Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RV Lifestyle: Late check out
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Late check out

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/19 06:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

If it is my business . I run it the way I choose. My CG is not managed by the campers. I don't owe them any explanation, but a simple schedule disruptions have created too many communication and scheduling problems in the past would suffice.
If my CG is run well otherwise, I don't think a blanket no late check ins or early arrivals will be detrimental to overall customer experience. If the place were managed poorly, I doubt you would have many looking to stay longer.
AS we can see from this post, late departures and early arrivals can easily create confusion and havoc. As the owner I set a fixed schedule that allows me to operate efficiently altering that schedule too often hurts the customer experience

I've come across a few business owners who come across they way you do in your posts...if you check around, they are usually avoided if there is any other possibility available. The ones that survive usually have some form of monopoly in the local area.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/19 03:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with you. What you refer to as a monopoly is more a case of the business being being dominant and good at what they do.
"Sort of like the Soup Nazi on Seinfeld" Their product or service is superior to the point that they dominate the competition and set their own rules.
You can either play by their rules or play somewhere else.
A business that can dominate their marketplace and set the rules as they see fit did not get to that point by accident.
They generally have a good reputation and many satisfied customers that keep coming back.
Their core service/product is generally so good that consumers ignore or deal with any quirkiness or rules they do not like.
There are CG's I frequent the have rules or policies I don't agree with but at the end of the day I keep coming back because overall I always have a positive experience.

* This post was edited 09/08/19 04:22pm by an administrator/moderator *

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/19 07:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Offering an option that is used by few customers, but often causes inconvenience for other customers and the staff, is not a winning proposition for any business.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

run100

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/19 10:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having worked in the hotel industry for 10-years and also an avid RV'er for 18-years, I believe there's more similarities (conceptually) between campgrounds and hotels than there are differences.

The bottom line is both offer a resource in which the customer will occupy a space for a given period of time. The check-out time is critical to allow for preparing the resource for the next visitor. Hence, the check-in time standardizes the expectation, for the incoming guest, of when the resource will be available for their use. But, just like you probably experience with traffic laws, we never enforced either policy with an iron fist.

Honestly, when a guest arrived early, if a room was available, I was more than happy to check them in and hand over a key. We both won, because it was one less check-in I would have to handle later (during the busy time) and the guest could get unpacked and enjoy their day.

Late check-outs were rare, because most people were ready get to their next destination, whether it be home or somewhere else. However, we would accommodate such requests when possible. We never really asked, or even cared, what the reason was, because the result was still the same - use of the resource for an extended time.

In our own travels, we keep things simple and don't sweat the small stuff. Sometimes it's easier said than done, but we try to follow the practice.

2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S

4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/19 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Occasionally, we will arrive early. If the campground agrees and the site is vacant, I've never had a problem getting an early check-in. If the site is not available or the campground prohibits it, no problem; I can wait. Occasionally I ask for a late checkout; again, IF the campground agrees and IF no one has reserved the site; great. If it cannot be accommodated, no problem; I leave.

I don't really understand the angst. The decision of the campground owner is the final answer, although it's certainly nice to spend my money where the management is willing to extend some hospitality if possible.

HOWEVER...
brant_c wrote:

...we got reservations a month ago for Friday thru Monday.
Sunday afternoon I asked the camp ground owner if we could get a late check-out. He obliged.
The lady proceeds to tell me that we were in their spot. Duh! She also tells me that they were supposed to be there Sunday.
Based on my highlighted sections above of the OP, the campground owner screwed up. On Sunday afternoon, the campground agreed to allow a late check-out for Monday, even though they had reservations from other campers for a Sunday check-in.

* This post was edited 10/29/19 01:37pm by 4x4van *

We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R (2), '85 BW200, '07 TRX400EX, '12 Husky TE310
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II, '95 FX1

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Late check out
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS