cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refill fresh water from when no gravity fill exists

kmb1966
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have a really good setup to fill fresh water in the tank when you don't have a gravity fill ability, and only a water hose method? I'd like to purchase something fairly ready-to-work so that I can re-fill fresh water when needed with some fresh water containers. I have several 6 gallon fresh water containers, but I am searching for options to do this. I need more information than just "find a pump" please.
16 REPLIES 16

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
A water bladder , bag , pillow what ever you want to call it
could be handy if you dry camp much .
Haul water in a pu or suv then just fold it up and stow away when not needed .

https://www.amazon.com/AQUATANK2-Water-Storage-Bladder-Gallon/dp/B009MU64Y0/ref=sr_1_3?hvadid=77859171029560&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=water+bladder+tank&qid=1567598659&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
4x4van wrote:
I always get a chuckle when I see these posts; and the extents that some will go to to put water into their tank. If your RV has a winterizing valve, then you already have everything you need. Simply turn your City/Fill valve to "Fill", and turn your winterizing valve to "winterize". Drop the winterizing line into a bucket of water and turn on your water pump. Your onboard pump will draw the water into the lines and then push into the freshwater tank. Refill bucket as needed.

Yep, that's what I had on our previous motorhome, but not on the current one. So I added it...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

kmb1966
Explorer
Explorer
4x4van wrote:
I always get a chuckle when I see these posts; and the extents that some will go to to put water into their tank. If your RV has a winterizing valve, then you already have everything you need. Simply turn your City/Fill valve to "Fill", and turn your winterizing valve to "winterize". Drop the winterizing line into a bucket of water and turn on your water pump. Your onboard pump will draw the water into the lines and then push into the freshwater tank. Refill bucket as needed.

BINGO!
THANK YOU!
🙂

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
I always get a chuckle when I see these posts; and the extents that some will go to to put water into their tank. If your RV has a winterizing valve, then you already have everything you need. Simply turn your City/Fill valve to "Fill", and turn your winterizing valve to "Winterize". Drop the winterizing line into a bucket of water and turn on your water pump. Your onboard pump will draw the water into the lines and then push it into the freshwater tank. Refill bucket as needed.

If your RV doesn't have a winterizing valve, you can add one for less than $15 here.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a 3 gal solar bladder that I fill using an external water supply then remove one of the over flow tubes that attach at the top of the main tank then insert the tube from the badder which I hang from the side of the MH. It takes a few minutes and is enough for a shower or two.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
It’s not uncommon in older fill stations to find faucets with no threads or hoses with no male ends.

I have on occasion used a hose with the female connector cut off to slip over a smooth faucet and fastened it temporarily with electrical tape to fill.

For an alternative, I’d use a portable submersible pump in a bucket. Let the source water run in the bucket and pump it up to the motor home.

I’d have no interest at all in installing an old style gravity fill. We have a 100 gallon tank, there’s no way I’m carrying that many cans of water!
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
I do not know of any RV which has city fill only. ALl have a Gravity fill though finding it may be a job and a half.... One RV it's under the hood in a locked box.. Look for a locked door about oh 5 or 6 inches square...

I guess you haven't seen many RV's, John. City fill only systems with a "Fill/Use" or similar valve are really quite common. Both our previous Coachmen Catalina and our current Landau have such systems, as do many others I've worked on or inspected. Gravity fill seems to be more common on TT's than motorhomes now.
Dutch

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I do not know of any RV which has city fill only. ALl have a Gravity fill though finding it may be a job and a half.... One RV it's under the hood in a locked box.. Look for a locked door about oh 5 or 6 inches square...

Now... you can fill from an external tank using a 12 volt pump.. There is a very common 12 volt water pump that is rated for drinking water (you have one in fact) it has 1/2 inch IPT inlet and outlet.. Adapt the 1/2 inch outlet to a garden hose.. put an inlet strainer on the inlet side and adapt to like 10' of clear "Vinyl" suction hose Stick the suction hose in your bucket and apply 12 volts.

What kind of pump is this.. why the water pump on your RV of course.. do not use it (though in some cases you can as it's already set up for it) use a 2nd one you get from Amazon or such.

There are also 12 volt and drill powered "Transfer" pumps. they usually have garden hose fittings but I'm not convinced they are potable water rated (Drinking) Rhe RV pump is.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
Get one of the little pumps that mount in your drill.
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
A friend of ours years ago at Quartzite had a small air compressor that he pressurized a 10 gallon potable water tank with with a hose he could hook to his water fill. He had a Honda 2000 watt generator to charge his batteries and air up tires with the compressor.
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Well.... actually ..... yes ..... get a pump!

Most of our camping is at State Parks that has electric sites only. Water fill-up is at a specific spots, unless you are lucky enough to get near a spigot to run a hose, fill the tank and then disconnect.

Planning campsites within 200 feet of water spigots became a real pain after doing it for years and years. One day, I got smart and purchased a 35 gallon water tank from TSC (Tractor Supply Company) and we've been able to transport water at will now, without having to move the trailer or fill up only when entering the park.

But then, there was the problem that my "gravity fill port" on my previous TT was actually higher than the be bed of my pick-up truck and ... face it ... water does not run uphill. Thus! The pump!

Filling the camper with pump:

The pump is a 120 volt, AC purchased from Lowe's. I have a 400 watt inverter I keep in the truck all the time. The inverter can run the water pump with no problems, so we have the ability to transfer water from anywhere, to anywhere we are camped. It also allows us to carry extra water, and sometimes we would fill the water tank in the truck just so we would have water for showering or hosing down after playing in muddy creeks and salt water. A garden hose sprayer on the end of the hose works wonders.

We now have the ability to choose any campsite, regardless of how far we are from a water source, because we can alway fill up at the source and cart it in. It was one of the best things we purchased.

FYI, tank was a little over $100, and the pump was near $100 also. We've had the tank and pump for about 5 years now, and it's been worth every penny, over and over and over again.

Something to think about? Get a pump!

I now have a Montana High Country Fifth Wheel. It does not have a gravity fill port at all. I still use the transfer pump and it pumps the water just fine into my fresh water tank in the 5er.

kmb1966
Explorer
Explorer
grumpy3b wrote:
assuming you mean you cannot connect the hose for whatever reason.... but just buy a 12v or 110v water pump on Amazon. Setup as external pump, attach hoses to feed through normal fill, put other end if hose in external container filled with water.
Depending on size if your external container it might take quite a few trip to fill it then pump it into your internal tank.

Sounds like you want some other idea but i don't see a simplier solution. Gravity fill has drawbacks including the installation itself which i didn't find appealing.

i opted for a 12v pump gicen new battery capacity and solar power over a 110v pump though might be handy to have both.

There are even a couple ready to use external pump setups on Amazon. they run about $75-$100.

I actually wondered why gravity fill and such an external pump option isn't standard equipment anyway.

have heard there is some problem with the check-valve? what size pump to work with the check valve?

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I added a 3-port valve to my water pump inlet line that switches between drawing from the onboard tank or an external source such as a bucket or RV anti-freeze jug. By switching the city fill valve, I can select whether the pump output goes to the tank or the house water system.
Dutch

goff1256
Explorer
Explorer
I use my water pump with my antifreeze line and spliced into the fresh water line to the pump and put a shut off valve on it
Erick & Jackie Goff; Plus Ellie Mae the Fu Fu Dog