cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stand Up EZ- Haul Idler car tow dolly info

Hydrowilly
Explorer
Explorer
We just got a 2005 Winnie Winnie, 31 footer and will be towing a 2011 Honda Fit which weighs abut 2500 lbs. I’ve seen these EZ Haul Dollie which can be stood up so it can be stored out of the way and it only weights 330 lbs. Anyone have experience with this dolly or know anything about the brand? tThis will be our first time pull a vehicle. Thanks
11 REPLIES 11

Hydrowilly
Explorer
Explorer
Great info. Thank you

TomAnderson
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve purchase one of these Stand Up Ez Hauls from https://towsmarttrailers.com/
To tow my 2012 Toyota Prius back in July 2018. I’ve put about 12k miles at first I was skeptic about the wheel size but after doing some research they are using some high quality 10ply Radial tires.
Not only that but another concern of mine was the clearance of the bumper of the Prius, Luckly you can adjust the tow hitch height and towing it at 12 inches from the ground I was able to clear with no rubbing on the undercarriage.

I’ve got a class b so I opt in with the one with surge brakes ***Link Removed***

Good luck!

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:
camperdave wrote:
I know it's not what you asked, but have you looked into flat towing the Fit?

Good point IMO , I got different answers from different Honda service dealers regarding 4 down flat towing the Fit. I ended buying the Sonic where everyone agreed that it could be done.

Not exactly what I meant, in that I know the 2011 Fit can be towed 4 down. I was wondering more if the OP had already considered this and decided against flat towing, or didn't know it was an option.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
camperdave wrote:

Good point IMO , I got different answers from different Honda service dealers regarding 4 down flat towing the Fit. I ended buying the Sonic where everyone agreed that it could be done.

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

Hydrowilly
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. Lots of info to digest but lots of help too.

seb1899
Explorer
Explorer
I owned an Acme EZ Tow dolly for 5 years towing a Saab Convertible and the a Volkswagen Eos it was a great dolly in that there is no steering pan as the cars 'inverse steered'. I towed it across country to Yuma in 2015 and to Florida and back to NC in 16,17 and 18. My only complaint was there is no lateral forgiveness with the ratchets as they are bolted in place. When the car was loaded you had to be centered on the ratchets or back down the ramps and try again.

In order to preserve marital harmony I sold the Acme and purchased a Stehl dolly. Now loading is a breeze as the ratchets can be moved if you are out a couple of inches.

The Stehl is heavier but it has surge disc brakes as the Acme did and it is easier to load. Mastertow is a good dolly but they have drum surge brakes rather than disc

Both of the dollys stored mostly under my Class C so they do not take a lot of room on a campsite.

I believe many states require the dolly have brakes in order to be legal so be sure to ge a dolly with brakes, You can Google Acme Tow Dolly and see their video on their site

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
There is one make of dolly that instead of having a pivoting plate it's wheels caster. I've never used one but, to me, it seems like a much better setup.

Dusty

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Be concerned with tire size, type of brakes either electric or surge, ease of use for the tie down system and the type of loading ramps.
Some ramps that are fixed to the dolly can sometimes cause undercarriage damage to a vehicle by dips in a road surface or driveway aprons. Some models have ramps that can be removed.

here is a general info link.

https://rvshare.com/blog/comprehensive-guide-choosing-right-rv-tow-dolly/

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
Been very happy with our Master Tow 80", but we have plenty of space to store it.

When you turn, something has to give. The new lightweight stand-ups I've seen don't have a pivoting plate (where the tires are strapped down), so you're probably going to put extra wear on the dolly tires, your car's tires, or both.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

pushtoy_2
Explorer
Explorer
do a lot of research there a lot of tow dolly out there see what will work for you.. I have a master tow I tow a ford escape its works for me.. I bought it used. want to flat tow but can't afford a new car so this is it. spent 1000$ much less then a new car
DREAMER FMCA200924
GS Life member