Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 50 Amp Surge Guard Issue?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> 50 Amp Surge Guard Issue?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Cecilt

Page

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/19 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I plugged my 50 amp surge guard into the power pedestal and when the time delay was up all was good BUT the 15k AC would not turn on but the 13.5 AC in the bedroom would. I unplugged the surge guard and plugged directly into the power pedestal and both AC's worked fine. I had maintenance come out and they replaced the 50 amp breaker but the surge guard still would not run the 15k AC. I reluctantly plugged into the pedestal direct and all was fine for our trip.

Can't rationalize why the surge protector would not allow 1 AC to turn on. Is it likely shot? Did not have any surges on prior 2 week trip. tks

Sam Spade

North Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/19 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Call the company that makes your surge guard.
Having a meter to check voltages likely would help a LOT.

'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

cougar28

Lowell,AR USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/19 12:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What brand do you have?

2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

Cecilt

Page

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/19 01:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cougar28 wrote:

What brand do you have?

Bought it at Camping World. Had it about 5 years now. I think it says Surge Guard. It is not a Progressive Industries

bobsallyh

Livingston, TX.

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/19 03:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never had that happen with our 50 amp Surge Guard. Did you read the 50 amp receptacle for voltage, grounds/neutral?

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/19 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My guess is that your SurgeGuard has bitten the big one. It sounds like it is not allowing one leg of the 50 amp service to get to the trailer.

This happened to me last summer. The main A/C would not work but the small A/C in the bedroom would work. Upon further investigation we discover several other appliances/outlets that wouldn't work. It seems that when my SurgeGuard died due to water intrusion last summer it also damaged the 90° dogbone attached to the main power line. When I hooked the power cord up without the dogbone, everything worked like it should.

I would checked both legs coming out of the SurgeGuard for power. I'll bet one of them isn't working. And then I would pitch it and buy the PI one.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/19 04:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

What was the voltage?

Cecilt wrote:

Can't rationalize why the surge protector would not allow 1 AC to turn on. Is it likely shot? Did not have any surges on prior 2 week trip. tks

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/19 05:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have a 50A RV - it has two 120V legs. One leg is not being passed through the Surge Guard.
So it's probably dead but I would make sure all the connections to and from the SG are tight before having the funeral.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/19 08:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds similar to what happened to my 30 amp portable Surge Guard a few years ago. One day it worked, the next trip out, nada! Nuttin! It bit the dust. It was exactly 1 year old. I figure it took a power hit and did its job. It protected the camper, and sacrifice it's life.

I kind of think that might be what happened to yours. One leg took "the big one" and that's it. Time for a funeral.

ol Bombero-JC

USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/19 02:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

*If* it was a PI - send it in, get a replacement......but it's not, soooo......

You need to bite the bullet and get a PI. No "funerals" necessary.

BTW - PI will indicate voltage on each leg.

~

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> 50 Amp Surge Guard Issue?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS