cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

USA crossing to Canada from NY

Debbie
Explorer
Explorer
Question we are crossing with Fifth wheel from Buffalo NY, to Canada tomorrow. We noticed a toll road we think is on the Canada side. Question will they take US money or credit card? Or do we have to get Canadian?
I wanna go where I haven't been, but still wanna see what I've seen again!
6 REPLIES 6

Debbie
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. We asked at the bridge. US CC so we were good. We stopped at the welcome center. We took 401/ 403 West. We are spending the night at Willow Lake RV Cg. Woodstock, Canada. Headed to Port Huron, MI. Milford, MI. Thks
I wanna go where I haven't been, but still wanna see what I've seen again!

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
To answer your question; They will take either! We just finished a month long trip going in and out of Canada. We used our credit card for all purchases in Canada. Let the bank handle the conversion, in fact you will get a better rate that way. We stayed 4 days at the Jellystone park at Niagara Falls loved it. If you are going there get the WE GO pass it comes with all ready paid tickets for the sights.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

Keily
Explorer
Explorer
The toll you are talking about is just a few hundred feet after you clear customs, we came that way in May of this year, and they will accept US dollars or Canadian dollars, they will apply the current exchange rate based on the daily exchange rate.

winniman
Explorer
Explorer
Totally agree on avoiding the 407. Where are you planning on going in Ontario. As stated, set your gps to avoid tolls. Its basically the only one in Ontario.

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
Set your GPS to avoid toll roads!
My history with the ETR is avoid, because by the they catch up to it will cost you $$$ in late penalties!
At the border they take US, CA cash or EZ-Pass.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
What is your destination in Canada? The 407 ETR (Express Toll Road) going into Toronto is photo tolling or ETR transponder only. The photo tolling bill is mailed to you. The toll is easily avoided though, by taking the roughly parallel 403/401 route instead. The only other toll road I know of in Ontario is the short 412 that connects the 401 to the 407 in Whitby and is also photo tolled.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate