Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: tires
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/19 08:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never mind folks, rbpru says the Chinese tires are now quality made since 2012 (can you post a copy of the memo or tell us your source?). We can start buying Chinese tires again with confidence knowing they're not going to bomb our trailers. BTW we're still getting exploded Chinese tires coming into the dealership. Seems they can't make the run from Indiana to Tucson. Hey, but what do I know.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited
2016 RZR 900

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/19 08:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

my current trailer came with towmax. Ran them for 30K miles till they were worn out and replaced them with goodyear endurance. Other trailer has Maxxis, but when they are worn out I'll likely go with endurance.

As for cost, the endurance I got when they came out were less than the equivalent sized and LR Maxxis.

Why endurance ST rather than an Lt?

1) in a 15" tire there are virtually (maybe actually) no LT LRD tires let alone LRE. LRC just doesn't cut it, I need at least a LRD. And I wasn't ready to go up to 16"

2) the endurance while an ST carries a 85mph speed rating and load rating markings same as passenger and LT tires do, which I suspect that to carry the speed rating per NHSTA means the tire passes the same test that a LT tire of the same speed rating and LR does. And the endurance speed rating doesn't require a reduction in load capacity like many of the other ST tires have for speeds above 65mph.

So I suspect that the endurance meets the ST tire requirements related to sidewall strength and LT tire ratings for load and speed.

BTW, between myself and 2 neighbors we have logged well over 400K miles towing trailers. One neighbor has close to 250K of those miles. Two of us have TPMS. Between us we have had nada, zip, zero tire failures. With the TPMS I did catch a slow leak from a nail before catastrophy as did the one that has over 250K miles. And all of us have been using ST tires. Maxxis on another trailer I had, and Maxxis the dominate tire on the other trailers till the endurance came out.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

rbpru

North Central Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/19 05:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would like to see DOT data showing any type, make, or style of tire is superior to any other.

If someone can show DOT failures rates per miles driven, that would end a lot of hear say, bias and anecdotal information that permeates this issue.

As I mentioned, like many things in life, the choice of tires is based on a person's personal comfort level. It is certain the RV industry is going to continue to use the tire they have always used.

The reason I picked 2012, is because that is when I started to notice a lot of tire discussions but precious little government agency facts to back them up.

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/19 07:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We can get a good idea how the different ST or LT or P tire brands are doing by surfing different trailer websites (rv and non rv) and see for ourselves which brands or tire type are handing out the most problems. On some non rv websites many trailer owners actually wear the tire out before the 3-5 years time out. Some non rv trailer owners can wear out 2 sets of LT tires a year at 40k-60k miles per set.

2010 and 2012 era was the time when 16" load G ST Sailun and ST Providers 15"/16" E/D/C load range started showing up on commercial trailers. Some of the many ST tire mfg had to to play catch up and come up with a better tire. Other ST tire mfg still still standing at the gate.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/19 06:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've ran nothing but Duro and Trailer King and yet to experience a single issue in many years of Rving.
Understand the load ratings and keep them properly inflated....I've always ran max psi.

rbpru

North Central Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/19 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This issue will never be resolved until a non-biased agency, typically governmental, issues a comprehensive study. Even then, few will change their minds.

There will always be anomalies like the Firestone/Ford fiasco decades ago to feed people's biases.

The fact remains that the RV industry is going to use the tires they are content with. If the consumer is not happy with them, they will have to upgrade on their own.

Well, that is how I see things but as always, everyone is free to do and believe as they please.

Safe travels

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/19 11:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Flan wrote:

Why does one spend money on ST tires instead of LT tires anyway? I will be due soon and have this argument in my head to go with truck tires...

Becasue one doesn't read the numerous ad nausem threads about the same subject on here.
Or more simply becasue regardless of what some people think, you cannot get LT tires with decent capacity in some sizes that you can get much more stout ST tires.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS