cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

50 Amp Surge Guard Issue?

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
I plugged my 50 amp surge guard into the power pedestal and when the time delay was up all was good BUT the 15k AC would not turn on but the 13.5 AC in the bedroom would. I unplugged the surge guard and plugged directly into the power pedestal and both AC's worked fine. I had maintenance come out and they replaced the 50 amp breaker but the surge guard still would not run the 15k AC. I reluctantly plugged into the pedestal direct and all was fine for our trip.

Can't rationalize why the surge protector would not allow 1 AC to turn on. Is it likely shot? Did not have any surges on prior 2 week trip. tks
22 REPLIES 22

ghooos
Explorer
Explorer
Call the company that makes your surge guard.
Having a meter to check voltages likely would help a LOT.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Cecilt wrote:
OP here.

Could that CG have another issue that my surge guard was protecting me from.

Send your concerns to MUFON.

May have been extra-terrestrial (aliens) recharging their "RV" on the same circuit during your previous experience.

~

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
John Wayne wrote:
Just remember they are NOT water proof, when I was putting mine on the power pole I'd cover the pole and unit with a black trash bag and bungee cords. Never had to worry about rain or watering systems doing damage to it.
I'd never buy a unit that was going to be used outside, in all kinds of weather if I had to cover it with a trash bag, or some other means.

Surge-Guard states "The term โ€œweather resistantโ€, sometimes described as โ€œrainproofโ€, is used to describe many electrical products that are manufactured for outdoor use. Surge Guard products described as โ€œweather resistantโ€ can be used in most outdoor environments. Please note that these products should not be submerged under water at any time."

Not water proof, but almost nothing is described as water proof anymore due to CYA issues. But the Surge-Guard is/was supposed to be able to be left out in the rain with no problems.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Camping World sells the SURGE GUARD TRC/Southwire (Depending on when made)

Soundms like a plug issue. the 50 am
plug did (To RV) either did not make contact with the outlet on teh Surge Guard or I have had one wire come loose on the plug
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just remember they are NOT water proof, when I was putting mine on the power pole I'd cover the pole and unit with a black trash bag and bungee cords. Never had to worry about rain or watering systems doing damage to it.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

frankgibbons194
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using the PI EMS PT-50x.

This is a great protector for the electrical system in an RV.

I talked to another man in a campground this summer who has had 8 times that the unit has cut the power to his RV because of Low voltage, High voltage, or open Neutral.

This unit will prevent costly repairs by cutting the power to the RV if problems are found.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Personally I would dump that SurgeGuard and get a new EMS unit. It may have dried out and started working again, or as was mentioned a relay might have malfunctioned. Either way I certainly wouldn't trust it, the next time it doesn't work correctly could be more of a problem.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. So we were camped this past weekend at a FHU Site with 50 amp. I plugged in my 50 amp Surge Guard to see if it still I had issue with my main AC. After getting power on, flipped on the main 15k BTU AC and started and ran fine. Turned on the 13.5 BTU AC and started and ran fine. Now, it was not hot so I did not need to run both AC's but I did not experience any electrical issues all weekend.

So, what could have been the problem over Labor Day where, even after the CG replaced the 50 amp breaker I still could not run my 15k BTU AC unless I unplugged the surge protector and plugged my cord directly into their pedestal? Could that CG have another issue that my surge guard was protecting me from. I did not have any problems that weekend even though I was plugged in direct with no surge guard. tks

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
pismopete wrote:
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
*If* it was a PI - send it in, get a replacement......but it's not, soooo......

You need to bite the bullet and get a PI. No "funerals" necessary.

BTW - PI will indicate voltage on each leg.

~

How long have you worked for PI?
He's just quoting the truth. I had a SurgeGuard and it blew due to severe water intrusion. It had almost half inch of water in it when I took it apart after it shorted out in a pretty spectacular fashion.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

pismopete
Explorer
Explorer
ol Bombero-JC wrote:

~

How long have you worked for PI?

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's probably just a $5 relay inside that lost one contact. It's likely just a double pole relay that usually connects both legs at the same time.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Surge Guard products now have a limited lifetime warranty as well. They made that change in November 2017. Products purchased before then just have the product warranty in effect when sold.

I still donโ€™t like their products that have the female receptacle on a pigtail.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
I assumed one leg was not working as well. I'll upgrade to a PI EMS PT-50x. Is that the recommended portable unit.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer

~