cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

looking for quick access bathroom advice

Swampman597
Explorer
Explorer
My DW and I made a wonderful 7 month trip in 2014 from Key West to NW Washington state. Unfortunately, when we returned she was diagnosed with cancer and has gone through more than I could endure at the Moffit Cancer center since then. The good news is she's actually getting better and stronger so we're talking about trying local (FL only) trips and see.

Our truck and 5er are in great shape however she needs pretty quick access to a toilet, usually without much warning. Apologies if TMI.

Since pulling over to access the bathroom in the 5er isn't always guaranteed at a moments notice, we're considering getting a Class A (gas, 30' - 34') which would provide instant access.

For those of you who have faced unique concerns like these, is getting a Class A a viable option? Or, are there other solutions folks have found that worked? We've considered a low-profile porta potty in the back (crew cab) but that might require her climbing over the seat if I can't pull over. I suggested we put in a 2-way video & audio so she could ride in the 5er but that wasn't received very well. Too many comments about how easy it is for a trailer to get stuck on a railroad crossing. ๐Ÿ™‚

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Mike
2014 Chevy 2500 Duramax, short bed, 4WD
2004 Keystone Laredo 27RL
Escapees member
12 REPLIES 12

Swampman597
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you
Escapees member

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations on the new MH.

We traded of the truck and FWTH just short of 9 years ago in favor of a MH due to the DW's medical issues. Now that the surgeries are complete and she is 80% healed we could probable go a different direction but we have come to enjoy the benefits of the MH too much to change.

Swampman597
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone for your thoughts and encouragement.

We did it, not quite like we had envisioned though. Next week, I'll pick up our new Coachman Mirada 35BH that has a full and a half bath so no waiting. Its a little longer than I was wanting but the side and rear cameras offer good views, especially when turning.

We'll see.
Escapees member

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bless you Mike, health is the reason we bought a Class A rather than a 5th wheel. Quick and easy access to toilet. We are now at the point of a wheelchair lift on the 3911 Newmar. It gives me room to get around her and help put her in bed and take her out, in and out of shower with relative ease. Same with toilet area. We are able to close a door and folding door for privacy, but sometimes one hsa to do what had to be done in order to get the mission accomplished.
Keep fighting the beast and never give up.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
I think the Class A idea is the best.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Where does she stand on the issue?
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

reluyog
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a Thetford portable toilet for my girlfriend, and we were able to use it between the seats of my Kenworth successfully. Luckily it's an old truck with a narrow cab, and she didn't have room to fall over. At this point she's had Multiple Sclerosis for about 40 years and uses a permanent catheter (superpubic), and we no longer need to use the Thetford. If you really like your 5th, you might be able to find a truck that would make using a portable toilet easier. Good luck.
Damian
1983 KW W900, 3406B Cat, RTO14615, 355's
1995 Carriage by Carriage triple axle 22K

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
We have a similar issue and have stopped travelling until we can come up with a better solution than the 5th wheel.

The choices we are considering are:
Class B Van type (easy to get in and out of)
Class A toy hauler (DW uses a mobility scooter or wheelchair)
A High Top Van and bumper pull toy hauler (Equip the van with a porti-potti to use while on the road).

Swampman597
Explorer
Explorer
Good thoughts, thanks.

Anyone know where I can just get a Star Trek transporter device to transport her to the 5er and back?
Escapees member

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Just one thing elso. If you pull off the side of the road for the driver, of course use flashers and get will clear of the traffic lane. AND, watch out for well intended law officers. I was just coming out of the bathroom, and a law officer tapped on DWs side window. Turns out she need the bathroom more than I did. He was just checking to see if we needed assistance. Told he we did not need assistance, but she was going to need clean clothes.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Same type problem, just less severe cause. Works fine, but just be cautious while anyone is standing, and loudly annnounce turns, or any other unexpected coach movement.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Good idea switch to a small class A. Just don't hit the brakes when she is trying to walk.