cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Questions for RVers with DISH

TC_Z
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, we recently bought a Winegard G3 carryout antenna and DISH receiver. It works fine, but takes some fiddling, and patience to get it running. I attribute that to me being new and not knowing what I am doing.

I have read, and reread the instructions several times. After I get set up and everything is connected I turn ON the power inserter. My question: is the receiver supposed to already be ON too? Or I am supposed to turn the receiver ON after the antenna has completed pointing. Or does it matter?

Also, on the receiver TEST SWITCH menu there is an option to ALTERNATE ON/OFF at bottom. It defaults to OFF. Do I ever change to ON? Or always leave OFF. This isn't covered anywhere I can find.

Many thanks, safe travels....
TC&Z
2007 Winn Voyage 38J, gas 8.1L engine
2018 Jeep Cherokee flat tow
12 REPLIES 12

campermama
Explorer II
Explorer II
Range Maggot Bob wrote:
Edd505 wrote:
are you running through the RV wiring? I find mine starts faster when I run the coax though a window and attach it direct. I use an adapter like this: https://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express-Window-Coaxial-Coupler/dp/B0002KR74A

Satellite Bill- even though I'm going through the RV satellite hookup, do you think running direct would makes things easier and faster? And then undo and hook-up to the RV? Thanks for any info!

CamperMama- how's your satellite set-up going?

I just posted an update in my thread.....
2018 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie,SRW,CTD,4x4,Long bed
2020 Jayco eagle ht 274ckds

My Adventure Blog:
https://roaddivaontheroad.blogspot.com/2020/03/getting-ready.html

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Range Maggot Bob wrote:
Edd505 wrote:
are you running through the RV wiring? I find mine starts faster when I run the coax though a window and attach it direct. I use an adapter like this: https://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express-Window-Coaxial-Coupler/dp/B0002KR74A

Satellite Bill- even though I'm going through the RV satellite hookup, do you think running direct would makes things easier and faster? And then undo and hook-up to the RV? Thanks for any info!

It's always best to start with a direct run from the antenna to the receiver. If that works but anything else does not, you have isolated the issue.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
Edd505 wrote:

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Winegard G3 and Playmaker are not the same antenna and work differently. That's why they have different names.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Range_Maggot_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
eHoefler wrote:
You need to turn them both on at the same time. If the antenna is on for 5 minutes with out a signal from the reciever, it will shut down.

Not mine. Went out today and heard my Playmaker making that funny sound when it's trying to find a satellite. Went inside the RV and everything was off.

TC_Z
Explorer
Explorer
eHoefler wrote:
You need to turn them both on at the same time. If the antenna is on for 5 minutes with out a signal from the reciever, it will shut down.

Good to know, thank you. Wish all this was documented somewhere....
TC&Z
2007 Winn Voyage 38J, gas 8.1L engine
2018 Jeep Cherokee flat tow

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ed_Gee wrote:
I thought those portable satellite dishes were powered up the coax by the receiver, which means they are not even on until the receiver is on......??

The DISH Playmaker antenna is powered via the coax cable and DISH receiver. The G3 is external powered and can be set to work DISH, DIRECTV, or BELL receivers.
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
My Carry Out GM1518 has a separate power supply and cable. There are many satellite antennas that do get there power from the receiver but mine isn't one of them. I'm not sure about the OP's newer G3 model.

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
I thought those portable satellite dishes were powered up the coax by the receiver, which means they are not even on until the receiver is on......??
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
I use a CarryOut GM1518. I always try to turn it on first but don't necessarily wait for it to finish locking on before turning on the power to the receiver while we're setting up. I don't know if it makes any difference though. Ir still takes several minutes for everything to settle out and get all the guide downloaded before I can watch anything. The dish has enough intelligence to lock on to satellites without being connected to the receiver.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System