cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking about project 5ver

wiredgeorge
Explorer
Explorer
Have a chance to buy a 2002 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 33SKT REAL CHEAP. The camper surely needs new tires but also has a broken window. Supposed to be a small window and I have never repaired a window. Also has a slide that has to be cranked in and out manually as the electric doesn't work. Water heater doesn't work. Not sure what the issue is; guy never tried to fix. The floor will also need to be replaced as the PO put self stick tiles down and the slide rips them up when pulled it (guess the main slide isn't the issue). I would go linoleum through the trailer and have it installed.

How much would a slide cost to get repaired? I know HR is obsolete and parts may be an issue.

How do you replace a window. I can get the glass cut but not sure about how to get it into the frame.

I have used vinyl flooring in trailers before and know you need to put 1/8" plywood strips under the slide when it is retracted or the slide will scrape the vinyl.

Will probably install a tankless water heater anyway and make sure propane tanks are recertified, if needed.

Anyway adding cost of tires, window fix, slide fix and new floor will tell me if cheap means worthwhile
wiredgeorge Mico TX
2006 F350 2002 Keystone Cougar 278EFS
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith trike
7 REPLIES 7

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Unless, "real cheap" implies a negative number (ie: they are paying you to drag it away), it's likely going to be cheaper in the end to buy a functional rig.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most of the stuff is do it yourself with the help of YouTube. The window I'd be inclined to bite the bullet & let a professional do it.

I finally replaced a broken push out BR window this year after driving around with it cracked & taped for about 20,000 miles. No luck at finding replacement window anywhere.

Window guy showed up at CG with his truck, material, tools & helper & replaced the glass window with extremely tough lexan all precisely cut & mounted in a couple hours for $300.00. Some things having the right tools & experience really help.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
If you want a project and not go camping in that unit for a year or more, buy it. If you want to go camping now, forget it.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wiredgeorge
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
You need to assess the sub floor. If it is soft/spongy in places repairing/replacing it is a MAJOR undertaking.

At that age and with poor maintenance, assume you need a completely new roof, plywood decking and all.

Roof is a sheet of aluminum and they don't have issues. I am pretty good with Suburban hot water heaters and we don't dry camp so a tankless will work for us. I do understand about the flooring. Decking was laid before anything else attached to a wall so it can be a chore.
wiredgeorge Mico TX
2006 F350 2002 Keystone Cougar 278EFS
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith trike

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
You need to assess the sub floor. If it is soft/spongy in places repairing/replacing it is a MAJOR undertaking.

At that age and with poor maintenance, assume you need a completely new roof, plywood decking and all.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can replace slide motors, if that is the problem. Cost me about $125 at the local RV parts dept for our old Titanium.

For the window I'd just pull the whole window out and take it down to a local glass dealer. They will fix it and you just put the window back in with the proper sealant.

No suggestions on the vinyl. A tankless heater means you won't have hot water if you are no hook up. You might want to check online for RV Salvage to see if you can buy a used heater. Or it might just need a new element. You can by controller parts for water heaters on Amazon, some heaters anyway. What can go wrong with a heater anyway unless it's rusted out?
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
When it's all done you will have a 2002 trailer that some campgrounds will not let in based on its age. Depends on what you want to do with it. It still won't have much if any resale value but if are fixing it up to use it for your self then you have to be the judge of that.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS