cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Transfer switch

ken1961
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Itasca Ellipse on our second replacement of the transfer switch. The first one had melted wires on the output from the main relay and this second one had melted wires from the AC input.
It means I better check for loose or corroded terminals more often.
Ken
6 REPLIES 6

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
If your Transfer switch has the standard screw in wire lugs. I always tighten the wires with a screwdriver, wait 10 minutes, then retighten. This allows the copper strands to settle. You will be amazed how much more you can tighten the 2nd time. Doug

Doug...
Have you found any benefit in using a No Oxide grease on the connections, as well?
It's sort of a habit with me, but the last time I had to get in there for replacing some short and burnt, crystallized wires, we were in a campground late and I didn't have any available right then.

I use nothing on the connections. Doug

And probably not a bit necessary, except in the case of copper making contact with aluminum and what the stuff was made for, in the first place.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
tropical36 wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
If your Transfer switch has the standard screw in wire lugs. I always tighten the wires with a screwdriver, wait 10 minutes, then retighten. This allows the copper strands to settle. You will be amazed how much more you can tighten the 2nd time. Doug

Doug...
Have you found any benefit in using a No Oxide grease on the connections, as well?
It's sort of a habit with me, but the last time I had to get in there for replacing some short and burnt, crystallized wires, we were in a campground late and I didn't have any available right then.

I use nothing on the connections. Doug

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:

Doug...
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Each spring as part of my de-winterizing I start with the shore power cord and work my way toward the coach breaker panel ending with checking each hold down screw for the circuit breakers. I also open the connection box where the generator output is tied into the lines that feed the transfer switch. So far so good.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you're switching gen/shore with heavy loads like A/C etc the life will be shorter. I always turn everything off first to minimize electrical transients and relay arcing.

Yes unlike a house your RV vibrates and bounces down the road so ALL connections should be checked every year or two. Not just the ATS but CB panel and any other locations.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob