Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: TC vs Small 5th wheel
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> TC vs Small 5th wheel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

If you have a Stable-Lift on your camper, all you do to level in any direction is press the buttons.

Yup,those interest me..I almost bought one North of Spokane all set up/truck/camper combo..I decided not to because of the ground clearance and rocky terrain I travel sometimes..They should have a quick release to rid the part that hangs below the cab,maybe they do and I don't know but that is my only problem with that setup..Perfect in every other way it seams..

Geez,for the price of a new dually, you can get a new small class C for in the 50's and for 75K you can get a 24ft plus with alot more room than any TC..

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 09:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

Kayteg1 wrote:

The trucks with the options I have seem to retail at $120,000 this year.

What kind options would that be? 2 trucks? Sometimes wonder how drunk you are when posting....

When was the last time you have seen ONE OF THOSE ?
That's the best I could find in your neighborhood Bellevue Ford dealer.
Try to find new (2020) model with 360 cameras, cabin electric heater and extreme tow package?
You should really cut down the sniffing.

But, but......but what did I miss? That looks like $80k to me not 120...

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

2 Piece

Northern Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/19 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

Quote:

What??? I back or pull my TC onto spot, disengage my fast guns get jack remote out and level camper while still on (but disconneted from) truck. Say 5 minutes and I'm level and ready. I've never seen anybody with TT or FW get their rings leveled that fast or easy.

[emoticon]

First,not everyone has fast guns or electric jacks on there TC..

Second..FW-Back in level east to west just as you did with your TC with no fast guns to take off and just hit the button and raise a few to be level..Win Win-FW and same Win with a TT because there was no fast guns to mess with and all are still connected in one way to the truck....

Third..Back in with FW level east to west as we do with a TC..Pull the lever out and hit the button as your wife drives off in the truck to get some more beer and the TT and TC are still connected to the truck...Win-Fifth Wheel wit extra beverages..LOL

In all my years with a TC I have only seen someone do as you say once..They usually just put blocks under the front tires to level North to South..

Fifth Wheels are far and away the quickest setup in the RV world in my opinion minus the auto leveling systems, that they can have also though...Travel trailers can be a bugger to setup compared.

Just a pull of the lever and drive out from under it with legs down,ofcourse...Same hooking up..Pull the lever out and back under it and your done after you plug in..

But a motorhome with auto level trumps the others in setup time, never leaving the drivers seat.

Nope, I pull in or back in with my truck camper, which ever way works best. No driving up on blocks, no figuring out how many blocks needed for level. Not sure what you mean by leveling FW east to west "just as I do whit TC"???? I level east/ west and North/south all with my jacks and all at one time. Flipping a lever on a fast gun tie down is hardly what I would call "messing" with. Like I stated early about 5 minutes I'm level east/west and north south and most of that 5 minutes is waiting on camper jacks to extend. Packing up to go is just as easy.
TC's imho, trump them all. I can pull in any convenience store, any roadside attraction, any scenic overlook without hesitation.

2018 F350 6.7 diesel, 4x4, DRW, crew cab, 8' box.
2018 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE.

Those that do not read have no advantage over those who can not.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm sure this is all helpful, arguing the virtues of leveling up a TC.
On that note, if the parking spot is so out of level that blocks or disconnecting the camper to jack it up level is necessary, by disconnecting without getting semi level with blocks, you're taking a significant amount of camper weight off the truck and onto the very extended jacks which makes the camper unstable.
But carry on.....

Then again I learned in here yesterday that some replace their wheel lug studs every 4-5th tire rotation, so I have to beleive there are other totally counter-intuitive things that people do and then live and die by the assertion that it's the right way to do it.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

But the opp of this thread asked:

Is a small 5th wheel or TT much more difficult to back into a site and level? Have any of you owed both a short 5th wheel and a TC that can comment on any advantages or disadvantages of each setup?

So,unless I read it wrong,he is asking those that have owned both or all three what there opinion was on advantages and disadvantages..

I am just not seeing many that are posting saying they have owned all three and this is my personal opinion on setup and the advantages and disadvantages of each from an opinion based on owning all three..

Not the neighbors..Laffin

magic43

Brookhaven, Ms.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/19 11:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have owned all three plus a Class C Mh, but presently only have a FW and TC. I carry some leveling boards and a set of those plastic "leggo" blocks. I simply pull or back onto whichever is necessary to level E-W or N-S. No big deal either way.

magic43

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

But, but......but what did I miss? That looks like $80k to me not 120...

Yes, you missed it (what else is new).
This is the time of the year when dealer push out models from previous year, while the new, loaded modes haven't arrive yet.
Coming to original topic - there is always some good and some bad from all options.
I used to own ClassC and the small engine could not make it to hilly camping spot. Small wheels and low clearance did not encourage going into gravel roads.
With TC I haven't fond a road that I wanted to go and couldn't.
In Alaska I noticed lot of ClassB Sprinters, or plain construction Sprinters converted for sleeping.
They seem to be appreciated

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/19 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All interesting comments. Sounds like set up and leveling is about the same except if you have a stable lift setup. Some have posted that a TC can get into remote sites better than a TT or small 5th wheel because of GC. I read some on here where people flip their axles on a TT to get greater GC and see where some off road TT's come with greater GC. Wouldn't the height of a TC create more of an issue on forest roads than lower profile units? I prefer these sites but have several roof tears and two cracks A/C covers on my Class A that is 11 ft 6 ins tall backing into these sites. Typically what is the height of an average TC compared to a TT or small 5th wheel? Also I would be interested if the higher CG of a TC is more of an issue on these back roads or on windy mountainous roads?

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/19 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Wouldn't the height of a TC create more of an issue on forest roads than lower profile units? I prefer these sites but have several roof tears and two cracks A/C covers on my Class A that is 11 ft 6 ins tall backing into these sites.

Yes and no..Most TC's with a basement run 12 ft+ depending on the truck bed height with 13 more the norm..I sold my small Class C(13 ft) for that very reason,to tall for the branches in the places I go to...My wife was always out there with a rake or shovel holding up branches.

On my TC now,I am 10ft to the top of the ladder rack,no AC..I use a window unit.

A pop up negates all that but there not my cup of tea.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/19 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My basement model on RWD Ford goes 12-6" high at AC.
Non-basement model was only 12'
Add 3" for 4WD truck.
TC are usually narrower than 8', what makes it slightly easier going into woods than wider RVs

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> TC vs Small 5th wheel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.