cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace GENERAC generator in a Gulfstream

thomaszr
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2001 Gulf Stream with a Generac 55G generator that has an obsolete carburetor for the Briggs & Stratton engine.

All I've been able to find is a new expensive retro fit replacement for it.

Has anyone said to hell with it and just replaced the whole system with a different generator type or anything like that?

Please let me know if there are any common sense or innovative mad scientist solutions out there?
19 REPLIES 19

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
Did he check valve lash ?
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

kwplot34
Explorer
Explorer
525 hrs is pretty low, it should not be low on compression. Have a compression test and a leak down test done on the motor.

Rawicklund
Explorer
Explorer
My 1st post so I’m probably doing something wrong, and I’m uncertain how to address this to the OP.

Anyway I’m trying to see if OP was able to solve his problem. I have the same genset with the same B&S V Twin engine....still get most parts but some, like carb are obsolete.
My carb was also gummed and not working when I got my new to me MH...2002 Newmar.
I was able to repair carb and get unit running, but now I have hard start issues due to what I think is low compression. I’m trying to weigh repair vs replace engine, but I’m unable to find a compatible replacement.
Unit has 525 hrs according to meter, so I think it would be economical to replace whole engine. But other then model # I have no hp specs on engine. Local small engine shop was no help.....#303775-0110-01.
Anybody know a source for replacement engines?
Thanks in advance
Ray

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know this sounds strange but check Amazon. They have several carbs for Generac.
I have bought several carbs from them for other things and all have been good.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
I just had the Onan 4000 genset and it's fuel supply system gone through by a well recommended generator shop. Cost was $794. Also replaced two 6volt 4 year old house batteries. Good advice is to run generator for two hours per month with AC on for a load to keep it running reliably. Also, house batteries need to be kept charged and with electrolyte covering the plates, use distilled water and rubber bulb filler. Keep terminal connections clean. Check voltage with digital multi-meter while resting and while running the chassis engine or RV generator. Worth being a little obsessive for reliable genset operation.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
BillHoughton wrote:
I occasionally fantasize about replacing the Onan generator in our rig with a Honda - I've had occasion once or twice to use portable Honda generators, and you can't hear them running when you're standing next to them!

At one time Honda made two great RV generators. 4010 and 6010 were great packages.

Notice I said WERE.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

BillHoughton
Explorer II
Explorer II
I occasionally fantasize about replacing the Onan generator in our rig with a Honda - I've had occasion once or twice to use portable Honda generators, and you can't hear them running when you're standing next to them!

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
Generac Power Boss 5600 Watt Generator Briggs & Stratton 10 hp Engine Carburetor
Brand New · Carburetor
$18.99
Save up to 10% when you buy more
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Look around for a small engine repair shop to rebuild yours!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I spent $2000 having my 2004 Generac completely rebuilt last year; but, was a lot less than buying a brand new unit north of $4000. It's all in how you consider "cheap repair". Good luck.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
thomaszr wrote:
I was hoping to find something cheaper but I guess that word doesn't exist in the RV world.

Cheaper does exist - repairing/replacing carburetor vs replacing a generator which would cost BIG bucks.
Kevin

thomaszr
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of good ideas and options.

Lucky me to have a rare and hard to find niche one... 😞

I was hoping to find something cheaper but I guess that word doesn't exist in the RV world.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with others - new generator will be expensive and probably PIA to install - much easier to fix current carb. When I have generator issues I take my rig down to big rig truck dealer - all those refrigerated trucks have reefers/generators and those guys get pretty good at repairing generators. Just a thought.
Kevin

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
thomaszr wrote:
I must be looking in the wrong places or something.

The cheapest rebuild kit I could find was $137 dollars and a new carb was $390 and had to have some retro fitting done to it.

The Briggs & Stratton model # is 303775-0119-01.

Sounds a lot better than spending thousands for a new RV generator. How many hours on your current one?
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3