cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

where can I do this (purchase a lot and put an rv on it)?

solismaris
Explorer
Explorer
What's to stop me from just buying a nice lot somewhere and putting my trailer on it, using it maybe 10-20 weeks out of the year for camping?

Presumably, zoning laws.

But seriously, is this possible any place in the northeast us? (MA, ME, NH, VT)?
David Kojen
13 REPLIES 13

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
There's lots of LOTS for sale on eBay and Zillow. The midwest and southern states seem to have the lowest prices. Be sure to get a lot that has a full street address.... as in 105 main st, not just main street.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Are you going to leave the trailer on it for 10-20 weeks consecutively, or use it a couple weeks at a time ?
If it's just a couple weeks, and take it out to dump & refill, I don't know why you'd need anything, just like dry camping or boondocking.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

wiskeyVI
Explorer
Explorer
Some states, there's just no way! Oregon comes to mide, prolly Washington as well.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
A friend semi retired, found a small town, bought a commercial building. Park a old TT inside, for kitchen and bedroom. His tractor and end-dump, and TC park in living room.

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
solismaris wrote:
What's to stop me from just buying a nice lot somewhere and putting my trailer on it, using it maybe 10-20 weeks out of the year for camping?

Presumably, zoning laws.

But seriously, is this possible any place in the northeast us? (MA, ME, NH, VT)?

Before you invest, make sure you check state, county and city zoning laws. We had a gentleman invest in some land here in Washington and then found out it wasn't allowed.

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
solismaris wrote:

Presumably, zoning laws.

Before you invest, make sure you check state, county and city zoning laws. We had a gentleman invest in some land here in Washington and then found out it wasn't allowed.

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Answered your own question: Zoning.
That said, and as noted already, there are LOTS of places in the USA that still 'allow' you that freedom.
Your research starts.................Now.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
One way I have seen people get around this is to buy a location with an old mobile home on it, well and septic are in and they just tap in, another is if you can find somewhere that a house has recently burned out or down. Again well and septic are in, and if they had a separate garage that had power to it, even better.

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's not a permanent residence, so trying to apply building codes might not be the right approach, folks...

Look for unincorporated land where there isn't a HOA or other county/town rule which says you can't park/store a vehicle long term.

As long as you're not dumping black tank waste on the ground, I don't see why your holding tanks wouldn't suffice. Solar panels on the roof go a long way towards not needing electricity, and you can always bring water to fill your fresh tank.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
In Vermont (and I think New England generally), zoning regulations are determined on a town by town basis. I think there are some areas where that would not be prohibited, particularly on sufficiently large lots.

Septic may be the biggest hurdle from a legal point of view if it's required. At least in Vermont, it's very easy for a septic system design and approval to be five figures--and that's before any parts are bought or dirt is moved. Electric service is, of course, also not inexpensive to install, particularly if fairly distant from the power lines.

DuchmenSport's approach may be more practical. The obvious downside is that you have a whole extra house to maintain.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Or do like we did... we purchased a house so we could park the camper on the property and use the camper full time if we wanted. We made sure what the zoning rules were before we purchased the house. The house has water, sewer, electricity. We park the camper in the driveway or behind the house, and basically use the house to do laundry, and when propane usage reaches 1 - thirty pound tank every two days in the winter for heat, then we move back into the house. We have a fire pit and a way to dump the tanks in the trailer. I installed two - thirty amp RV receptacle and one 50 amp receptacle so the camper can be moved to different locations on the property.

If we could not do this, we'd be looking for a new property.

It's an alternative. Maybe you could find an existing property that has an RV port, like a car port, but for RV's, or an existing farm lot with a barn that already has power running to it.

Works for us. But we do keep the camper completely mobile too. In 30 minutes we could be buttoned up, hitched, and out the driveway at any time. We do camp away from home almost every week-end. So these tires never have time to grow moss.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
There are many places in/around Eastern Kentucky, Southern West Virginia, Southwest Virginia and Northeast Tennessee that has little/no zoning, but you will still have to conform to the Dept of Health requirements for water and sewer. It can still be done.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't know about the NE but in Florida you have to have 5 acres of land to do that. Plus you need power, a well (can be a big deal in the rocky NE I understand) and a septic tank if they are allowed. Not chump change by the time you are ready to move in.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper