cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goosebox vs. fifthwheel

hedgehog48
Explorer
Explorer
If you were outfitting a new long bed pickup to tow a fifthwheel camper would you buy a nice fifthwheel hitch and spend the money instead on a Reese goosebox and ball combo? I’m liking the goosebox idea because removing just a ball doesn’t involve any heavy lifting. What are the pros and cons of both?
18 REPLIES 18

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
Only negative to the chains is having to reach into the bed to hook them.

Think crawl in the bed to attach and un-attach them.

When I used an Andersen hitch I just reversed the connections so my hooks clipped to the pinbox eyes so All I had to do was reach in the bed and not climb in. I would leave my hitch in the bed only removing if needing to haul stuff.
I would go to the goosebox but they don't make one to replace my Dexter pinbox width so check your deminsions.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
FishOnOne wrote:
This Reese Goosebox hitch allows a short bed Chevy to make a full 90* turn. As I stated earlier the new GM molded bed step provides zero value when hitching up.

Link

Since the hitch is basically centered over the axle the tires are in the way of putting a step where it really needs to be.

I am surprised that no one has come out yet with a special bed for gooseneck/fifthwheel trailers with lower sides. It sure seems to me that it would offer a lot of benefits, especially if the trailers were designed to take advantage of the lower side rails.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Charlie D. wrote:
I could turn 90 degree on my 2013 and 2018 Chevrolet when on level ground ground such as in the video. Front of camper is scalloped like so many today.
On uneven ground it has come very close. I refuse to turn or back up at more than 45 degree. Puts too much stress ob=n the trailer and tires. People who try to help back up often tell me to keep turning and I sometimes have to tell them several times that my preference is to back up and forward as needed to prevent such sharp angles.

The ability to make sharp turns is widely perceived as one of the key advantages of a fifth wheel or gooseneck. No wonder so many people have a hard time with your position. But, you are free to do whatever you want.

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
I could turn 90 degree on my 2013 and 2018 Chevrolet when on level ground ground such as in the video. Front of camper is scalloped like so many today.
On uneven ground it has come very close. I refuse to turn or back up at more than 45 degree. Puts too much stress ob=n the trailer and tires. People who try to help back up often tell me to keep turning and I sometimes have to tell them several times that my preference is to back up and forward as needed to prevent such sharp angles.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
This Reese Goosebox hitch allows a short bed Chevy to make a full 90* turn. As I stated earlier the new GM molded bed step provides zero value when hitching up.

Link
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
I've put about 1K miles on my new Goosebox v2 with a 15K fiver and love it. I would definitely go that route over a traditional fifth wheel hitch. It rides well, I haven't had to add any air to it since the initial fill during install a couple months ago, and my bed is nice and clean with the trailer isn't attached. I would not use this configuration with a shortbed.

I have a hard tonneau cover so I use the bed for additional secure storage while camping -- if I had a standard hitch, this would be much more of a pain. The downside is that the tonneau cover blocks the view of the hitch ball from the cargo cam, so I'm back to hooking up blindly. Loved using the cargo cam to hook up before I added the tonneau -- so something to keep in mind, if you want to use both.

I've previously used Pullrite Superglide, TrailerSaver BD3, B&W Patriot, and Curt A16 hitches, as well as a Sidewinder Airborne pinbox. Of all the configurations, I like this one the best, followed by the TrailerSaver BD3 with standard Lippert 1621 pinbox.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40',
4380W solar, 22.8kWh LiFePO4@48V, 450AH AGM@12V
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T, cloaked on 37x13.5s

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
OP,
One as to determine what is the amount of time it takes to hitch the two types versus how much time you need to remove the fifth wheel hitch to have the entire bed space.

For me I would go with the gooseneck type hands down to have full bed capacity at all times with minimal effort.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Huntindog wrote:
Me Again wrote:
BB_TX wrote:

If that is the only downside, I can live with that.
I have a folding stepstool that has been standard equipment on our camper for years. It just found another reason to come along.

Too bad the 2020 GMs molded in bed side step is not in a useful location.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
BB_TX wrote:

If that is the only downside, I can live with that.
I have a folding stepstool that has been standard equipment on our camper for years. It just found another reason to come along.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
BB_TX wrote:

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
Because it is a ball hitch many states require safety chains. Weight-be-dammed I would get a B&W puck mounted hitch.
Just curious.. What is the negative on safety chains?

I am considering this myself for our upcoming TH.

The thought of simply removing a ball, to get my bed back is very appealing.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Because it is a ball hitch many states require safety chains. Weight-be-dammed I would get a B&W puck mounted hitch.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

kmac7800
Explorer
Explorer
The "add air to airbag" was an issue with loose fitting(s) letting air out. Once they tightened the fitting up, all was good. This has not been a problem on their second generation.

If/when we move up to 5th wheel, the Goosebox is high on my list for the same reasons as the OP.

YMMV. Good luck.

//KMac