Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: building new campground
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> building new campground

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/19 11:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would drive 8 miles off the highway for a basic enroute place to get some sleep. Although 7 miles of slow gravel road would be disappointing.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

William B

On the road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/19 06:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

For overnighters I would go with 30 amp electric only and a central hose bib. No shower house, no club house, no dump, no swimming pool. Just a place to get a quiet night of rest. Probably cut your price a bit and see where it goes. You can always add more amenities but once that money is spent and this thing never takes off it could just be a sink hole. If it does take off you can keep your overnight section and start building a full service section.

Well, I don't mind the 8 miles in the least, but this would keep me away.

Full timing since 2004
2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45' DD Series 60
2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Limited

Our Blog

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/19 04:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you use the assumption that you are not going to get any overnighter just looking for a quick stop then 30 amp service would be fine as you will be a destination campground instead. For overnight, I am going to find a campground close to the Interstate AND with 50 amp service.
Keep in mind that a 30 amp coach can make full use of a 50 amp plug but a 50 amp coach might be crippled by a 30 amp plug depending upon the weather. I suspect the cost difference of a new installation would be minimal and only installing 30 amp would be a mistake.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/19 10:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

When traveling and looking for an " over nighter" the FIRST thing I look for is distance from the highway.... We are NOT retired and are traveling to get to our destination for vacation... IF I were a full timer, that would give me a different outlook on that..

As far as tax's and regulations, I agree that as soon as that is no longer a WORKING FARM, you will lose that benefit, whatever it may be..

What it's called is farm deferral of taxes. Farmers get a big reduction of property taxes as long as they farm it. A problem arises when someone new buys the property, and decides not to farm it. When this happens, they have to pay all the back taxes to the beginning of farm deferral, no matter how far back it is. Nobody typically does this, but some buyers are unaware of the law when they buy, and the County hands them a really big bill. I'm in Oregon and we have that here.

Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. 2017 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS. Wife and daughter. Three cats which we must obey.

mike brez

Unknown

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/19 05:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

T18skyguy wrote:

ford truck guy wrote:

When traveling and looking for an " over nighter" the FIRST thing I look for is distance from the highway.... We are NOT retired and are traveling to get to our destination for vacation... IF I were a full timer, that would give me a different outlook on that..

As far as tax's and regulations, I agree that as soon as that is no longer a WORKING FARM, you will lose that benefit, whatever it may be..

What it's called is farm deferral of taxes. Farmers get a big reduction of property taxes as long as they farm it. A problem arises when someone new buys the property, and decides not to farm it. When this happens, they have to pay all the back taxes to the beginning of farm deferral, no matter how far back it is. Nobody typically does this, but some buyers are unaware of the law when they buy, and the County hands them a really big bill. I'm in Oregon and we have that here.

If it is were I’m thinking it is they are farming some grain and hops for beer.
I’m sure that would keep that going along with some rv pads

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/19 06:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2012Coleman wrote:

So to those who won't drive 8 miles to an out of the way CG after driving hundreds of miles that day, what's your next move - driving 25+ miles to the next Walmart?

The whole 8 miles thing:
- If it's a destination park, sure no big deal.
- If it's a quick overnight, yeah, it's costs me 16 miles round trip, so yeah, I might push on 25 miles to the next park that is near the highway. Worst case, it cuts 25 miles off the next day's travel.

Not being realistic is a big part of why most businesses fail in the first few years.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

2bzy2c

California

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/19 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Offer free beer, then the distance becomes a non issue.

My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/19 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mike brez wrote:

T18skyguy wrote:

ford truck guy wrote:

If it is were I’m thinking it is they are farming some grain and hops for beer.
I’m sure that would keep that going along with some rv pads
While the whole scenario is fuzzy, in the original post they said they were going to get out of Dairy farming and move into the RV Park business. Government loves it's taxes. Don't believe they would allow an Agricultural exemption to remain on the entire property if the dairy farm went away, was replaced by an RV Park and all that remained was a few acres of grain and hops for a brewery. Kind of like I can't just plant a rooftop garden on my 100 million dollar Manhattan Penthouse that overlooks Central Park and claim an Agricultural use tax exemption because it is being used for crop production.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/19 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westernrvparkowner wrote:

While the whole scenario is fuzzy, in the original post they said they were going to get out of Dairy farming and move into the RV Park business. Government loves it's taxes. Don't believe they would allow an Agricultural exemption to remain on the entire property if the dairy farm went away, was replaced by an RV Park and all that remained was a few acres of grain and hops for a brewery. Kind of like I can't just plant a rooftop garden on my 100 million dollar Manhattan Penthouse that overlooks Central Park and claim an Agricultural use tax exemption because it is being used for crop production.

That might depend on your name and tax bracket.
One thing they do have in their favor is they are already used to 7 day a week job...

Bert Ackerman

Palm Beach

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/19 09:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You all can debate it until the cows come home. Its all academic. The OP needs to get an attorney well versed in real estate, preferably with an emphasis on commercial development, and from the local area. Until all the requirements are known from city,township,county,state,federal etc., and what has to be done is known to cross the T's and dot the I's locally, you may as well discuss ST tires or fridge leveling. It may be nothing more than the OP proceeding and keeping his mouth shut but I highly doubt that anywhere in NY. Then they'll have to appease the NIMBYs.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> building new campground
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.