cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with full timing over the winter

luvmydogs
Explorer
Explorer
We have been on a search for a home in the northeast and have come up empty. We are running out of time and will probably have to escape here till spring next year. We spent winter in Florida a few years ago and I wont get my husband back down there for anything, so in my mind the only other place to winter would be west, maybe Arizona? Love to hear advice on where to go and how to get somewhere to park. We don't mind floating from place to place for the 6 months or so, not sure I want to be parked the whole time in one place anyways, but have no clue where to go or how to find places to stay months or weeks at a time. Mind you we are doing this in a small travel trailer, so it not quite as fun and great as it sounds. Any help, advice or suggestions would be appreciated, not looking forward to this at all. Thanks in advance.
60 REPLIES 60

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
luvmydogs wrote:
I guess thats number one on the list of "whats wrong with Florida". lol lol

:B:B:B
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
I'm renting a brand new (small) 3-bedroom, 2 bath house in Pereira, Colombia for 6 months for $400 per month. Electric, gas, water, Internet, and cable cost about another $100 per month, total. The temperature here goes from a low of about 60 to a high of about 80 all 365 days a year, year after year. The houses don't even have A/C or heating because you never need it. Not a bad way to spend the Winter. In March I'm going back to the US to tour the country in an RV.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

luvmydogs
Explorer
Explorer
I guess thats number one on the list of "whats wrong with Florida". lol lol

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's a joke, right? Are you the same one who has made this exact same post over and over again? I should have looked first. Yes, you are! Go back to FL and leave the rest of us alone.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

ghooos
Explorer
Explorer
Before giving advice I'd like to know what was wrong with Florida.

luvmydogs
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Ed, just pm'ed you back

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
luvmydogs wrote:
Thanks Mr Ed, would you have the name to that mobile home park in Tuscon?

Also, to Ghooos, I think that ship has sailed.

luvmydogs, I sent you a PM with the info some time ago. If you didn't receive it, let me know.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
tjfogelberg wrote:
Thousand Trails is my answer to the question of where to land for the winter. With the Trails Collection, I have access to 190 parks. Lots of good parks in Florida, Arizona, and Texas. Not to mention California which I haven't been to yet. Can move "park to park" and mix it up with stays in state parks and private campgrounds. Solves the dilemma of which place is best. With the "Elite" contract, you can make reservations 120 days in advance.

1, I don't know the age of folks involved but the Trails Collection parks in Arizona are all Age Qualified (i.e. 55+). The only non-AQ park in AZ is the Thousand Trails park.

2, Trails Collection is limited to a 60 day reservation window regardless of your Thousand Trails membership. I have Elite and am at 120 days for most TT parks but not TC parks.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

tjfogelberg
Explorer
Explorer
Thousand Trails is my answer to the question of where to land for the winter. With the Trails Collection, I have access to 190 parks. Lots of good parks in Florida, Arizona, and Texas. Not to mention California which I haven't been to yet. Can move "park to park" and mix it up with stays in state parks and private campgrounds. Solves the dilemma of which place is best. With the "Elite" contract, you can make reservations 120 days in advance.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Best place , North Central Fl. and West into the panhandle staying 20 miles or so from the Gulf . Lots of small towns , friendliest people [ we send the grumps to Disney and beyond ], best fishing , salt or fresh ,monthly rents $250 to $350. We do not need high priced amenities , we got springs , forests , manatees ,kayaks, A few Yankees , mostly nice [ Ya can always spot the mean ones , black t-shirts ] .

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
It's been answered by many.
I can start a new list and others can jump in if you like.
Too hot.
Too humid.
Too many bugs.
God's waiting room.
Too many reckless old folks behind the wheel.
Did I mention the bugs? Love bugs twice a year are the worst other than the killer skeeters that keep you indoors all mornings and all evenings.

Florida is a big state with 20 to 30 degree differences any time of the year.

Sounds like you have only stayed in the southern part of Florida which we call the swamps! Which IS where you WILL encounter very hot temps, very high Humidity, bugs, snakes, gators, CG's sardine packed with snowbirds who don't know any better. :B

I could tell you where I stay in Florida that has NONE of what you listed but does have beautiful crystal clear springs and rivers and 'real' forests with real trees, numerous CG's with trees and big sites, etc etc., but then again, I like the tranquility this area has right now without all the crazies finding out about it! :W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
ghooos wrote:
Before giving advice I'd like to know what was wrong with Florida.

How many times are you going to post this same thing? Can you not read?

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
luvmydogs wrote:

I drive past the park frequently. Next time I do, I'll get the info for you. I did notice that there is a space open at this moment where I've seen motor homes before, although it may be reserved already. It appears to be a well maintained place.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

luvmydogs
Explorer
Explorer