cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TC vs Small 5th wheel

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
In researching smaller rv's the TC's TT's and short 5th wheels seem to have some advantages over larger RV's. Having never owned any of these, what I have surmised from this forum is if you want a TC with some storage and FW capacity a larger TC with a slide or two is required which would require a DRW truck. In looking at short 5th wheels say 24 ft I see more storage and more FW that can be towed with a SRW truck. In addition I see more storage in the bed of the truck for FW and other stuff. Some have said the CG was much higher in a TC making it top heavy around corners. You have to exit the truck to access the the camper section in both of these. Is a small 5th wheel or TT much more difficult to back into a site and level? Have any of you owed both a short 5th wheel and a TC that can comment on any advantages or disadvantages of each setup? I dry camp 95% of the time so water capacity is important I have 60 gals now which last me 7 days.
67 REPLIES 67

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
work2much wrote:
It was more your misuse of homophones that made my head hurt.

Ahhh..Grammar police ehh..

Well, having been out of high school for 54 years and spending most of my life in the mountains of Idaho with a chainsaw in hand,I haven't kept up on grammar I guess..So you will have to bare/bair/bear with me while I jog my memory of my ancient high school days and English class..

Heck,I had to look up homophones to see what I was doing wrong..Laffin
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocreek wrote:
work2much wrote:
jaycocreek wrote:

I have priced there products and there very very expensive...

You're making my head hurt.

It was more your misuse of homophones that made my head hurt.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocreek wrote:

No one reported rigs over 13’, but we know you’re out there.

'
I bought my basement TC originally with SRW flatbed.
Next step was buying dually with Utility Bed on it.
To fit TC on UB, I had to put 4x4s under camper floor to clear side boxes.
Adding the 4x4 to box who was already seating on 6 or 8" floor put me at 13-6" height.
I broke most of overhead branches on my small street at the time.
Next step was getting rid of UB and putting regural bed on the truck.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
jaycocreek wrote:
TTs and fifth wheels rock a lot more.

Not sure how stiff your spring are but I had a 35ft Jayco front living room that had no stabilizer jacks in the rear..The most stable RV I have ever had, especially in the wind,setup..Can't imagine a TC 13-14 ft high being more stable and I have a DRW with a baby TC on it..

We all want to say our currant RV/TC is the best and there is not any way to compare unless you own or have owned all that you are comparing..Watching the neighbor setup, not knowing his level of experience isn't a comparison.

The op asked about small Fifth wheels/Travel Trailers versus a Truck camper...

"Is a small 5th wheel or TT much more difficult to back into a site and level? Have any of you owed both a short 5th wheel and a TC that can comment on any advantages or disadvantages of each setup? I dry camp 95% of the time so water capacity is important I have 60 gals now which last me 7 days.'

1-It depends on the site but on average not im my opinion.

2-It depends on short..My FW measured 35 ft stem to sturn,some label that length as a 30ft or smaller..I had a 26ft labeled TT that measured 30 ft front to rear and a pickup can measure 22-23 feet bumper to bumper..Like a 26.5' Jayco RLDS is going to measure 26.5 bumper to tongue..Not likely.

3-I also dry camp 99.5% of the time and in my opinion the Outdoors RV "Mountain Series" is the best boondocker made..Very large water tanks/Built in gen set/ready for 4-6-volt batteries/solar and a suspension made for off road....They have my attention for the next RV..

Don't get me wrong..I love my TC but it has it's faults as every RV has..Water capacity is one as well as room..If it wasn't for traveling the backcountry of Idaho needing the ability to turn around anywhere,I would have a small TT or FW..

Seems I am always going down a dead end road.(laffin).
I just looked at the Outdoor RV Mountain series RKS. 80 gals of FW, 16in GC 80 gals Grey 40 black and it looks like it is well insulated. I can't tell if it is 30 ft or 27 ft but looks like a nice rig to boondock in. Not many Class A's have that much FW.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
I hadn't seen that TC magazine did a survey on TC height from the average Joe...

Hard sides are a very different animal for overall rig height. Most of the hard side rig heights in our survey came in between 11’5? and 12’5?. For a hard side rig to be much below 11’5?, the camper is almost always a non-basement model. We have seen hard side rigs under 11’0?, but they are rare.

No one reported rigs over 13’, but we know you’re out there. The truck campers built with floors above the rails generally push 13’ in our experience. Those campers include the Chalet DS116 double-slide, Chalet TS116 triple-slide, Eagle Cap 1160 double-slide, and the Eagle Cap 1165 triple-slide.

And the two pop ups were 9.0 and 9'4".
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
jaycocreek wrote:
How tall is your TC..

That depends on how you measure it and how much air the airbags have in them. Too tall for the Portland airport other than the oversize path that the buses use. It would have been nice for them to mention the height before I started toward the arrivals road.

But, I use 13 as the measure even though I’m a few inches less. I could easily be taller with a different non low profile AC, taller vent covers, or fixed TV antenna.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
As usual, some post incorrect data as facts. Go figure

Who posted there comments as facts?

In general because all the RV's differ slightly in height etc..A quick look at my favorites brought this..

Lance 850..8'6" off the truck then like on mine,ad 33" for 11'3" high W/AC..

Outdoors mountain series TT..Shortest one (21RD) is 10'8" high W/AC "all others are 11'3" on up..

My favorite Jayco HTX/26RLX FW is 12'1" no clue if that is with AC..

So they are all pretty close(within 9") on paper and why I went with my setup at 10 foot even to the top of the ladder rack.

jimh425..How tall is your TC..
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
As usual, some post incorrect data as facts. Go figure. 🙂

Any way, it doesn’t matter which are normally shorter or more narrow. It matters which models you are comparing. That being said, generalizing, TTs are shorter in height than fifth wheels and hardside TCs.

Each type varies a lot. Most specs are easily found online.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
My basement model on RWD Ford goes 12-6" high at AC.
Non-basement model was only 12'
Add 3" for 4WD truck.
TC are usually narrower than 8', what makes it slightly easier going into woods than wider RVs

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Wouldn't the height of a TC create more of an issue on forest roads than lower profile units? I prefer these sites but have several roof tears and two cracks A/C covers on my Class A that is 11 ft 6 ins tall backing into these sites.

Yes and no..Most TC's with a basement run 12 ft+ depending on the truck bed height with 13 more the norm..I sold my small Class C(13 ft) for that very reason,to tall for the branches in the places I go to...My wife was always out there with a rake or shovel holding up branches.

On my TC now,I am 10ft to the top of the ladder rack,no AC..I use a window unit.

A pop up negates all that but there not my cup of tea.
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
All interesting comments. Sounds like set up and leveling is about the same except if you have a stable lift setup. Some have posted that a TC can get into remote sites better than a TT or small 5th wheel because of GC. I read some on here where people flip their axles on a TT to get greater GC and see where some off road TT's come with greater GC. Wouldn't the height of a TC create more of an issue on forest roads than lower profile units? I prefer these sites but have several roof tears and two cracks A/C covers on my Class A that is 11 ft 6 ins tall backing into these sites. Typically what is the height of an average TC compared to a TT or small 5th wheel? Also I would be interested if the higher CG of a TC is more of an issue on these back roads or on windy mountainous roads?

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

But, but......but what did I miss? That looks like $80k to me not 120...

Yes, you missed it (what else is new).
This is the time of the year when dealer push out models from previous year, while the new, loaded modes haven't arrive yet.
Coming to original topic - there is always some good and some bad from all options.
I used to own ClassC and the small engine could not make it to hilly camping spot. Small wheels and low clearance did not encourage going into gravel roads.
With TC I haven't fond a road that I wanted to go and couldn't.
In Alaska I noticed lot of ClassB Sprinters, or plain construction Sprinters converted for sleeping.
They seem to be appreciated

magic43
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned all three plus a Class C Mh, but presently only have a FW and TC. I carry some leveling boards and a set of those plastic "leggo" blocks. I simply pull or back onto whichever is necessary to level E-W or N-S. No big deal either way.
magic43

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
But the opp of this thread asked:

Is a small 5th wheel or TT much more difficult to back into a site and level? Have any of you owed both a short 5th wheel and a TC that can comment on any advantages or disadvantages of each setup?

So,unless I read it wrong,he is asking those that have owned both or all three what there opinion was on advantages and disadvantages..

I am just not seeing many that are posting saying they have owned all three and this is my personal opinion on setup and the advantages and disadvantages of each from an opinion based on owning all three..

Not the neighbors..Laffin
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04