cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Too spicy!

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Seems to be the wrong time for truck buying around my parts. They want $800+ a month for the 19 tradesman with a diesel and little else.

Even the leases are insulting.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed
10 REPLIES 10

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
ShinerBock wrote:
What is the interest rate? I never shop based on monthly payments

Exactly, and what is the length of the loan? Giving a monthly price with ZERO other data is like asking "how many slices are in a pizza" or "how long is a piece of string".

$900/month for 84 months is insane, but $900/month for 36 months isn't terrible.

How much money are you putting down? If you are putting $0 down, that's about right for a 4 year loan on $40,000. If you are putting $20,000 down and paying for 4 years, that's insane.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Where in the heck are you guys finding $60-70k stickers on Tradesman trucks? Mine was about $52k and I paid under $40k before tax and title - diesel, 4wd, crew cab and decent options considering the trim level.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent time in SoCal for gas 2019 Silverado 1500s
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
Around our area , this dealer is always pointed to as the lowest priced.
31dodge
Maybe you can find a comparable truck here to use for negotiating in your area.

That is the range I was thinking. Mid $50k's msrp and high $40's for a good deal. $60-70k for a Tradesman is pretty optioned out. Probably cheaper to go for a higher trim level at those prices.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
The monthly is just based on the most optimistic financing I could find, not the dealers' number.

Everything is in the high 60s low 70s, after incentives mid 50s. So the incentives are good, price seems much higher.
Mid 50s ($57,600 to be exact) would yield a payment of $800 with nothing down, you pay the taxes, while financing the thing for 6 years (72 months) at zero percent interest. Math doesn't lie. If you think that payment is high on a brand new rig, think about the fact you are still going to be paying it on a six year old rig down the line. Shopping dealers may save you hundreds of dollars, maybe even a thousand or so, but if you are payment conscious that is only going to lower your payments by $10 or $20. You apparently need to either come to grips with the fact the rig you want is very expensive and you are going to have to pay more than you want to pay, or you need to reset your sights onto a different vehicle.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Around our area , this dealer is always pointed to as the lowest priced.
31dodge
Maybe you can find a comparable truck here to use for negotiating in your area.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
The monthly is just based on the most optimistic financing I could find, not the dealers' number.

Everything is in the high 60s low 70s, after incentives mid 50s. So the incentives are good, price seems much higher.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Shopping based on a monthly payment is the last thing you should do. Negotiate the final price or price differential if you have a trade, and then see what they offer for an interest rate. It's a good idea to know what you can get from your credit union or bank too because it can be a bit better. There was a cash incentive to finance through Chrysler when I bought my truck and I think the rate they offered was 1.9%, so I did that initially and then did a no-cost refinance through our credit union at .9% within about a week. Obviously you need to review the specific loan documents you sign to be sure there aren't any restrictions or penalties involved.

I would also recommend price shopping any high volume dealerships in your region. Try to get the local guys to price match but be willing to travel if they won't.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds pretty good. That is less than $30k for 36 months.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
What is the interest rate? I never shop based on monthly payments They can manipulate multiple things to get you to a certain payment and screw you on the back end. Shop based on final out the door price first and interest rate if you are being financed through them. The payments can be calculated form there.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS