cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water Pump while Boondocking

badercubed
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, so here is the deal. While boondocking, we only turn the water pump on when it's needed. The last two trips, the pump has built up enough pressure for multiple people to brush teeth, to wash dishes and the flush the toilet numerous times. After a while, we notice the pressure going down and run the pump. It will run for about two minutes and give lengthy pressure again.

How and why?
2019 Apex Nano 208BHS
2016 F-150 Crew Cab (it's my wife's ride)

Been camping for 37 of my 38 years!
11 REPLIES 11

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it was one pee for each bottle of beer that is an awful lot of beer for one evening. :B

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
gmckenzie wrote:
ScottG wrote:
I put one in our last TT that held a gallon. I was able to flush the toilet 18 times before running out of pressure!
A two gallon would have provided even more time.
It doesn't cause the pump to run less overall though. It only causes it to cycle less.

Yes, but it does mean you can turn the pump off when you go to bed, pee 18 times in the night and not have the pump that is in the cabinet next to the DW's side of the bed run in the middle of the night waking up the DW.

๐Ÿ™‚

I'm a 55 year old man and I don't pee 18 times a night, maybe 3 times at the most if I'm drinking beer. If you do pee 18 times a night, see a doctor right away !!. (just kidding, I'm assuming that you were kidding too)

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
I put one in our last TT that held a gallon. I was able to flush the toilet 18 times before running out of pressure!
It doesn't cause the pump to run less overall though. It only causes it to cycle less.

Yes, but it does mean you can turn the pump off when you go to bed, pee 18 times in the night and not have the pump that is in the cabinet next to the DW's side of the bed run in the middle of the night waking up the DW.

๐Ÿ™‚
2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
A bad check valve would do the opposite of what the OP explained. The pump would start up and shut down over and over again without any tap being turned on.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
badercubed wrote:
Learn something new everyday.

Camper was new from the dealer and we never talked about an accumulator tank, nor have I ever heard of one.

But, there's no conformation your trailer has an accumulator tank until you actually see it. There could a bad check valve in the pump.
Bob

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:

^^^^^ This.

The pump has a fairly high amp dray when it is running, but it's overall amp draw when boondocking is limited by the water supply. So it's total overall amp draw is not a big energy hog.. In fact it is far enough down on the list as to be insignifignant.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

badercubed
Explorer
Explorer
Learn something new everyday.

Camper was new from the dealer and we never talked about an accumulator tank, nor have I ever heard of one. It's great for when the Littles get up in the middle of the night or we come in late since the pump is under the bunks.
2019 Apex Nano 208BHS
2016 F-150 Crew Cab (it's my wife's ride)

Been camping for 37 of my 38 years!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Accumulator tanks a great mod for those without one.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Interesting!! I wonder whether someone installed an accumulator in your trailer. We put a small accumulator in ours -- it causes the pump to run less frequently, thus saving electricity. But it only holds about a quart. It sounds like yours holds a gallon or so?
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
sounds like your rv has a accumulator tank installed in the water system
rv accumulator tank