Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: building new campground
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> building new campground

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Bert Ackerman

Palm Beach

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/19 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westernrvparkowner wrote:

Capturing overnighters with a 16 mile round trip to the main road is a tough fight. It will be even tougher without any natural draw such as a well known attraction or a moderately sized town. You will need to advertise like mad to begin with.
My advice would be to make the building of the park your last step. Investigate the costs of substantial advertising and insurance. Be sure your zoning allows it. Zoning often requires site surveys, public hearings, engineering reports and on and on.
It is my third hand understanding that New York can be a real pain when it comes to regulatory rules. This will be especially true with potable water that is not a municipal system. The wastewater disposal system, the size and location of bathrooms, ADA requirements are all regulated and if you do it wrong the regulators don't offer backsies . There may very well be fire codes regarding roads, site density, access and the like. Be sure your roadmap to building that park is clear of all the pitfalls before you start moving dirt.

NY state is probably the most over regulated state going, I know from experience. We developed commercial properties all over NY for a lot of years. As an example here are the NY Dept of Health REGULATIONS regarding campgrounds. That is just a teaser because then you have the Local/County folks, the NYDEC folks, and a whole slew of others who all will have their hands in your pocket, and nothing will be cheap. Wait until you jump through the NYDEC hoops.

With campsites being so hard to get if you go by the constant posts on RV boards, what do you think the reason is why you don't see campgrounds being built everywhere? It's not as easy as moving some dirt and throwing in a few no frills sites out on the back 40, especially in NY.

Not to mention you'll probably have the NIMBY's to deal with.

I'll take a wild guess at it. Land cost aside because the OP already owns it. Minimum campsite size is required to be 1250 sq.ft. I would not be surprised in the least that to develop the sites alone with electric and water only, its going to be somewhere in the neighborhood of $18K per 1250 sq ft site at a minimum. Possibly a substantial amount more. And the dump station? Ca-Ching.

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/19 02:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When traveling and looking for an " over nighter" the FIRST thing I look for is distance from the highway.... We are NOT retired and are traveling to get to our destination for vacation... IF I were a full timer, that would give me a different outlook on that..

As far as tax's and regulations, I agree that as soon as that is no longer a WORKING FARM, you will lose that benefit, whatever it may be..

Me-Her-the kids
2015 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020Redwood 3991RD Garnet

2bzy2c

California

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/19 03:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No. California is. My dump station "fee" for my project was $142,000. No typo. That was for only 2 dump stations, that were private, not public.

My offsite fees were north of $700,000. School fees, TUMF fees, Environmental fees, drainage fees, permit fees, blah, blah, blah.

Glad it's over.

You have a nice dream, but either you go big and build a substantial project that can amortize the costs over many sites, or go home.

My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/19 03:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need a business plan. Have it reviewed by a professional with RV park experience. Also check with your CPA/EA and a land use attorney.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2019 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/19 03:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is exactly the kind of places we seek out, even for an over night - provided we have a little extra time. And really sounds like something we would look for when we start full timing. A day turns into two...

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/19 04:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can tell you that as a true fulltimer, looking for and needing overnight parking, I would NEVER go to a site 8 miles off the Interstate. Never!

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

FIRE UP

Lake Havasu City AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/19 04:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I would GLADLY travel 8 miles to a nice, quiet and secure place for even one night. EIGHT MILES, what's that? It's a heart beat in terms of traveling hundreds during the day. Yes, we see and, have rarely stayed at, RV parks and campground that are on the other side of a fence, by an off ramp of freeway. No thanks. Campground builders can usually purchase land that close to freeways for CHEAP! And, they also know that many folks don't want to drive ANY more distance than they have to for an over nights stay.

I have never heard of the "Harvest Host" program. I think it's great. The wife and I are so tired of "live-ins" at many, many of the RV parks and campgrounds we've visited. The Harvest Host program and, the OP's thoughts are very welcome to us, even for just a night. Heck, I'd drive to the OP's x-farm for just one night, as long as we're not put next to broken bicycles, broken cars, dead potted plants hanging all over etc. To be able to park, setup, and then just sit outside and relax without car noise, Jake brakes or, staring at a sewer dump hose 5' away from our chairs, is a welcome thought.
Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

robatthelake

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/19 04:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might be able to test the waters so to speak by joining Boondockers Welcome.com!
No immediate income but this is the type of location many would be attracted to !

Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/19 05:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FIRE UP wrote:

My wife and I would GLADLY travel 8 miles to a nice, quiet and secure place for even one night. EIGHT MILES, what's that? It's a heart beat in terms of traveling hundreds during the day. Yes, we see and, have rarely stayed at, RV parks and campground that are on the other side of a fence, by an off ramp of freeway. No thanks. Campground builders can usually purchase land that close to freeways for CHEAP! And, they also know that many folks don't want to drive ANY more distance than they have to for an over nights stay.

I have never heard of the "Harvest Host" program. I think it's great. The wife and I are so tired of "live-ins" at many, many of the RV parks and campgrounds we've visited. The Harvest Host program and, the OP's thoughts are very welcome to us, even for just a night. Heck, I'd drive to the OP's x-farm for just one night, as long as we're not put next to broken bicycles, broken cars, dead potted plants hanging all over etc. To be able to park, setup, and then just sit outside and relax without car noise, Jake brakes or, staring at a sewer dump hose 5' away from our chairs, is a welcome thought.
Scott

After driving 300-400 miles, without that being my destination, I am looking for the shortest distance between 2 points. Wal-Mart, rest area, 1-2 mile campground, I really don't care. But 16 mile round trip is NOT going to work FOR ME. As always, YMMV!

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/19 05:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's also interesting that the OP posted this in the Class A motorhomes topic. Do you only plan to allow Class A RV's into your campground? Do you plan to set yourself up as one of the elitist Class A only campgrounds? If so, another reason I will never visit despite owning a Class A.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> building new campground
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS