cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Trailer and Truck

ggates
Explorer
Explorer
I currently pull a TT (<10k) with a 08 Ford Superduty (SRW). We are looking at switching to a new trailer (5ver) and likely a new truck. We are considering a Grand Design (Solitude 344gk). It maxes at around 16k lbs. We really love the new 2020 GMCs. I also intend to put a fuel tank in the bed (1000 lbs) and a heavy hitch (Hensley).

My dilemma is SRW vs DRW. I really prefer a SRW (size, parking, etc.), but don't want to make a mistake and have to replace the truck in 2 years. I live in NM, so altitude and mountains are a real effect, but we want to use it to travel the country as I retire.

Any real world advice/experience would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
17 REPLIES 17

librty02
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
^Nope, not in NM. RVs are exempt from CDL. May need a class E depending on weight, but not in the OP's case.

I did dig deeper into this and it seems you do need the class E license for anything gross combined over 26k which the OP will be over that amount.
2011 FORD F-150 FX4 CREW CAB ECO...
2018 Ford F-150 Max Tow Crew 6.5 3.5 Eco...
2013 Keystone Passport 2650BH, EQUAL-I-ZER 1K/10K

ggates
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the good advice. We decided on the Solitude 344gk and just ordered. It is going to be a long 13 weeks waiting for it to arrive. Now I just need to get the truck. Going with the DRW. Originally I thought I wanted one of the new 2020 GMC Denalis. They seem like a really nice truck. But you can't find them anywhere. So it looks like I am going to stay with a Ford. Back to the dealer today to decide between a F350 and F450.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Nope, not in NM. RVs are exempt from CDL. May need a class E depending on weight, but not in the OP's case.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

librty02
Explorer
Explorer
ggates wrote:
I currently pull a TT (<10k) with a 08 Ford Superduty (SRW). We are looking at switching to a new trailer (5ver) and likely a new truck. We are considering a Grand Design (Solitude 344gk). It maxes at around 16k lbs. We really love the new 2020 GMCs. I also intend to put a fuel tank in the bed (1000 lbs) and a heavy hitch (Hensley).

My dilemma is SRW vs DRW. I really prefer a SRW (size, parking, etc.), but don't want to make a mistake and have to replace the truck in 2 years. I live in NM, so altitude and mountains are a real effect, but we want to use it to travel the country as I retire.

If you don't have a CDL already you may want to look into your state laws for towing an RV also as it looks like you will be required to have a Class A CDL for any combined gross weight over 26,000 lbs. All states that I know of go off the GVWR of both vehicles combined not off of what they might weigh when loaded. A 14000 GVWR truck and a 16800 GVWR trailer would put you at 30800 lbs combined. If it were me I wouldn't even consider a SWR for a 16.8k GVWR 5th wheel...
2011 FORD F-150 FX4 CREW CAB ECO...
2018 Ford F-150 Max Tow Crew 6.5 3.5 Eco...
2013 Keystone Passport 2650BH, EQUAL-I-ZER 1K/10K

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I pull my 16000 lb RV with my SRW and have absolutely no issues. I wouldn't be throwing a 1000 lbs of fuel in the bed of my truck though. I think the new GMC SRW could quite easily handle the load your talking without issue. I believe it has a GVWR of 12400 lbs. I've heard the 2020 Ford SRW will be 12400 lbs as well.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

ggates
Explorer
Explorer
All,

Thanks for the great advice. Now I just need to get the wife to decide. If she wants the Solitude, we get a DRW. If she is willing to live with the lighter Reflection, then she can have a SRW. Going trailer shopping today. Either way a get a new truck. Should be fun.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
SRW doable? Some will say, change tires, add air bags, use an alum hitch. Problem is you CANNOT change weight ratings/capacity of truck. Period. If you had nothing whatsoever in truck or 5er, then yes you could, but what fun is that w/o family, personal items and food?

Yes the new tow ratings from GM has caught many attention for SRW, but IMO, you will find you'll max out real quick even with a 3500.

Let me give you a personal example:

Dec '14, bought a '15 F350 SRW,4x4,cc,sb,6.7. Added/replaced factory fuel tank w/a Transfeflow 50 gallon tank. Truck scaled out at 8700 w/o anyone in cab, GVW of 11,500. Had a '06 Cedar Creek Silverback w/ dry wt of 10,800, max wt of 13,800. Fully loaded netted 2,000 pin so 10,700 on truck, total gross of 21,500. All within legal limits of truck all the way around. ALRIGHT I said! Truck towed awesome with this coach.

Enter 2017 and we upgrade 5ers to a '18 Big Country with a advertised dry pin of 2,888, dry wt of 13,420 and max wt of 16,000. With same '15 F350, fully loaded and B&W Patriot, I now had 3740 pin, 7360 on truck's rear axle, 12,350 on truck, gross combo of 24,470. 5er's actual dry weight was 14,000. Truck's axle capacity is 7,000 and max combo 23,500. So now I'm over all the way around. Added upper/lower Stableloads, but ended up taking the uppers off. Truck towed this coach well also, but had to be in mindset that I'm over and keep a safe distance between me and vehicle in front. Towed to Maine from CNY w/o any problems.

2018 comes and now our vaykay plans have us leaning towards FL in Aug. Knowing I was already over on truck (which this didn't bother me too much), but over on the tires planted a huge gut feeling in my stomach that wouldn't go away. Just knowing the normal heat generated on tires, add in the extra weight on them, higher air and road temps down south wasn't setting too well w/ me. Needless to say, bought a '17 F350 DRW, cc,4x4,6.7. Hated to part ways w/ the '15, but after towing down/back, wife driving part ways and her saying she felt better driving/towing w/ the DRW vs the SRW (when she doesn't drive/tow a lot), knew after all this it was a smart decision. Yes I still miss my SRW truck for bopping around town and towing my snowmobile trailer as well as just having a SRW in snow, but the DRW was the way to go and would highly recommend the same if your looking at a trl wt closing in on 16k. IMO, SRW are good up to 14 to NO more than 15K max trailer weights. Just the piece of mind the DRW brought to me w/ wife towing this much weight was worth it. FWIW, the gut feeling went away except now having to pay for it! LOL
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Mote wrote:
Like the others have said a SRW may be capable, but since you are planning on traveling the country with this setup you will really appreciate the extra stability of the dually.
We just have a small 30 foot fifth wheel. When we went from SRW to Dually I was amazed at the difference in handling.

^This.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Mote
Explorer
Explorer
Like the others have said a SRW may be capable, but since you are planning on traveling the country with this setup you will really appreciate the extra stability of the dually.
We just have a small 30 foot fifth wheel. When we went from SRW to Dually I was amazed at the difference in handling.
2005 Dodge 3500
2001 Lance 1030
2006 Cougar 29RL

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
It’s certainly safely doable ( at least with a Ram 😉 ) with some upgrades to the truck.....though, you may potentially have liability issues if you are at fault in an accident! We’re running the Hensley, some stuff in the bed, and towing a 5er that grosses-out a little over 20K pounds, and occasionally tow doubles! But, to make it a safe tow rig.....upgrades are seriously recommended!

Though....the 1000pounds of fuel would likely be a “deal-breaker”! If you kept it at a more reasonable 500 pounds or less.....maybe! I also, would “not” consider.....unless the trailer has disk brakes! As earlier stated.....upgrades! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Absolutely no debate with that weight of a trailer, duals. You may even be approaching the 450 arena.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
ggates wrote:
I guess the question was as much about hitch weight as capacity (since I would be new to 5ver).

Math follows:

If I assume 10-15% tongue weight of 16K = 1600-2400 lbs. With fuel (1000 lb), plus hitch and DW (500 lb), that would put me just under 4000 lbs (payload of a SRW - 4078 lbs).

But I have seen people indicate 20-25% tongue weight (3200-4000). That again puts me at 4000+1000+500 = 5500. About the payload of a DRW (5607 lbs).

So depending on what the actual hitch weight is, I could be up against the weight limit for either SRW or DRW.

Bigger is "always" better. I just was wondering if anyone made a SRW work.

Let me start over, welcome to the forum! 🙂

Yes, a normal FW pin wt will be 20 percent or more. By adding the heavy loads you mentioned, a DRW would be the tool for the job. A SRW may work for you, without the extra tank, but a full load for sure.

You see a lot of overloaded mismatches on the road, so they are doing it.

You will enjoy the FW experience. Stay under the RAWR/tire rating, and a FW will handle well, even while a little over payload.

Jerry

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
ggates wrote:

Dry weight on that trailer is 12600 lbs from the factory. Based on my Grand design trailer add about 400 lbs to that for 13,000 lbs. Add 1500 lbs of stuff you are at 14,500. At 22% pin weight would be 3190 lbs. Add 1000 lbs fuel and 300 lbs hitch total payload is nearly 4500 lbs. My SRW Ram 3500 has a payload of 3830. Seen as high as 4150 when shopping. I think you are gong to need a DRW truck.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

ggates
Explorer
Explorer
I guess the question was as much about hitch weight as capacity (since I would be new to 5ver).

Math follows:

If I assume 10-15% tongue weight of 16K = 1600-2400 lbs. With fuel (1000 lb), plus hitch and DW (500 lb), that would put me just under 4000 lbs (payload of a SRW - 4078 lbs).

But I have seen people indicate 20-25% tongue weight (3200-4000). That again puts me at 4000+1000+500 = 5500. About the payload of a DRW (5607 lbs).

So depending on what the actual hitch weight is, I could be up against the weight limit for either SRW or DRW.

Bigger is "always" better. I just was wondering if anyone made a SRW work.