Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Goodyear Endurance long term review.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Goodyear Endurance long term review.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 10:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"As I have mentioned before. I have blown 3 trailer tires. They were all aired properly. They were all properly maintained. ( I blew 1 more , but it wasn't mine can't say how it was maintained) They all had had serious tread separation. AND they were all in their 4th (fourth) summer. Having had to change 3. 4 year old tires on the side of the highway. I will never run 4 year old tire again on a trailer again. Trailer tires age differently than car, or truck tires."

Well, if I worked with that theory, I'd be changing tires at 2 years, because the properly maintained ST tires blew at less than 2 years old. [emoticon]

Then again, perhaps if you had been using LT tires instead of ST tires they would have lasted longer than 4 years. My 6 year old LT tires show absolutely no signs of weathering or dry rot. Being built better is a definite plus.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 5er came with LT tires when I bought it new, way back in 2003. I've had two tread separations on that trailer over the years. I am good about checking the air pressure and the tires themselves before I go anywhere. I don't think I hit anything that would have caused that separation. I always buy name brand tires, and they were certainly less than 7 years old.

So LT tires are not immune to tread separation.

Because of that, the tires on my 5er are also on a 4-5 year life period. They get sold on Craigslist with pretty much new tread at that time.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 03:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Coastline boat trailer came with Rainier tires that just got replaced Thursday because the tread was about gone at 3.5 years. Replaced them with Maxxis M8008 C tires yesterday from Discount tire. As for our camper they will get replaced with Goodyear Endurance tires early next year (spring). I've replaced tires at 4 years or sooner and never had a blowout to date.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Proud"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 06:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

"As I have mentioned before. I have blown 3 trailer tires. They were all aired properly. They were all properly maintained. ( I blew 1 more , but it wasn't mine can't say how it was maintained) They all had had serious tread separation. AND they were all in their 4th (fourth) summer. Having had to change 3. 4 year old tires on the side of the highway. I will never run 4 year old tire again on a trailer again. Trailer tires age differently than car, or truck tires."

Well, if I worked with that theory, I'd be changing tires at 2 years, because the properly maintained ST tires blew at less than 2 years old. [emoticon]

Then again, perhaps if you had been using LT tires instead of ST tires they would have lasted longer than 4 years. My 6 year old LT tires show absolutely no signs of weathering or dry rot. Being built better is a definite plus.

Wondering. Can you get 14" LT tires, and do they lube themselves sitting still????. That is what causes them to rot.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 08:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terryallan wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

Wondering. Can you get 14" LT tires, and do they lube themselves sitting still????. That is what causes them to rot.
Why yes, amazingly enough you can get 14" LT tires. If you let your tires sit long enough for them to rot, maybe you should consider taking up another hobby. I do use mine occasionally and have no issues with rot.

And of course, YMMV.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/19 09:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CALandLIN wrote:

GY does not advertise their Endurance trailer tires as mileage tires. Like all other ST tires they are wear-out tires. To get in excess of 25K from any ST tire requires some excellent management practices.

To replace the OPs GY tires with another design such as a low platform truck tire, would, in all probability require 17'5" diameter tires. And, they would be smaller in profile than the current tires. For high mileage users the switch might be beneficial because the more robust truck tires would probably double in expected mileage before wear-out. However, the size and inflation pressures will provide a more harsh ride for the trailer's internal cargo. I'd talk to a tire knowledgeable employee of the vehicle manufacturer about the pros/cons of such a swap in size and design.

Curious about that statement, you are saying I won't get 25K out out of my Sailun tires on my fifth wheel, they are also ST .Trip to Alaska next summer , it will be a minimum of 10k miles, will report back on the wear. They are two, and half years old around 8K on them .

Learjet

Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/19 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1.5 years and 14,000 miles on my 235/85/R16 GoodYear Endurance

No issues and wearing well.

2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2015 Wildcat 317RL, MoRryde rubber pin box, Titan Disc Brakes, Trojan T105
B&W Ram Companion

Yamaha EF2600c tri-fuel generator
Champion Model 46595- 3000/3500w

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/19 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

My Coastline boat trailer came with Rainier tires that just got replaced Thursday because the tread was about gone at 3.5 years. Replaced them with Maxxis M8008 C tires yesterday from Discount tire. As for our camper they will get replaced with Goodyear Endurance tires early next year (spring). I've replaced tires at 4 years or sooner and never had a blowout to date.

Curious why not ENDURANCE for the boat trailer? Two years on my Boat trailer with lots of miles and lots of 70mph driving.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

otrfun

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/19 12:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anyone have any personal or hearsay reports of Goodyear Endurance tires failing catastrophically?

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/19 02:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

Curious why not ENDURANCE for the boat trailer? Two years on my Boat trailer with lots of miles and lots of 70mph driving.

My trailer wore the inside edges of the tires to where they was no more tread and with torsion bar spring axles there's no way that I know of to adjust for the negative camber, so it didn't make sense to go with a more expensive tire. If these Maxxis' go longer then maybe a better quality tire will last longer therefore the Endurance could be an option for me.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Goodyear Endurance long term review.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS