Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Ford Questions
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/19 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry Bruce Brown if I have misunderstood Ford and my transmission rebuilder about these transmissions in all these Fords I have owned over the past 40 years or so. Maybe I am just old and my memory is fading, but it worked like that this morning.

camperdave

northern, California

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/19 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

Sorry Bruce Brown if I have misunderstood Ford and my transmission rebuilder about these transmissions in all these Fords I have owned over the past 40 years or so. Maybe I am just old and my memory is fading, but it worked like that this morning.

Technology changes quick, it can be hard to keep up.

2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

lenr

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/19 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMO-yours may vary. My older Fords with 4 speed transmissions were labeled OD Lockout and that's all they did. Banks actually makes a device that will change the shift points of the Ford 4 speeds. I believe when the shifter button began to be labeled Tow Haul, that's when the shift points began to be modified, both in an up and down direction. My TorqueShift 6 speed definately works that way using both OD gears 5th & 6th. I do not know how the 5 speed TorqueShift works, and in 2014 I don't know whether the 5 or 6 speed was used. In later pickup trucks the engine braking down shifting function was separated from the tow haul button with its own button. All the more need for the OP to download a manual.

map40

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/19 01:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know the guys who designed that tranny/engine combination. First of all, Tow/Hawl mode changes shift points, releiving stress on the transmission. This might seem like it will consume more fuel, although they insist that it should save fuel. Their explanation: The RV is heavy enough to be considered as a vehicle towing. I tested in several different units, and the difference is minimal, and in the lower side.
Second, the transmission will allow you to use the engine to slow down, which is in my mind the best advantage of this transmission.
All that said, It has been proven that using the tow/hawl mode will prolong the life of your transmission. I have seens trannys last over 300K, as rentlas, as long as the default is Tow/Hawl mode is ON.

Alfa SeeYa, 2015 Jayco XL31, 2015 Itasca XL31, 2012 CA 25, 2008 CA 28. RV with most millage: 312K miles on a V10
Life rocks when your home rolls

noteven

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/19 02:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

The 6.2 / Torqshift 6spd auto in my F350 does not “lock out” any gear in tow haul mode - it will use all gears up to 6 - unless you select manual mode or select the top gear available manually with the shift up/down button. It will not upshift above the gear you have selected until you select up the range. Tow Haul mode makes down grade downshifting more aggressive for engine braking also downshifts as you slow to a stop or make a sharp turn etc.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/19 03:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

Don't know about hub caps but tow mode just keeps it out of overdrive and decreases fuel mileage.

It depends on the exact model of transmission. Older (4 speed) transmission did exactly as described. Newer (5 and 6 speed) change when shifting occurs (typically earlier) and may inhibit OD in some cases.

The decrease in fuel economy is because you have more power at the rear wheels.

With my old E150, I left it in OD, but turned that off when approaching hills.

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/19 03:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Carvin Marvin wrote:

Just acquired a 2014 31' Newmar. How do I remove the hub caps on 19.5 tires? Thanks in advance for assistance.

What ever you do, DO NOT pry on the stainless steel wheel covers. When you have loosened all the CORRECT hold down lugs, usually two, 180 degrees apart, the OEM factory wheel covers (usually made by Dicor) will come off without tools. The stainless steel lugs you see DO NOT HOLD THE WHEEL ON, only the wheel cover. They are just false decor. The real lug nuts (on a Ford, usually 8) that hold the wheel on are underneath the stainless steel caps. The wheel cover hold down nuts only need be snugged up when reinstalled. THEY DO NOT NEED TO BE TORQUED TO 150 FT-LBS. Make sure you index the wheel covers properly to the valve stem (see notched cutout on wheel cover) when reinstalling them or you won't be able to check/adjust tire air pressures on the road.

(I wish I knew the above the first time)

Chum lee

robatthelake

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/19 05:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Usually the two or three Retainers are just push on pull off lug nut caps. I’ve never seen any that required a wrench.
Your 19.5 Wheels simulators are actually held to the steel rim by the exposed lug nuts. Mine had 10 Lug wheels!
It was a Deere Chassis with a Ford 460 Engine!

Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

Lancslad

SE VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/19 07:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know if you've been to Valdez AK but theres one big long hill to get down to the town. I put the Ford in Tow Haul at the top and never touched the brakes all the way down. T/H is amazing technology (to me) and I use it all the time (even in the east coast flatlands)

2011 FR Georgetown 337DS
2003 Dodge Dakota Towed

crawford

Dandridge Tenn.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/19 02:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bruce Brown wrote:

ferndaleflyer wrote:

Don't know about hub caps but tow mode just keeps it out of over drive and decreases fuel mileage.

False

My 2008 will not go into overdrive while in tow mode and my Ford books states this also. Just maybe newer one do but my 08 will not ....

Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS