Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Goodyear Endurance long term review.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Goodyear Endurance long term review.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
CALandLIN

SC

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/19 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GY does not advertise their Endurance trailer tires as mileage tires. Like all other ST tires they are wear-out tires. To get in excess of 25K from any ST tire requires some excellent management practices.

To replace the OPs GY tires with another design such as a low platform truck tire, would, in all probability require 17'5" diameter tires. And, they would be smaller in profile than the current tires. For high mileage users the switch might be beneficial because the more robust truck tires would probably double in expected mileage before wear-out. However, the size and inflation pressures will provide a more harsh ride for the trailer's internal cargo. I'd talk to a tire knowledgeable employee of the vehicle manufacturer about the pros/cons of such a swap in size and design.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/19 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

People constantly complain about "junk" but are happy with substandard wearing tires. If you're happy with tires that last two years, more power to ya. I feel my tires, trailer or passenger vehicle, should last more than two years.

This is strictly my opinion. You don't have to like it, but that's the way I feel.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/19 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Maybe "flat spot" wasn't the best choice of words. There's a spot roughly the size of my hand where the tread is worn more than the rest of the tire that caught my attention.
Out of round....Yes, I had the tire off the ground a little and it "grabbed" the concrete just a little in one spot when I spun it, nothing major.

I guess this is a hot topic here lately, I don't get on here much anymore. I just felt like I've probably got more miles on mine than most so I thought I'd share my experience with them as they are still new in the market.

A flat spot or worn spot on the tires thread is typical for a brake lock up. It can happen on wet or dry pavement. Looking at that spot the rubber isn't smooth but has tiny grind marks as the rubber is ground away. I have a LT235/85-16 E on one of my trailer with 4 flat spots in various spots caused by a blow grease seal soaking that shoe.

I've yet to see a LT or P or ST tire that didn't grab the surface in a small spot first some where around the tread especially if its been sitting.

I wouldn't call the Endurance a hot topic other than its a new tire on the market for over two years now. One person in particular said the Endurance has a flawless service record when it was only out a little over a year. Many folks have been around the industry knows it takes several years and many miles of service to say if the tire is going to be a good one...or bad one.

Your post is a good sign for the Endurance. There should be more input from TT/5th wheel rv trailer owners in 2-3 more years as the tire runs out of service time and replacements starts.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/19 01:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yup I did say stellar record at one year because it was true at that time as it still is at 2 years 7 months later.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

CampingN.C.

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/19 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing about switching to a LT tire that some aren't thinking about it the size of these tires. A 255/85 is a 33x10. It is a HUGE tire to be on a camper. Most LT's that size are all terrain tires with a lower load capacity. These GY's have a load capacity of 4080lbs and I need every bit of that as we load to full capacity occasionally.

2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

CampingN.C.

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/19 03:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

People constantly complain about "junk" but are happy with substandard wearing tires. If you're happy with tires that last two years, more power to ya. I feel my tires, trailer or passenger vehicle, should last more than two years.

This is strictly my opinion. You don't have to like it, but that's the way I feel.

Under normal usage these tires would absolutely last much longer. Safe practice is replacing trailer tires every 4-5 years regardless of wear. The average camper is not on the road 12-15K miles a year like us. Most trailer tires will never see that many miles. I don't think it's fair to call these tires "junk" based solely on my review.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/19 06:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think the Endurance tires are "junk", but I do think they are substandard tires and if they offered tires with this kind of mileage for use on passenger vehicles, they'd be hard pressed to make many sales.

All this makes sense if the ST tires are drastically cheaper than a comparable LT tire, but I don't believe that's so.

And I don't agree with replacing tires after 4-5 years either. Mine are going on 6 years old and are still going strong. I want to get my money's worth out of my tires. I don't replace 5 year old tires on my passenger vehicles, why would I do it on my trailer?

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/19 07:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

I don't think the Endurance tires are "junk", but I do think they are substandard tires and if they offered tires with this kind of mileage for use on passenger vehicles, they'd be hard pressed to make many sales.

All this makes sense if the ST tires are drastically cheaper than a comparable LT tire, but I don't believe that's so.

And I don't agree with replacing tires after 4-5 years either. Mine are going on 6 years old and are still going strong. I want to get my money's worth out of my tires. I don't replace 5 year old tires on my passenger vehicles, why would I do it on my trailer?

One tread separation will cost you significantly more money to repair the damage than cycling out the trailer tires at 4-5 years. Not to mention the hassle of changing the tire on the side of the road.

As for not doing that same thing on a car/truck tire, I don’t think I’ve ever gone more than 5 years on a set of auto tires. Maybe I just drive more miles than some.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/19 07:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bionic Man wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

One tread separation will cost you significantly more money to repair the damage than cycling out the trailer tires at 4-5 years. Not to mention the hassle of changing the tire on the side of the road.

As for not doing that same thing on a car/truck tire, I don’t think I’ve ever gone more than 5 years on a set of auto tires. Maybe I just drive more miles than some.
Yes, a tread separation would cost a pretty good chunk of change if it tore up stuff. Which is why you buy good tires in the first place, which is why you don't buy ST tires. The only time I've ever had stuff torn up by a blowout was with ST tires that were less than 2 years old, and had less than 8,000 miles on them.

I don't think I've ever worn out a set of tires in 5 years. My mileage on my cars/trucks usually run less than 10,000 miles a year, some years a lot less. So my tires usually run 6-7 years. I've never had a tire failure that wasn't a result of some kind of road hazard, i.e., nails, bolts, screws, etc.

I bought our tow vehicle, 2001 Dodge diesel dually in 2006. I replaced the tires three years ago. Never had a flat, but also only put about 40,000 miles on it in that time. It's just for towing, it doesn't get used much except for that.

Guess I'm just a cheapskate...or would that be frugal? Whatever, my mom was a firm believer in the truism:

“Use it up, wear it out,
Make it do, or do without”

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 08:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Trailer tires, and passenger tires, or even truck tires on trailers, are completely different thing. How many months of the year does your car, or truck sit with out moving, and then ask how many months of the year does your trailer sit. There is the difference. Tires, ALL tire lubricate themselves while the roll. IF they don't roll, they don't lubricate themselves, and so the dry rot much faster.

As I have mentioned before. I have blown 3 trailer tires. They were all aired properly. They were all properly maintained. ( I blew 1 more , but it wasn't mine can't say how it was maintained) They all had had serious tread separation. AND they were all in their 4th (fourth) summer. Having had to change 3. 4 year old tires on the side of the highway. I will never run 4 year old tire again on a trailer again. Trailer tires age differently than car, or truck tires.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Goodyear Endurance long term review.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS