Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: 8.1 Engine Running Hot
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> 8.1 Engine Running Hot

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
bigred1cav

ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/19 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[
Keep your RPM's below 2500 and do not use cruise control in mouthains.

quote=drifterpilot]I ran again today for 350 miles along Rte 87 and Rte 40 west toward Little Rock. I am stopped for the night in Nashville. I drove all day with the front facing engine compt door wide open for max air flow into the engine compt. With the early morning outside temps in the 55 - 67 deg range, the engine did not rise in temp. However, after that, I had to run the dash heat at max with blower on full to pull heat from the engine to maintain engine temp close to normal. At times, the engine temp would rise and climb and I would have to slow my speed to lower engine rpm's to help control the engine temp. After 2:00 pm today, I ran into outside temps that were 93 deg on rte 40. Definitely uncomfortable driving.
Appreciate all the good info / comments.
I will definitely look into the AC/Delco water pump replacement. That sounds like a very serious consideration. I hope I can find one in the Little Rock area because leaving there on the 8th, I have to drive to Charleston SC.
Thanks again.

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/19 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My fan clutch would cut in a start to roar at 207 degrees per my OBDII montior which I kept hooked up at all times. Since I traveled mostly in the Western mountains I was used to the temperatures rising but once the fan locked up things quickly got under control. If it was a long climb, the fan clutch would stay locked up but the temperature always stayed right around 207 degrees. As mentioned, keeping the RPM's up and slowing down on a long climb is the best way to control temps. Our coach was always loaded close to max and we always had a vehicle in tow.
You also need to make sure that your radiator cowl, as seen from underneath and behind the radiator, is sealed so that all air coming in to the front of the coach is directed through the radiator.
If you did not have overheating issues in the past than you have something that is correctable. You just have to find the exact issue and correct it. My coach would normally run all day at around 195(by my OBDII) no matter what the outside temperature was.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/19 11:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Given that you would be driving into a hurricane area, you may wish to modify that plan.

bigred1cav wrote:

I have to drive to Charleston SC.
Thanks again.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/19 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since he is not heading there until the 8th, the hurricane should have passed and what is left of Charleston will be waiting. Be sure to check ahead of time to make sure that you will have a place to park.

ArchHoagland

Clovis, CA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/19 10:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

crawford wrote:

ArchHoagland wrote:

crawford wrote:

ArchHoagland wrote:

Did the main engine fan clutch engage which produces a very loud roar?

When on high way fan isn't needed so clutch fan isn't the problem. Poor water flow between water pump or radiator or head gasket problem.

Hmmmm... Come on out west and climb a few mountains at 95 degrees and I'll guarantee you need the engine fan clutch to engage on an 8.1 engine.

Do you have an 8.1 engine?
so what you say once water temp goes down to it's coolest point you think the fan is going to cool the the engine some more Your probably one's who also think taking out thermostats make them run cooler to....

Once the coolant temperature goes back down the fan clutch disengages.

Still trying to find out if his fan clutch even engages. If it doesn't that could be part of the reason it is overheating.

2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/19 11:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did the shop return the old pump? I would hope the technician verified the impeller vanes matched with the new pump. Sometimes the basics are overlooked.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

drifterpilot

Gloucester, Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/19 06:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I arrived in Little Rock Sunday afternoon after a 344 mile run from Nashville. Started driving at 5:30am, outside temps were 63 deg and initially I again ran with the engine compt door open. My highway speed was 62mph. About 10:00am I decided to try something different. I shut the engine compt door; outside temps had climbed to 74 deg and during this period of driving reached the mid-80's. My engine temp stayed in the normal mid-range range as indicated on the temp gauge. At different times, the engine temp would climb 1 or 2 graduations on the gauge and then slowly come back to the normal area on the gauge. I maintained a constant 62mph. So at this point, I don't know if my thermostat was previously stuck and then cleared or if there was/is something going on with my fan clutch. In the past, I have heard the fan "roar" when it cut in at idle. I can't say I have heard it on this trip since last Friday. I do think its detrimental to engine cooling to run with the engine compt door open, because while I do have natural cooling (free flow air) to the engine, the fan clutch will not sense a heat buildup in the compt and probably will not cut in.
As a minimum, I will have my thermostat replaced as it is still original and the spring may be getting weak.
I did not get my original water pump returned, but I will retrieve it upon my return to VA.
So, I don't know if my problem is resolved, I will know more when I start heading east on Sunday; either toward SC or home to VA, depending what happens with the hurricane threatening the east coast. This forum has been great with all the commenting posts. I appreciate it.

2003 Winnebago Adventurer 33V
112,000 miles
Workhorse W20
Vortec 8.1, Allison 1000
Kingdome (in-motion tracking)
Bilstein shocks (installed July 2013)
Safe-T-Plus Steering Stabilizer
Blue Ox Adventa II and KarGuard
Brake Buddy
2019 Chevrolet Colorado LT 4-Wheel Dr

drifterpilot

Gloucester, Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/19 06:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Incidentally, OEM water pumps seem to start about $500.00.

4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/19 04:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keep in mind that the temp gauge on the Workhorse is not linear. In fact, it does not move AT ALL from 188-224, but instead stays at the 1/2 way point on the gauge. It rises from 105 to 188, then STAYS AT 1/2 ALL THE WAY TO 224. Then (and only then) the needle starts to rise again. So if you noticed the gauge actually rising above the halfway point, that means that your engine temp was already exceeding 225. If it got to the beginning of the amber area, it was at 260+ degrees!

My fan clutch kicks in (at any speed) when my temp reaches about 208, and will immediately drop the temps to about 204, where the clutch drops back out. I run over Chiraco Grade in SoCal in 100 degree heat pulling 3 PWC and never have seen the gauge go over 1/2.

We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R (2), '85 BW200, '07 TRX400EX, '12 Husky TE310
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II, '95 FX1

ArchHoagland

Clovis, CA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/19 06:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4van wrote:

Keep in mind that the temp gauge on the Workhorse is not linear. In fact, it does not move AT ALL from 188-224, but instead stays at the 1/2 way point on the gauge. It rises from 105 to 188, then STAYS AT 1/2 ALL THE WAY TO 224. Then (and only then) the needle starts to rise again. So if you noticed the gauge actually rising above the halfway point, that means that your engine temp was already exceeding 225. If it got to the beginning of the amber area, it was at 260+ degrees!

My fan clutch kicks in (at any speed) when my temp reaches about 208, and will immediately drop the temps to about 204, where the clutch drops back out. I run over Chiraco Grade in SoCal in 100 degree heat pulling 3 PWC and never have seen the gauge go over 1/2.

I run with a UltraGauge connected that shows my engine temperature and you are exactly right. When he said his gauge was moving up to the red I knew it was really high and hence asked him if he heard the loud roar of the fan clutch engaging.

He hasn't replied to that question yet so I hope things are OK with him.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> 8.1 Engine Running Hot
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.