Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Let's talk generators - again.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Let's talk generators - again.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/19 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the OP can live with a rack and enclosure on the rear of the RV, a 3400 watt Champion with remote electric start would be a good choice.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/19 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My thoughts, for what they're worth...

1. I totally agree with the poster that called the Onans "Neanderthals". They =are=, and it still baffles me why they haven't started making inverter-type generators OR that Honda, Yamaha, Champion, etc. haven't started making Onan-style gen-packs.

2. I'd prefer gas over LP as we typically camp well over 5,000', usually around 7,000', and LP just poops out, BUT I do understand the overall convenience of LP. I don't have an issue with storing gas as Sta-Bil is my friend.

3. Not sure if the Onans have a remote start fob, but that would be useful for starting the genny and A/C before stopping to get the rig cooled down for the fur kids. With the slides in and both A/Cs running, bet it'd cool down PDQ.

4. Personally, I'd still favor a mounted portable on a rear rack.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 62 Year Member

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/19 02:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Hi,

No campground where I live sells bulk propane--and few do exchange tanks.

ford truck guy wrote:

Every campground sells LP, and usually at a fair price if you cannot find it elsewhere..

Move south ! !

Only Kidding ! .. I have to say that almost every campground I have been at sells propane refills.. BUT then again, i usually stay on the East Coast and at larger campgrounds...

Come to think of it, there was only 1 place that I stayed at in the last 2 years that I can remember that did not sell it, that was the DE state Park..

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/19 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DownTheAvenue wrote:

Dave H M wrote:

A thought for shot stops in the heat with pets. Ours stay in the vehicle/pick up with the air on. Plenty of cold air. I bought one of those high idle things that are marketed for emergency vehicles that plugs into the OBD port. It can be set for whatever rpm you want when you flip the switch for high idle. My gasser runs at 900 - not a problem.

Anyway, a lot of good info on this thread.

This is my recommendation as well. The RV, closed up and in the sun for hours while traveling, will be very hot inside. It will take some time for it to begin to cool down, and before that happens, the animals will be subjected to very high heat.

I would not feel comfortable inside Cracker Barrel eating lunch with my truck engine running to keep A.C going for the dog! Sorry but I do not have that much faith in my fellow man that someone won't drive off with my truck,5th wheel and dog!
However leaving dog inside RV with the AC on is easy with the 5500 lp.
Push the button for the electric, and turn on the AC. No cords, no chains,no gas worries. Far fewer security risk.

Secondly yes the RV can be hot but it starts to cool immedaily. 2 AC's going with slides retracted you feel the cool air immediately.
The animals are not exposed to very high heat. Certainly no worse than getting into a hot car during the summer. My dog is very content in RV with AC on.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/19 03:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:

1. I totally agree with the poster that called the Onans "Neanderthals". They =are=, and it still baffles me why they haven't started making inverter-type generators OR that Honda, Yamaha, Champion, etc. haven't started making Onan-style gen-packs.

2. I'd prefer gas over LP as we typically camp well over 5,000', usually around 7,000', and LP just poops out, BUT I do understand the overall convenience of LP. I don't have an issue with storing gas as Sta-Bil is my friend.

3. Not sure if the Onans have a remote start fob, but that would be useful for starting the genny and A/C before stopping to get the rig cooled down for the fur kids. With the slides in and both A/Cs running, bet it'd cool down PDQ.

Lyle

Prior to getting my current rig I had a mounted portable genset on a custom welded platform. It was a very nice set up. That old set up was almost as nice my current built in set up.
However I still had to deal with cas gans, I had to physically plug RV into unit.
it was electric start, but no key fob.
It was a fantastic set up in many ways. However it was not powerful enough to run both AC's. Most portables cannot power 2 AC units. Those large portables that can power to AC's are very heavy.AT some point their weight impacts the convenience factor

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/19 05:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:

Lyle

Onan makes inverter style gensets in Diesel.

Honda makes a 6000 watt RV genset. EV6000 I think.

I think Onan dropped their remote but I think Intelletic or others do.

Bumper mounts are loud and not allowed at many venues.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/19 06:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, Onan makes an inverter...in diesel. That means they have the tech, so why not put it in a gas genset? This is my point.

Honda =used= to make a genset, but it appears that it's no longer made.

I've seen a couple bumper mount gensets that were almost silent. They were mounted in enclosures on a rear rack.

Lyle

* This post was edited 09/04/19 08:51am by an administrator/moderator *

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/19 08:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I haven't seen an genset that is silent when producing enough electric to run 2 -RV AC units. Yes they may be silent in econo mode recharging batteries but they are not silent when producing max. power.
Onan's are designed to frequently, put out lots of power,for a long time. Fuel efficiency is lower on their list of priorities.

The OP has stated he would like a built because he doesn't want to handle,haul, carry or set up anything.
He wants push button convenience above anything else.
With that in mind an Onan LP is the way to go.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/19 08:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

I haven't seen an genset that is silent when producing enough electric to run 2 -RV AC units. Yes they may be silent in econo mode recharging batteries but they are not silent when producing max. power.
Onan's are designed to frequently, put out lots of power,for a long time. Fuel efficiency is lower on their list of priorities.

The OP has stated he would like a built because he doesn't want to handle,haul, carry or set up anything.
He wants push button convenience above anything else.
With that in mind an Onan LP is the way to go.

I think the OP is well informed now . I agree the Onan LP is great, its simple here ,if you want to run it for hours on end, be prepared to be able to have a convenient propane source or haul a bunch of extra tanks.

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/19 06:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back in 2017 we were boondocking at the NASCAR race in Richmond and it was HOT ! ! ! We mostly ran 2 AC's ( both 15k), but sometimes dropped to 1, from Friday, till 6:00 AM Monday .. morning.. All in all, we used 5 of the 40# bottles...

There is a Costco about 10 minutes away, we ran there Saturday afternoon and refilled.. I also have an office in Richmond and was able to transport 2 empty 40# bottles via shuttle truck to that office so I did not have to carry them all the way down there...
Like stated, not ideal for long term boondocking, but workable... PERFECT for short term, naps, breaks, ect.....

* This post was edited 09/04/19 08:53am by an administrator/moderator *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Let's talk generators - again.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.