Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Full timers warning
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Full timers warning

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
JG

Williamsburg, Virginia, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/19 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For you folks who full time. We were sitting by the fire with the owner of a RV park. ( We were spending the week.)

He brought up the full timers helps keep the lights on during the winter. He also said the IRS called him & wanted a list of people who were full timers. He told them he had no full timers just people who pay month to month. Someone stopped by & interviewed his full timers & they told him they were not full timers but rented month to month.

So something is up with the government. Be careful out there.

2019 Casita Liberty
2015 Chevy Truck
Wonderful wife since 1969

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/19 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JG wrote:

For you folks who full time. We were sitting by the fire with the owner of a RV park. ( We were spending the week.)

He brought up the full timers helps keep the lights on during the winter. He also said the IRS called him & wanted a list of people who were full timers. He told them he had no full timers just people who pay month to month. Someone stopped by & interviewed his full timers & they told him they were not full timers but rented month to month.

So something is up with the government. Be careful out there.

or it could be another phone scam!

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

lbrjet

Gold Canyon, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/19 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't believe that story for a second. The IRS doesn't make phone calls asking for information.

2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

jfkmk

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/19 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Uh oh! Another conspiracy theory!

Mr.Mark

Out West and Mid South

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/19 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't get it, people full time in apartment rentals and people rent trailers set up full time in trailer parks.

It looks like to me that if the story is true, the IRS is looking at the owner and maybe how much he is claiming as income.

I remember reading once when the IRS audited a pizza shop. They looked at how much raw material was purchased and divided up into pizza's, the numbers didn't match so they were investigated further.

MM.

Mr.Mark

2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo w/1,750 lb. ft. of torque, 1.5 baths, 4 slides.
2017 Lincoln MKX AWD V6 335 hp twin turbo.

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/19 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lbrjet wrote:

Don't believe that story for a second. The IRS doesn't make phone calls asking for information.
This is an absolute FACT. The IRS only initiates communications via Certified US mail or in person if you don't answer numerous mail requests. They don't phone you and don't contact you via E-mail.
The Federal Government has better things to do than send around agents to interview residents of RV parks. What can they gain by finding out someone was living in the park full time? Federal income taxes are based on income, not residency.
It is vaguely conceivable the local government did do a survey to determine if they could somehow get some added tax dollars for the school system if they could prove the park was actually not an RV park but rather a mobile home community. That might allow them to either tax the park or the residents as mobile homes or grab some extra state or federal dollars that might be allocated on population.
Then again, the guy might be telling stories from years gone by and those mysterious interviewers were Census Workers. It sure wasn't the IRS.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/19 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mr.Mark wrote:

I remember reading once when the IRS audited a pizza shop. They looked at how much raw material was purchased and divided up into pizza's, the numbers didn't match so they were investigated further.

MM.

I know of people that have all cash businesses and they were investigated down to the coffee cups and ketchup packets bought. The investigation was triggered by an automobile purchased with cash.

Running and minding your own business is frowned upon, sneaking under the fence is encouraged.

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/19 10:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As mentioned above, be more suspicious of local government. I know from my military time, we were given questionaires annually by local schools in an effort to access additional funds for school systems. Likewise tracking local area resident data can be used for federal funds in housing and other social service agencies.
All of Government is just as interested in maximizing their incoming funds just as much as a business is.

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/19 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

Mr.Mark wrote:

MM.

I know of people that have all cash businesses and they were investigated down to the coffee cups and ketchup packets bought. The investigation was triggered by an automobile purchased with cash.

Running and minding your own business is frowned upon, sneaking under the fence is encouraged.
Sorry, but tax evasion is just as much a crime as illegal immigration. Just because you don't like the approach to the enforcement of one law doesn't mean enforcement of all other laws should be suspended. In today's economy a cash business is an anomaly and does raise a giant red flag. The audit you describe would be the best way to catch tax evasion in that type of business. As a faithful tax payer I appreciate it whenever the government cracks down on those who cheat. They aren't cheating the government, they are cheating me!
BTW, I am sure an actual solution to the border problem would be greatly appreciated. I reside in the great middle of that debate favoring neither open borders nor a resurrection of the Iron Curtain. Currently all I see is a great deal of the flapping of wings and righteous indignation on both sides. What I don't see is a workable pathway to a solution.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/19 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JG wrote:

Someone stopped by & interviewed his full timers & they told him they were not full timers but rented month to month.

Did the CG owner get I.D. from the (alleged) IRS employees?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Full timers warning
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS