cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do you leave plugged into shore power...?

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
I read recently that one should not leave the MH plugged in when not in use. We're on our 5th MH and have always left them plugged in when not in use. If, for no other reason, to keep batteries charged. What do you do?
2017 Winnebago Sunstar (gas)
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake
24 REPLIES 24

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
camperdave wrote:
w4phj wrote:
I'm plugged in 24/7 using a 50A outlet in my garage.

Measured charge current at 400ma in trickle mode.

Batteries have 2 quarts of distilled water added about every 3 months.

That seems like a lot! Unless you have a lot of really big batteries I guess. My dual 6 volters need something like a cup of water a year added (never measured, but less than a turkey baster bulb/cell).

Exactly.....

2 QUARTS every 3 MONTHS???

My dual 12V need a tablespoon per cell twice a year
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
w4phj wrote:

That seems like a lot! Unless you have a lot of really big batteries I guess. My dual 6 volters need something like a cup of water a year added (never measured, but less than a turkey baster bulb/cell).
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
When Our charger goes to "Float charge" there isn't much Amperage draw. It never boils the battery dry.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I leave my rv plugged into a timer so it gets a bit of juice daily, not 24/7/365
bumpy

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
goufgators wrote:
I read recently that one should not leave the MH plugged in when not in use. We're on our 5th MH and have always left them plugged in when not in use. If, for no other reason, to keep batteries charged. What do you do?

Only time in the last twenty year we have not left ours plugged in is when it was Impossible.

Why would you not?

JMHO,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

w4phj
Explorer
Explorer

2021 Winnebago View 24J
2021 Ram pick up
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ham Radio Extra Class Volunteer Examiner
FAA A&P License

1969 Plymouth Road Runner

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Solar

We have solar too, but when at home we don't worry about the inverter being off or on and using anything in it.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Roger_in_VERMON
Explorer
Explorer
Even when we winterize it and in storage for the winter we keep it plugged in.
๐Ÿ™‚ 2001 41' Holiday Rambler Imperial
2004 Jeep Wrangler
Weekenders and Loving it!

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
goufgators wrote:

Keep it plugged in. This "assumes" you have a multi-stage charger for the batteries. Anything else that is being used to keep the batteries up should be replaced with one that is.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
In days of old when folks were bold a converter was not a think of beauth. Big iron core transformer. Lousy voltage regulation and no smarts so it kept on a chuging out a few too many amps no matter the battery was full last week (Boiled them dry swiftly)

Today most RV's have either a well regulated single stage that actually will never get a battery to "Full up" or a "Smart" (2 or 3 stage) charger that will then drop down to float and can be left plugged in full time.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
With a solar battery maintainer no need to plugin.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We have a FW and keep in plugged in between use. We check the batteries regularly and more so in the winter.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Mine has been plugged in at my house for over 5 years now and I never have to check the AGM batteries..

:C