Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Refill fresh water from when no gravity fill exists
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Refill fresh water from when no gravity fill exists

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/19 06:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

I do not know of any RV which has city fill only. ALl have a Gravity fill though finding it may be a job and a half.... One RV it's under the hood in a locked box.. Look for a locked door about oh 5 or 6 inches square...

I guess you haven't seen many RV's, John. City fill only systems with a "Fill/Use" or similar valve are really quite common. Both our previous Coachmen Catalina and our current Landau have such systems, as do many others I've worked on or inspected. Gravity fill seems to be more common on TT's than motorhomes now.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Ductape

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/19 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It’s not uncommon in older fill stations to find faucets with no threads or hoses with no male ends.

I have on occasion used a hose with the female connector cut off to slip over a smooth faucet and fastened it temporarily with electrical tape to fill.

For an alternative, I’d use a portable submersible pump in a bucket. Let the source water run in the bucket and pump it up to the motor home.

I’d have no interest at all in installing an old style gravity fill. We have a 100 gallon tank, there’s no way I’m carrying that many cans of water!

49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/19 11:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 3 gal solar bladder that I fill using an external water supply then remove one of the over flow tubes that attach at the top of the main tank then insert the tube from the badder which I hang from the side of the MH. It takes a few minutes and is enough for a shower or two.

4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/19 04:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always get a chuckle when I see these posts; and the extents that some will go to to put water into their tank. If your RV has a winterizing valve, then you already have everything you need. Simply turn your City/Fill valve to "Fill", and turn your winterizing valve to "Winterize". Drop the winterizing line into a bucket of water and turn on your water pump. Your onboard pump will draw the water into the lines and then push it into the freshwater tank. Refill bucket as needed.

If your RV doesn't have a winterizing valve, you can add one for less than $15 here.

* This post was edited 09/04/19 08:30am by 4x4van *

We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R (2), '85 BW200, '07 TRX400EX, '12 Husky TE310
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II, '95 FX1

kmb1966

Lake Charles

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/19 07:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4van wrote:

I always get a chuckle when I see these posts; and the extents that some will go to to put water into their tank. If your RV has a winterizing valve, then you already have everything you need. Simply turn your City/Fill valve to "Fill", and turn your winterizing valve to "winterize". Drop the winterizing line into a bucket of water and turn on your water pump. Your onboard pump will draw the water into the lines and then push into the freshwater tank. Refill bucket as needed.

BINGO!
THANK YOU!
[emoticon]

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/19 07:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4van wrote:

I always get a chuckle when I see these posts; and the extents that some will go to to put water into their tank. If your RV has a winterizing valve, then you already have everything you need. Simply turn your City/Fill valve to "Fill", and turn your winterizing valve to "winterize". Drop the winterizing line into a bucket of water and turn on your water pump. Your onboard pump will draw the water into the lines and then push into the freshwater tank. Refill bucket as needed.

Yep, that's what I had on our previous motorhome, but not on the current one. So I added it...

oldave

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/19 06:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A water bladder , bag , pillow what ever you want to call it
could be handy if you dry camp much .
Haul water in a pu or suv then just fold it up and stow away when not needed .

https://www.amazon.com/AQUATANK2-Water-Storage-Bladder-Gallon/dp/B009MU64Y0/ref=sr_1_3?hvadid=77859171029560&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=water+bladder+tank&qid=1567598659&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Refill fresh water from when no gravity fill exists
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.