cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Louder TV??

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have a 19" TV (Sony I think) and has reasonably loud sound for the most part, however, if I run the generator and a/c unit, it's difficult to hear the words. I do a lot of "off grid" camping so it is quite often I run the generator and a/c. Secondly, lost most of my hearing in one ear due to a benign brain tumor, so I have slight trouble hearing words anyway (ie: that, cat, hat, bat, etc all sound the same so I lose the context of the conversation). Anyway, tried a bluetooth wireless speaker but wasn't even as loud as the built-in speaker on the TV, and having the sound behind me on each side of the couch was even worse for my limited hearing since I'm facing the TV but sound is from the side/rear. Was thinking of trying a sound bar next, but just wondering if anyone else has similar hearing issue and solved this problem in the RV.
20 REPLIES 20

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Installed another ZVOX in my house yesterday and has made a world of difference! Terrific product in the RV and house. Didn't realize how much I was straining to hear, but, this soundbar is great for voice. Super product and highly recommend. Keeping the volume down on the TV is a blessing for everyone.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Learn something every day!

I might try that Zvox gadget. Amazon'll let me try it for 30 days.

I tried a Bose bar, but wasn't impressed -- Costco got it back within their 30 days too.

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
From what I read, the ZVOX allows user to increase the AUDIO/VOICE portions separate from the overall volume of the program which sounds perfect in most situations I've experienced (just can't hear the dialog clearly). It has 6 levels to increase the volume of the words....I'll post a reply once it arrives and I try it out. It would be nice to not be blasting the volume all the time just to hear what's being spoken.

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
The Bose Solo 5 solved my issues just like yours. The sound enhance feature is great. And the universal remote that comes with this unit is superb as well.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:
headphones? especially the noise cancelling ones.
That's what I was thinking, as long as you are watching TV by yourself.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
still in class c
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
I wear hearing aids. Our TV audio goes wireless to my hearing aids. I stepped into someones home once, while there tv was on and thought how poor the audio was, then realized how great mine is to my hearing aids.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
We bought the Zvox soundbar from HSN for $129.It works well but has it's own remote. You may be able to sync it with your TV remote.

It has much better sound than tiny speakers on flat screen TV's. Movies with a lot of "hushed tones" and high speed babble on commercials is irritating especially if you are hard of hearing like me. Headphones may be another solution for you if you can leave regular sound on for your wife.

Now $149

https://www.hsn.com/products/zvox-accuvoice-tv-soundbar-with-6-level-dialogue-boost-/8812050

marty1300
Explorer
Explorer
We had the same issue, we bought a sub woofer and 2 powered speakers . Plugged into the headphone jack, worked great. Our generator was right under the dinette and AC right above so log if extra noise in small space. Our RV was only 25'
Marty

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow, thanks for all the replies! I clicked on the ZVOX link and this "sounds" (no pun intented) like the exact fix for what is/are my hearing issues. Hoping the volume is high to help further drown out the a/c unit overhead. But, overall, the description of what this soundbar does should greatly assist with enjoying a DVD while on the beach relaxing between tides. As an aside, they say my hearing may improve over time as the nerve damage from the tumor may regrow and make a connection from the eardrum back to the brain. The body is a mysterious, marvelous thing. Thanks again for some alternatives!

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have to tried hooking the Tv to the AUX input on your Radio / CD player / DVD player. I did mine, and it plays thru the coach speakers.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
VA-Apraisr wrote:
Have a 19" TV (Sony I think) and has reasonably loud sound for the most part, however, if I run the generator and a/c unit, it's difficult to hear the words. I do a lot of "off grid" camping so it is quite often I run the generator and a/c. Secondly, lost most of my hearing in one ear due to a benign brain tumor, so I have slight trouble hearing words anyway (ie: that, cat, hat, bat, etc all sound the same so I lose the context of the conversation). Anyway, tried a bluetooth wireless speaker but wasn't even as loud as the built-in speaker on the TV, and having the sound behind me on each side of the couch was even worse for my limited hearing since I'm facing the TV but sound is from the side/rear. Was thinking of trying a sound bar next, but just wondering if anyone else has similar hearing issue and solved this problem in the RV.

I suggest doing it up right and getting a ZVOX soundbar. They have special voice enhancement sound processing technology built-in that can be invoked with a simple buttion push on the soundbar's remote control. ZVOX is well known for this technology. One of their small soundbars should be just the thing for better voice recognition for the TV(s) in your RV.

We have had their largest unit (their Sound Base 770) for our home TV for several years and their voice enhancement (and other speaker controls via their remote) has been a fantastic sound improvement over our TV's built-in speakers.

Here's the link to the ZVOX website: https://zvox.com/collections/accuvoice
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
I have trouble hearing people who muble or don't enunciate well. That became a problem with a Sony TV I bought for the bedroom. The audio is "muddy". I can hear it fine if I turn the volume up loud enough to annoy my wife.

I found a partial work around. Most of our TV watching is via a Roku device. I found the Roku app for my tablet. It allows me to redirect the TV audio to my tablet. I can place the tablet next to me and turn it up loud enough to hear without annoying my wife.
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
obgraham wrote:
I have this issue at home. It appears that the TV production folks have gone to a different style of dialogue, supposedly more "natural" in volume.

We've given up. Gone to wireless headphones.

I tried almost all the things that have been suggested and agree on the digital sound so I gave up and went Wireless Headphones

Tried the over ear ones,even noise cancelling ones those were all to hot and uncomfortable. The ones I linked worked out very well and I can hear everything including soft spoken words.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C