cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Options for Replacement Mattresses?

Powertour
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our coach has the mattress with the cutout on 1 corner (non walk-around bed configuration) & we hate it. So far we've tried a foam topper from Walmart with the factory mattress but that wasn't much of an improvement.

We also tried an all-foam mattress for our home bed once & hated it (sent it back for a refund) so we're reluctant to try an all foam bed for the RV unless that's the only way we can try something other than what came with the rig from the factory.

Anyone found a decent solution for these kind of beds (other than buying a coach with a bigger &/or walk-around bed type).
2015 Itasca 25b Ford E350 V10
15 REPLIES 15

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
I also went and got twin air mattresses and put them on top of the stock foam mattress. Our RV is a rear twin bed configuration.

The only problem was the air mattress had a tendancy to want to slip off the lower mattress. I solved this by making a giant seat belt loop using those ratchety-tie down straps (I cut off the strap - no metal involved). The loop goes around both mattresses down by the feet. This keeps the air mattress in place.
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

Powertour
Explorer II
Explorer II
Over the weekend we tried a work around of sorts. We ordered up 2 air mattresses from Amazon put them between the Winnebago 'mattress' & our foam pad topper, then covered the setup with sheets etc.

Probably wouldn't work for a full-timer situation but for a sample of 1 weekend it worked fantastically..... slept like rocks

Link to type we used here if interested

chinrv
Explorer
Explorer
We went to a local foam mattress company, and, after making a paper template by taping some craft paper together, we bought 2 foam pieces. The bottom 4" piece was the very firm density, and the 2" top piece was more comfortably softer. It has worked great for the last 5+ years...and the bed is easy to make.

Powertour
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sure appreciate the feedback. Sounds like I may have to get the Mrs ok with the fact that finding a foam mattress that works for us is going to have to be what the realistic task will be.

Grangrey4
Explorer
Explorer
by the way i was able to cut the mattress topper for the corner with just a carving knife. Very easy to do.

Grangrey4
Explorer
Explorer
Ron has the best idea. I did find a foam rubber company in our ares. They say they make them all the time and carry everything from memory to regular foam. They will measure for you if you drive down to shop. $385 is what he quoted. In the mean time I bought a 3 inch mattress pad off Amazon (green tea) i think it was and it helped me a lot. We have the same bed you have but it was a bed of nails!

PhilipB
Explorer
Explorer
We bought last year from Tochta.com. They say they can do any size/cut/etc. We like ours.
2015 Ram 2500
[purple]2013 Raptor 310TS[/purple]

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2007 rig HERE has a rear corner bed with a cut corner. We dealt with the original less-than-ideal mattress for 10 years. Last year we decided to replace it in affordable fashion. We paid $110 for a 6" thick Hometics mattress from Walmart-on-line. Once it arrived home, we removed the zippered cover and then the heavy fire barrier. We used an electric knife and cut the corner, then put the zippered cover back on and sewn it with the extra material in a way that was not intrusive. We later bought a matching mattress cover from the RV manufacture for an exceptional finish.

Here are some pictures of the project.

This is the original mattress that was being replaced after 10 years. It was never dense enough for me. When I sat up, I felt the plywood deck.

Here is the 6" Hometics mattress from Walmart for $110
The zippered cover and fire barrier is removed.
You can see the 1.5" memory foam on top of 4.5" of regular foam.

This is the zippered Hometics cover.

This is the heavy fire barrier that we did NOT reuse because the mattress was too heavy to handle in the motor home for putting on bedding and such. Our original mattress did not have a fire barrier either.

These tools were used.

After the cut.

With the zippered cover, not adjusted (shown upside-down)

Back in the motor home with the zippered Phoenix Cruiser factory cover.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
I was just asked this question by a buddy of mine who owns a class c.

I was able to find this place. There are other suppliers if you do a web search on โ€œRV corner cut mattressโ€.

Corner Cut Mattress

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Powertour wrote:

Dang I knew I was going to get this reply....

"Temptation" was just too great on that one! You led me right to it. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Resistance is futile. A new camper is on the horizon! :B

Powertour
Explorer II
Explorer II
camperdave wrote:
Is it the corner cutout that is giving you issues with finding a new mattress? FWIW our old trailer was a corner bed where the mattress had a cut corner (presumably for better access to the bathroom). We replaced it with a rectangular mattress and it worked fine, just overhung a bit on that one corner.

Yes that's correct.

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
Is it the corner cutout that is giving you issues with finding a new mattress? FWIW our old trailer was a corner bed where the mattress had a cut corner (presumably for better access to the bathroom). We replaced it with a rectangular mattress and it worked fine, just overhung a bit on that one corner.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are almost as many types of foam mattresses out there as there are consumers - and a sample of one is not statistically significant. We sleep on a Tuft & Needle foam mattress and both of us agree it's the best mattress we've ever slept on in our lives. We like it so much, we just bought one for the bed we sleep in when we stay at our daughter's house.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Powertour
Explorer II
Explorer II
DutchmenSport wrote:
Our first travel trailer had a corner bed like that. Solution? .... um ... we traded the camper for one with a walk around rectangular bed! (I know, that's not the answer you were looking for).... sorry about that, but just couldn't resist! :B

Dang I knew I was going to get this reply.... even if I tried to keep you guys from going this route on my original post ๐Ÿ™‚