Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: TC vs Small 5th wheel
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> TC vs Small 5th wheel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/19 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

.The high center of gravity of a TC is a definite problem and why you see everyone here on this forum buying thousands of dollars of Torklift products to make them more stable..

It is a problem when you put basement TC on SRW truck.
My 6000 lb Fleetwood makes 13' high (AC) when on my dually, yet I have no problem follow semi-trailers at 75 mph.
When strong side winds are not comfortable, they are manageable with my 2017 F350.
I spend 0 dollars for stabilization improvements.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/19 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek, I have 60 gallons of water capacity in my Host. We can easily make a week, but we could also easily go get more water and dump again if needed. Most of us here don’t have thousands of dollars of Torklift products to stabilize our rigs. You must have never priced their products.

Gjac, the general thought is that towing and stability is more stable with a fifth wheel. However, that has more to do with pin weight, and I’m not sure how much pin weight you are going to be able to have realistically on a F150. Fifth wheels are also quite a lot higher which means more wind resistance and more rig to catch wind with 1-2 ft more height. For the F150, I’d probably just stay with a TT and perhaps go with a double slide model to gain a little more space inside and use the bed of the truck for overflow storage of lighter items.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/19 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

jaycocreek, I have 60 gallons of water capacity in my Host. We can easily make a week, but we could also easily go get more water and dump again if needed. Most of us here don’t have thousands of dollars of Torklift products to stabilize our rigs. You must have never priced their products.

And you have an F-450..Nuff said..

If you haven't noticed,the normal average poster wanting info on truck campers(considering buying) does not want to deal with a DRW let alone a F-450 DRW or the popular F-550..Die hard/tried and true truck campers might..The issue seems to be it's a daily driver..To wide/to long/wife drives also etc etc..

And yes,this forum is full of Torklift addons for improved handling like upper/lower stable loads etc etc..Even for new DRW's..

I have priced there products and there very very expensive...

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/19 09:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

And yes,this forum is full of Torklift addons for improved handling like upper/lower stable loads etc etc..Even for new DRW's..

You must be talking about new Dodges [emoticon]
Torklift products are very expensive, but I spend only $350 for their front tie-downs, when I build rear from the junk I had in my garage.
Once again, nothing had to be done on my F350 for stabilization and I think my 6000lb TC is on upper end of sizing here.

work2much

Jackson Ca

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/19 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

You're making my head hurt.

2017 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.
2018 Host Mammoth. 1080 Watts solar. 600 AH usable LFP battery. Magnum 2800 Watt inverter.
2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2400 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/19 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

work2much wrote:

jaycocreek wrote:

Just a quick search at e-trailer for my truck..

Frame mounts...$688
Bump stops.....$300
Lower Stable L.$321
Fastguns.......$327
Total----------$1636

Now for the hurt head...

These new guys that ask about getting into truck camping are not told what all they will need,most of the time,or the cost...I think it is only fair we tell them up front how expensive it can be especially with a SRW truck so they know what there getting into..

It can be really expensive for the mods so a TC will work right on a SRW truck..

I'm burnin' daylight..Got wood to split...Sorry for your headache..

2 Piece

Northern Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/19 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

work2much wrote:

jaycocreek wrote:

Frame mounts...$688
Bump stops.....$300
Lower Stable L.$321
Fastguns.......$327
Total----------$1636

Now for the hurt head...

These new guys that ask about getting into truck camping are not told what all they will need,most of the time,or the cost...I think it is only fair we tell them up front how expensive it can be especially with a SRW truck so they know what there getting into..

It can be really expensive for the mods so a TC will work right on a SRW truck..

Well, getting into truck campers can be expensive, but getting into 5th wheels and tt can be just as expensive. 5th wheel hitches and weight distribution hitches are not cheap.
Now for the Torque Lift stuff you mentioned. You are gonna need a way to attach any truck camper, just happens that IMHO Torque Lift makes the good stuff. You can get less expensive options.
As for me, I have No additional bump stops, stable loads, spring helpers or even sway bars. My F350 DRW handles my +4100 pounds exceptionally well, like it's not even there.
Say what you want, but I'll bet you that i can back in or pull in a site and be level quicker than anybody i know with exception of automatic hydraulic leveling systens.

2018 F350 6.7 diesel, 4x4, DRW, crew cab, 8' box.
2018 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE.

Those that do not read have no advantage over those who can not.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/19 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

5th wheel hitches and weight distribution hitches are not cheap.

The op is talking small TT or FW..Up to a 24-25ft travel trailer no weight distribution hitch is required..I hauled a heavy 24 ft all over with my F-150 without issue..

Fifth wheel hitches with rails are going for around $350 from Reese/Curt and others..I had a Lil' Rocker installed on my truck for less than $500 out the door..

Truck campers have there advantages as do all the other RV's but space is the major disadvantage for most women,not all,most..If one is to spend alot of time inside an RV,the truck camper is not the best option...YMMV

magic43

Brookhaven, Ms.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/19 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

The idle time 24 ft 5th is what I was considering. It has enough interior space with the slide and light enough to be towed with the Ford 150. Having owned both is this 5th wheel much more difficult to travel with say cross country staying only a night or two in each location? Does the high CG of the TC around corners feel less stable than you 24 ft idle time? Said another way is towing your small 5th wheel on the hwy any different than hauling your TC?
There is a difference between my TC and 5th because the Outfitter TC is a popup. Much less wind resistance and 2 mpg better mileage. Parking and fueling is also much easier with the TC because I can fill up at a convenience store and park in a normal parking space. I don't hesitate to pull into McD's for a mid morning sausage/biscuit and coffee but might hesitate with the 5th. No question about the comfort at night and no climbing up into bed at night.

I installed a "Sidewinder" pin box on the Idle Time RKS so there is no worry about blowing a truck back window when turning/backing. Backing still takes more truck movement than a TT. The TC rides smoother because there is no bridge "chucking".

As I previously mentioned, two different RV units for two completely different travel/camping situations.

magic43

GeoBoy

Bennington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/19 03:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

work2much wrote:

jaycocreek wrote:

Frame mounts...$688
Bump stops.....$300
Lower Stable L.$321
Fastguns.......$327
Total----------$1636

Now for the hurt head...

Jayco, we are talking about RVing, nothing is cheap. You want cheap get a tent or cheaper yet just stay home and forget about any kind of RV.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> TC vs Small 5th wheel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.