Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: For those that have had a blowout when towing
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> For those that have had a blowout when towing

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
pennysmom09

Delaware

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/19 12:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I, the passenger, saw the flying debris but heard nothing from our fifth wheel. It was the fourth year. Fair amount of damage to the rig, although only cosmetic.

Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

ependydad

Here and there

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/19 12:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TPMS went off for my flats.

https://learntorv.com/how-and-why-to-monitor-tire-pressure/

2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2012 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: B&W Turnover Ball + Companion
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

jkwilson

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/19 01:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kind of the reason for a TPMS. Very seldom any warning. The TPMS might give you long enough to get to the shoulder. Last summer I got a warning just as I got back up to speed from a fuel stop. Immediately took the next exit. TPMS showed 19lbs when I pulled into a gas station. Got to change it at a gas station with a bathroom, cold drinks and no traffic rather than on the shoulder with cars screaming by at 75.

John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

the bear II

Torrance CA.

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/19 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I heard a bang and looked in the mirror just in time to see a large portion of tread flying up in the air. Luckily the tire still held air even though the entire length of tread came off exposing the steel belts. I was able to get off at the next exit to change the tire.

Second time, my wife was following in her car and saw blue smoke from one of the trailer tires every time I went over a bump. She called me, I saw the smoke, pulled off at the next exit and discovered the center of the front tire was bulged all the way around and was rubbing against the rear tire on each bump. The tread was beginning to separate.

rwess

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/19 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had two blowouts on travel trailers. Been towing trailers since 1996. Both blowouts happened on the right rear tire. I never knew that I had a blowout, never heard it or felt it. Camper still towed normally. Both times someone came up beside me and yelled and pointed at trailer tires. Both times were Chinese maypops. Always checked my tires and kept them properly inflated. Just replaced my Chinese maypops with a new set of Goodyear Endurance. I hope they are better than the imported tires. Changing tires on the side of an interstate highway is no fun at all.

The best ST tires I ever had were Goodyear Marathons in the late 1990's and early 2000's. They lasted forever!

rwess
USN Ret.
2017 Open Range 216RBS
2010 Chevy 2500HD Z71 4x4 LT

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/19 02:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dick_B wrote:

I predict those three RVers will be purchasing a TPMS shortly. That's what we did!

This will not solve your problem. How do I know? We have a TPMS and had a blowout. No warning on our system and you won't when it's that sudden.

We did not have a warning other than carelessness. We had not been diligent in checking out tires other than air pressure. Since having the tread separate, we annually have our tires inspected by a dealership including having them do a spin test. Several times they found problems just with that test. After four years of inspections and some replacements at inspection time, we replaced them all again with a heavier ply and higher load rating. Also, do not discount having your trailer alignment inspected. With two years in a row of weird tire wear on the same tire, we had the alignment inspected and it was off. Once it was addressed, we did not have uneven wear on that same side. Well with faithful annual inspections we have not had a blowout since. Maintenance is the most important thing including proper tire pressure. Not once did I mention brand because that was not a factor.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/19 03:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Noise, steering wheel felt funny and other drivers signaling me. I never depart in the morning without a pressure check.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2019 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/19 03:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Twenty some bombs mentioned so far in this brief thread, and to think there are those that constantly defend this junk!

RAS43

Littleton,CO

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/19 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a blowout with my prior 5th wheel. We heard it but thought it was the trailer going the other way. About 4 more miles and we were in a narrow rock walled canyon and heard a buzzing noise. Pulled over and found the right front tire blown and only the sidewalls left. Changed it myself and when we got home I replaced all 4. I don't remember how old they were but they were Goodyear Marathons.
That is the only blowout or tire problem in 44 years of pulling various RV trailers with who knows what brand of tire. And not much time maintaining them except for checking tire pressures and looking at sidewalls occasionally.
Now I have a TPMS, buy only name brand tires, and spend more time inspecting and reading discussions like this. Don't know if things have improved. [emoticon]

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/19 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Desert Captain wrote:

On our 22' TT: My first clue was the car alongside honking and pointing at my trailers rear axle.
[emoticon]

That's funny. Tragedy plus time equals humor. Reminds me of a true story. A few years ago I pulled up side a fully loaded jacked up Bronco that clearly had a very low right rear tire. I honked, then pointed at the offending tire holding my thumb and index finger about an inch apart. The driver aggressively flipped me off and continued on. The tire eventually blew and the Bronco went out of control leaving the freeway. In the aftermath, I stopped and asked the driver why he ignored me. He stated that he thought I was making reference to the size of his male member. The truck was a mess.

Chum lee

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> For those that have had a blowout when towing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS