Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Let's talk generators - again.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Let's talk generators - again.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Planning

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/19 11:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Big Dog2 wrote:

Have you considered purchasing (yes, I am spending your money) composite propane bottles.

https://www.vikingcylinders.com/products/

Just a thought. Enjoy your retirement.

Nice but they do not appear ready for prime time. The largest RV tank they market is size equivalent to a 30lb but only holding 22 lbs. That is about a 25% loss of capacity.

2016 AF 29-5K; 2016 F350 6.7, 4x4, CCLB DRW

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/19 07:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A thought for shot stops in the heat with pets. Ours stay in the vehicle/pick up with the air on. Plenty of cold air. I bought one of those high idle things that are marketed for emergency vehicles that plugs into the OBD port. It can be set for whatever rpm you want when you flip the switch for high idle. My gasser runs at 900 - not a problem.

Anyway, a lot of good info on this thread.

DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/19 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave H M wrote:

A thought for shot stops in the heat with pets. Ours stay in the vehicle/pick up with the air on. Plenty of cold air. I bought one of those high idle things that are marketed for emergency vehicles that plugs into the OBD port. It can be set for whatever rpm you want when you flip the switch for high idle. My gasser runs at 900 - not a problem.

Anyway, a lot of good info on this thread.

This is my recommendation as well. The RV, closed up and in the sun for hours while traveling, will be very hot inside. It will take some time for it to begin to cool down, and before that happens, the animals will be subjected to very high heat.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/19 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Michelle.S wrote:

We have the on board Onan 5500 and when running both ACs (15K units) we will go thru a 40Lb tank in about 10 hours.

WOW !! Thirsty !!!!

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/19 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not really. Per the Onan specs at full load the Propane drinks 1.1 gal per hour, while a gas powered of the same model drinks .9 gal of gas per hour.
We don't have to carry Gasoline and find a place for the Gas Tank, and don't plan to run ours for extended periods, like just recently we've had several power failures lasting several hours. Go to the RV and make supper running the Genny.

2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

RoyBell

Chicago

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/19 06:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I rather have the Gasoline version personally. Easier to see how much fuel is left with an actual gauge. I would think you could get gasoline much easier than propane at any given moment. With 30 and 40 lb tanks you are limited to a refill rather than an exchange. I am only 37, but manhandling 30 and 40 lb propane tanks every time I go camping seems like an unnecessary chore to me.

Propane is less efficient than gasoline and costs more as well.

If propane is 1.1 gal per hour, for 48 hours of use you are using 52 gallons of LP. 1 gallon of propane= 4.2 lbs. My local joint is $1 per pound for a refill. 52 gallons x 4.2 lbs= 218lbs total. @ $1 per lb, that's $218 for 48 hours of generator use.

Gasoline version is .9 gal per hour, over 48 hours of use you use 43 Gallons of gas. Gas by me is currently 2.50 a gallon, so $86 in gasoline.

To extend that out, assume 400 hours of generator use for a year, which may be in line for a full timer?

Propane= $1848
Gasoline= $900

Another thought, if you only use half of your propane bottle, you still have to pull it out to refill it. If you use half of your gasoline, you can fill it up when you are filling up your vehicle.

The only downside of the gasoline version is gas doesn't last as long sitting idle. However, I never had an issue with gasoline if it's been treated for long term storage. This includes all my vehicles that sit for 5-6 months at a time over winter.

djousma

SW Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/19 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the issue of having a built-in gas generator is having EPA approved tank/vents/safety requirements. Toyhaulers typically meet this requirement because they also have on-board fueling stations at the rear of the unit, where I'm guessing the gas tank is also located. To add gas tank, etc to a standard 5th, would be a tougher upgrade(not that it cannot be done), but there additional risks to consider.

If I were doing this upgrade, I'd stick with propane, even though I'd prefer gas as well.

Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/19 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 5500 Onan LP. It does a great job. But I'm not an extended run user.
I am a convenience user.
I use it at some form of pit stop. But generally not for extended periods.
LP is not as efficient as gas and does not produce as much power as gas.
However if you are not running genset for extended periods LP is fine.
My rig came factory with 4-20# tanks. I can carry 80# without any additional effort.
If I know I'm going off grid for an extended period, I could easily grab a couple more tanks.
But for an occasional overnight and lots of pit stops LP is more than adequate.
A big advantage of LP over gas is that it burns clean and sores for long periods without issue. Gas gensets are known for gummed up carburetors and stale gas issues. LP gensets do not mind if they sit for awhile.
If you are an avid boondocker and go off grid for extended periods I suggest investing in solar.
However if you are a convenience user, looking to be self contained with push button electric available at any time. A built-in Onan LP can't be beat.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/19 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I too started off by using portables then switched to the on board Onan, but the LP 6500.. I went with that after a long conversation with Onan techs about max usage and we decided that would be best.

It is thirsty IF boon docking, if you do that kind of stuff.. BUT, if traveling, its is fantastic, just push a button and forget it... Every campground sells LP, and usually at a fair price if you cannot find it elsewhere..

When our 2016 fifth Wheel was totaled, I tossed around the idea of not swapping it into the new one, DW said there was no chance, IT HAD TO GO INTO the new one... And we all know about Happy Wives ! [emoticon]

Me-Her-the kids
2015 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020Redwood 3991RD Garnet

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/19 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

No campground where I live sells bulk propane--and few do exchange tanks.

ford truck guy wrote:

Every campground sells LP, and usually at a fair price if you cannot find it elsewhere..

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Let's talk generators - again.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS