cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

MultiSeal ( Flat-Out ) and TPMS

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone using MultiSeal in their tires also have TPMS sensors on their tire stems? If so, has the MultiSeal liquid in the tires had any adverse effects on the TPMS sensors?
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad
10 REPLIES 10

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
My experience: This does not directly address your question because a TPMS was not involved.

I own a 6' utility trailer. About 20 years ago my brother asked if he could borrow it. I said sure, and he came and got it.

Fast forward about 10 years. A tire on my utility trailer went flat. I got out my air compressor, but it would NOT air up. I took the wheel off the trailer and took it to a tire shop. They removed the tire, then came and asked me if I had ever put Fix-a-Flat in it. I said that I hadn't, but the trailer had a previous owner, so I didn't know. They said SOMEBODY had put Fix-a-Flat in it, and it had rusted out the rim. I needed a new rim. They said that if I ever put that stuff in a tire, take it to a tire shop as soon as possible because they have to rinse all of it out before that can happen.

When I got back home, I called my brother and asked if he had put Fix-a-Flat in my trailer tire while he had it. He said yes, the tire went flat and he did.

(That particular brother could break an anvil. I loaned my Father my chain saw one time. While he had it, my brother borrowed it from him. When Dad returned the chain saw, it was a brand new one still in the box. My brother had managed to destroy the chain saw, and Dad felt responsible since he had loaned it to him.)
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Ed_Gee wrote:
drsteve wrote:
The guys at the tire store will hate you.

If these products work as advertised, I probably would not be seeing those guys at the tire store. I am surprised that I have not received any responses from users of these products. I am hoping for more than opinions or anecdotes...... I'm hoping to hear from those with actual experience..... anyone out there?

Tires will eventually need to be replaced, and the tire tech will hate you. Most people here don't like this stuff, which may explain the lack of response from actual users.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
STBRetired wrote:
I have used a similar product in my mower tires. Obviously, I don't have TPMS on my mower, but it gummed up one of the valve stems so badly that I had to replace the valve stem completely as you couldn't get air in or out even with the valve core removed.

And yes, it's a nasty mess when it comes time to replace the tire.

Thank you! This is the thpe of personal experience comment I was seeking.
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
I have used a similar product in my mower tires. Obviously, I don't have TPMS on my mower, but it gummed up one of the valve stems so badly that I had to replace the valve stem completely as you couldn't get air in or out even with the valve core removed.

And yes, it's a nasty mess when it comes time to replace the tire.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:

If these products work as advertised, I probably would not be seeing those guys at the tire store. I am surprised that I have not received any responses from users of these products. I am hoping for more than opinions or anecdotes...... I'm hoping to hear from those with actual experience..... anyone out there?
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
I don't know about it ruining the TPMS sensors that are attached to the valve stem, but it could certainly get into the valve stem itself and cause issues.

Just like Nancy always said: "Just Say NO" to Multi-Seal.

External TPMS sensors depress the valve in the stem so that they can sense pressures - creating a direct path to the sensor from inside the tire.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know about it ruining the TPMS sensors that are attached to the valve stem, but it could certainly get into the valve stem itself and cause issues.

Just like Nancy always said: "Just Say NO" to Multi-Seal.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tire experts will tell you to never put that kind of junk in a tire - and it will ruin your TPMS sensors.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I'm gonna say you don't want to be a Guinea pig. And no need for that stuff in highway tires anyway.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold