Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: OTA television while traveling?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> OTA television while traveling?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Lwiddis

Near Annett’s Mono Village, Bridgeport, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/19 03:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OTA exclusively for me when camping. I like the local stations.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/19 04:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PNW_Steve wrote:

Hey Everyone,

In this age of Internet and satellite TV, how many of you still watch OTA? How is coverage/reception of the new digital signal compared to the old analog? Its been that long..... [emoticon]

I use my good old Batwing (Winegard Sensar III) It has been upgraded with a wingman. and with the SENSAR PRO indoor mmodule Major improvement there.. This is the best antenna actually made for RV use.

Now if you are long term parked check out some of the amplifed BIG antennas from companies like Channel master.

But if you move about as I do.. THe Sensar IV (or a II or III with added wingman) and the Senar Pro module are hard to beat.

Need a TV-Guide...www.zap2it.com and click in the listings link.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

George3037

Central Square, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/19 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My TT has a batwing antenna which I use anytime I go camping. My Class A has a satellite and batwing antenna's and cable hookup but I use the batwing for OTA channels. I don't subscribe to satellite services. Most areas I go I can get anywhere from 15-34 channels that are perfectly clear as if watching cable. The older TV's I had would scan up to about 70 channels but never lock onto any channels so I replaced them with newer flat screens. Many of the channels I get are duplicates. They are just sent OTA from different cities. I'm going to upgrade the Class A batwing to a new style since it only cranks up and down but not able to rotate (broken).

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/19 05:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In some testing that was done by a member with the proper equipment some time ago, the Jack was found to be an excellent antenna, however the Winegard Sensar IV was found to be the best,(IN THAT TEST). Especially if the winegard is located in such a way to interfere with the ACs. As you know, the Winegard does take up additional space when stowed.

Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)
2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/19 05:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the MH we only have the OTA antenna and/or the cable connection for parks that offer it. When you get a good signal, the quality of the picture is far better than analog, you typically have more channels/sub channels to choose from. But just as it was in the analog times, getting a good strong signal can be hit or miss. Storms, trees (with or without their foliage), buildings, wind, a flock of pelicans can temporarily block signals.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/19 06:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use this BATWING Antenna setup on the side of our off-road POPUP... We pick up many channels... I can't remember not ever picking up something haha... I can reach thru the window flap and hand rotate the antenna... Camping up on SKYLINE DRIVE or the BLUE RIDGE PARKWAY we get a whole bunch of station but a lot are same channels from different towns...

[image]
Roy's image

This breaks down into a couple of pieces and is stored inside the area between the two pushed in tent beds when in travel mode...

Roy Ken
[image]

Belgique

Hickory, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/19 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use satellite when we can but when we get a treed site we use OTA. The bad part is we've gotten used to watching everything on a DVR so much that we can't stand watching something live.

Other than an expensive TiVO and an Amazon variant I'm not finding a DVR for OTA. There are some $40 devices at Walmart that some mention but mixed reviews. We do have a Roku so we can pick up some network shows...if we can get a wifi/cell signal. We are fulltimers so we watch more TV than weekend campers.

Anyone have a solution for a DVR for OTA?

Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/19 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Jack may be cheaper than the Winegard but at it's best it's half the antenna the winegard is (3db less forward gain at the frequency where it's closest in performance to the Winegard) based on independent lab tests done by a forum member.

TV reception is strange.. I was sitting in Davision, MI (East of Flint) the other day and the screen lit up with Channel 17... Transmitter in Gun Lake, Just east of Lake Michigan. about 200 miles as ye old signal flies. Winegard Senasar III with wingman and sensar pro.

Before the band conditions went to **** I routinely got Channel 6 Lansing (Transmitter in Onondaga) But never channel 10 (Same cities)
At the bottom of the band conditions channel 12 (Flint) is iffy.

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/19 05:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I searched for digital antenna. Apparently, not everyone squawks at the term.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/19 05:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

EVERYONE "should" squawk at the term digital antenna as there is simply no such thing. However, when you are trying to sell an antenna "digital" is a great marketing word and has been found to successfully sell antennas. A wire coat hanger stuck into the coax port in the back of your antenna will also receive the digital signal being broadcast so I guess your wire coat hangers could legally be sold as a digital antenna.
It's not the antenna that is digital. The signal the antenna receives is digital.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> OTA television while traveling?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.