only.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
I dismantled or unassembled ours and once out of coach I re-assembled it and sold it.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
whiteeye42 wrote:
my sofa sleeper comes apart
Yeah that's what the sawsall does....heh
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Since it's a hide-a-bed, you van dis-assemble it easily.

whiteeye42
Explorer
Explorer
my sofa sleeper comes apart
Me,Wife two boys and two dogs
2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 DRW 6.7 cummins
2008 Jayco Eagle 341 RLQS 37' with B&W turnover ball & companion hitch
using rotochoks
add state map

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Getting stuff into RV is tough - removing just require a saw.
Kevin

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"Defenestration?" Hopefully an OPEN window.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
Parrothead Mike wrote:
We've decided to get rid of the 6' couch that has a queen size mattress when it folds out. We rarely use it and once slept on it when we had visitors (last time for that ****). We purchased a queen size blow up mattress in case we need extra sleeping space. The couch is like new (2015-same as our Silverback). Since we use our 5th wheel quite a bit and live in it in FL for the winter we'd prefer to toss in a card table and a couple of chairs for use when using a laptop or working for days on a puzzle.

Now the problem appears to be how to get the darn thing out of the door of the 5th wheel. I measured the door(27 3/4") and the couch (6' long, 35" from feet to top of back - might be able to remove feet for 3" less), about 36" depth.

I'm give it away free, but will stipulate that the lucky folks have to remove it themselves as I can't lift heavy objects. I checked and it doesn't appear to have a removable back portion or any other part to reduce the size. Plus it's a tight turn out the door due to our kitchen counter across from the exit door.

Has anyone else removed their couch and how did you do it?

Sawsall will reduce it to a few manageable pieces :S Unless you want to use the couch somewhere else.