Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: When do you throw in the towel?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> When do you throw in the towel?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/19 12:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 2006 Suburban 2500 with the 8.1. It tows like a dream and only has 115k miles on it. The problem? It's age is starting to take it's toll. In addition to having to replace head gaskets earlier this spring, we are recurrently running into the impacts of 14 years of salt exposure in the northern winters. In the past 12 months we've had to replace the rear AC lines, the gear shifter and cable, and on a July trip the front brake lines blew (the rear are ok, but will soon need to be done).

We now have all of that work done, plus brakes and tires that are only a couple of years (maybe 15-20k miles) old. Our local shop says it is worth limping along with it, and I have felt ok still putting money into it, but DW is getting increasingly frustrated and we are finding ourselves running into surprise repairs more and more often (to the tune of some $4,000 this year alone).

When have you all decided to throw it in? What is your litmus test?

the bear II

Torrance CA.

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/19 12:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I decided to get a new truck when my old truck got to the point where I wasn't sure if I could trust it to tow our 5th wheel on a long trip without a breakdown. Like yours it seemed like every time we went somewhere the truck developed a problem. Most were small but when one of the A-Arms broke it was the turning point. I could no longer trust the truck.

The new truck has made towing a dream. I decided to get a truck that had way more towing capacity than I needed. Not having to worry about breakdowns make for a much better towing experience.

Son of Norway

Denver, Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/19 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm from SE Wisconsin. I remember our cars rusting through so bad that you could see through the holes in the floorboard down to the street. Here in Colorado my 1999 Suburban has hardly any rust at all. I decided it was in good enough shape to be worth a new engine (**** plastic head gaskets). Now that you have put so much money into yours, I would probably wait and see if the repairs hold out.

Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

camperdave

northern, California

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/19 12:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had to drop a few k into my van the last few years, I've had the same thought process as you. How much is too much? I don't have to worry about rust out here, but other things are failing. When I've run the financial numbers, it's always worth repairing and keeping vs replacing.

It can snowball quickly though, I dropped over 10k in 2 years a while back on driveline and A/C repairs for a van that books at a few thousand... But that book value is not really fair, what would it actually cost me to replace it with something else?

In your case with a big block Suburban, could you even replace it?

I'd suspect for you, rust will be the determining factor.

2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

HuckleberryHunter

Issaquah, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/19 12:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I took care of my 2003 Silverado 1/2 ton, but at 185K and never having done much more than change the oil and a few regular maintenance things we decided that it might become a time bomb. The steering box was starting to leak, so decided we needed to replace instead of repair. It could have gone another 100k without any major issues or it might have failed the next week. Hard to say. However, we were in need of an upgrade to a larger vehicle, so it all worked out. Eventually all vehicles need some major repair or tuneups eventually. That's the price of vehicle ownership. Good luck with your decision. Either way it'll cost $, but as long as you're happy with it, that's the right one.

2019 Outdoors RV 21DBS
2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Equalizer 4-point WDH

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/19 12:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have no set time that I replace my tuck. I kept my 2011 F350 for 5 years and my 2016 for about a year and a half. If the right deal comes along I'd be willing to replace my 2017 with a 2020. More than likely the cheapest vehicle to own is the one you keep for 20 years.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

troubledwaters

Potomac

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/19 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Figure out what it would cost to buy a new truck and what it has cost (per year) to keep the old one going. When the cost of repairs is equal to about 70% of the new cost, it's time.

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/19 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mickeyfan0805 wrote:

We have a 2006 Suburban 2500 with the 8.1. It tows like a dream and only has 115k miles on it. The problem? It's age is starting to take it's toll. In addition to having to replace head gaskets earlier this spring, we are recurrently running into the impacts of 14 years of salt exposure in the northern winters. In the past 12 months we've had to replace the rear AC lines, the gear shifter and cable, and on a July trip the front brake lines blew (the rear are ok, but will soon need to be done).

We now have all of that work done, plus brakes and tires that are only a couple of years (maybe 15-20k miles) old. Our local shop says it is worth limping along with it, and I have felt ok still putting money into it, but DW is getting increasingly frustrated and we are finding ourselves running into surprise repairs more and more often (to the tune of some $4,000 this year alone).

When have you all decided to throw it in? What is your litmus test?

When it starts costing more than it is worth. that is when you trade it. seems you are past that. If you can afford to. unload it.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/19 12:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Personal deal. My brother spent 13 years of part time work getting the Suburban he uses to pull his TT with built to suit him. And in that time, the money he spent on it, plus what he spent on the 'burbs he was driving, he could of traded for new every 4-5 years. He would not be happy driving the new vehicles. But he does all the work himself, and knows he will be able to fix what he needs to, has fixed all the rust, and doesn't drive it if streets might get salted...
Bet he is near Branson now.

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/19 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've got a 2002 Chevy 1500HD with the 6.0, and it is at 231,000 miles that I bought new. I'm kinda in the same boat wondering at what point do I bite the bullet and buy a new one.

So far the ol truck seems to be holding up well. I've had to do water pumps, fuel pump, rear main seal. But honestly over the last 5 years other than tires and oil changes I've put maybe $3000 into it. At that rate its cheaper to keep it. Although the new Rams with the 6.4 and 8spd are calling my name [emoticon]

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 213k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> When do you throw in the towel?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS