cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F450 maneuverability question

hedgehog48
Explorer
Explorer
I am interested in upgrading my tow vehicle and had a question, is the 176” wheelbase crew cab longbed f450 more maneuverable than a 156” wheelbase crewcab shortbed f350? I have a concrete pad in my yard that was originally made for a class a motorhome. It isn’t as easy to maneuver a fifthwheel onto it as it was the class a that’s why I am asking this question. I am towing a 2016 montana 3160rl with my 2016 f350 6.2 gas with 4.30 gears. While it does the job, I’m tired of the crappy fuel range and feeling like my tow vehicle is just enough. Any input would be appreciated
26 REPLIES 26

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
4x4ord wrote:
hedgehog48 wrote:
I know the shortbed has the 34 gal. Tank. The main thing for me is diesel pumps are usually easier to access when traveling with a 38’ fifthwheel in tow.

I can't imagine anyone with a new SRW short box 1 ton diesel not enjoying their towing experience but if I were going to pick one thing to complain about with my truck it would be the small fuel tank. However, it doesn't bother me enough to justify spending $2000 on an aftermarket fuel tank or make me wish I had a long box.

I can't imagine spending the $ to upgrade to a behemoth F450 from a short bed gasser, unless that was really the wrong choice to begin with.... I mean probably was since Gasser and 5th wheel generally aren't a great combo.
If towing is mostly what it's used for then yeah, but sounds more like buyers remorse and not making the same mistake twice by going overkill on round 2.

Which is good I suppose. Know plenty of people who are like goldilocks. Too big, trade in, too small, trade in, just right, new camper, now too big/small, rinse and repeat.
By that account, a F450 pickup is pretty much a 1 and done solution. Go for it!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
dup post.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
RAM 3500 4x4 CC SB SRW 149.5" WB has a 43.9 turning diameter! A 350/3500 SRW will handle your 201 3160 just fine. Go drive all three. I think you will find the GM and RAM turn much tighter than the longer Fords. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
deltabravo wrote:
hedgehog48 wrote:
I am interested in upgrading my tow vehicle and had a question, is the 176” wheelbase crew cab longbed f450 more maneuverable than a 156” wheelbase crewcab shortbed f350?

I think it is....

Watch this video and see Marc do a U-turn from the left turn lane:

This link takes you to the point in the video just before the U-turn:

U-turn in an F-450

Of course, in large parts of the country that turn could get you a ticket...

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
hedgehog48 wrote:
I am interested in upgrading my tow vehicle and had a question, is the 176” wheelbase crew cab longbed f450 more maneuverable than a 156” wheelbase crewcab shortbed f350?

I think it is....

Watch this video and see Marc do a U-turn from the left turn lane:

This link takes you to the point in the video just before the U-turn:

U-turn in an F-450
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
hedgehog48 wrote:
I know the shortbed has the 34 gal. Tank. The main thing for me is diesel pumps are usually easier to access when traveling with a 38’ fifthwheel in tow.

I can't imagine anyone with a new SRW short box 1 ton diesel not enjoying their towing experience but if I were going to pick one thing to complain about with my truck it would be the small fuel tank. However, it doesn't bother me enough to justify spending $2000 on an aftermarket fuel tank or make me wish I had a long box.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

hedgehog48
Explorer
Explorer

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
hedgehog48 wrote:
Still trying to figure whether I want a tow beast f450 or just get another crewcab shortbed but diesel powered since I only tow my 15,000 fifthwheel 2-4000 miles a year. Also nervous about Purchasing 2020 with new engine and 10 speed. In a perfect world, I think the 10 speed is the cats ass. I just get nervous about having problems when traveling and I prefer reliability. The down side is 2019 nicely equipped superduty’s are getting scarce around here.

I wouldn't be too skeered of the new 7.3/10 speed combo, but still understand no first year vehicles.
Your original post was based on cr@ppy fuel range (is it the range or mileage you don't like? Guessing range since you dont tow much, the mileage hit isn't big. Getting a new short bed gasser will not fix that one bit. Long bed, yes, because you can get the 48gal tank.
And you said the other issue is the truck fells like it's "just enough." Just enough what? Power or ability to handle the load?
Getting a new style srw 350 won't up the ability to handle a load significantly, IMO, still a srw truck. Power? I'm guessing, since you mention swapping to diesel, will obviously be about 100% better with a diesel, but still fuel little tank if you go short bed.

With the infrequent, low mile towing you do, a F450 seems completely overkill, but they are sharp looking rigs!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
buc1980 wrote:
I know that 2017 F350 got a horrible turning radials .I don't know why Ford change that.The 2011 F350 was ok.

The 2011 F350 could have had the wide-track front axle optioned, which would give it the same turning radius as the F450 pickup that came standard with the wide-track. At some point, Ford stopped allowing the wide-track on the F350.

4x4ord wrote:
Other than an old Western Star I owned, which turned sharp to the right and barely turned to the left, I can't remember ever being concerned about turning radius of a truck. Is it really that big of a deal to have to slide the gear selector into reverse a few times a year while maneuvering?

In a word, yes.

But, that’s because at least for me, it’s more than just a few times a year.

I don’t have towable RV’s, but occasionally tow a utility trailer, and having a more maneuverable truck is also a big help when backing into a spot I can only get 90* to.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

hedgehog48
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a 2400 mile trip next spring and im Nervous about towing that far with gas, the pain of getting in and out of gas stations, the lousy range, etc. also, my wife keeps giving me **** because I never want to go far with the camper so I figured a better towing experience might make me go further.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Other than an old Western Star I owned, which turned sharp to the right and barely turned to the left, I can't remember ever being concerned about turning radius of a truck. Is it really that big of a deal to have to slide the gear selector into reverse a few times a year while maneuvering?
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

blt2ski
hedgehog48 wrote:
Still trying to figure whether I want a tow beast f450 or just get another crewcab shortbed but diesel powered since I only tow my 15,000 fifthwheel 2-4000 miles a year. Also nervous about Purchasing 2020 with new engine and 10 speed. In a perfect world, I think the 10 speed is the cats ass. I just get nervous about having problems when traveling and I prefer reliability. The down side is 2019 nicely equipped superduty’s are getting scarce around here.

Based on initial post, this one, I would keep what you have! Unless you have a big was of cash burning a joke in your pocket.
If you towed 20-40,000 miles a year, then changing out to the 450 or a diesel 350 would start to make sense......

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

hedgehog48
Explorer
Explorer

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
If you want maneuverability, get a sliding hitch so that the kingpin is way behind the axle centerline while backing. Then pick out the truck you want based on other criteria.