Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Anti-seize on brake caliper bracket?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Anti-seize on brake caliper bracket?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
GeoBoy

Southeast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/19 07:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

You have no worries about having lube on your bolts.

Bolts don't loosen up because they are lubed up. They loosen up because they are not properly tightened.

Think of rod bolts in an engine. They are in lube all the time 24 hours a day and they don't loosen up or have loctite on them. They don't loosen up because they are torqued properly.

X2. Use anti-seize on the caliper bolts and torque to manufacture spec. I was a Saab mechanic and never had a brake caliper fall off a car ever.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/19 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Slide bolt threads should have medium loctite, and YES properly torqued. DRV had a recall on the subject.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/19 12:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"DRV"?

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/19 12:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

"DRV"?

DRV Mobile Suites

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/19 01:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know DRV can mean Mobile Suites, but I didn't know they also made brake calipers.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/19 01:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ron3rd wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

"DRV"?

DRV Mobile Suites

“Doubletree Recreational Vehicles”

DRV issued a recall on the Kodiak caliper slide bolts because they were falling out.

The specified RED loctite. Overkill IMHO, I always use BLUE.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/19 03:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks.

Almost sounds like the bolts were undersized and stretching, then loosening up. The loctite wouldn't really address the issue, but it would keep the bolts from then falling out.

Pretty rare for caliper bolts to just fall out, but not unusual for the recommendation of loctite on those bolts. I agree that blue should be perfectly fine in most circumstances.

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/19 04:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How about VW using a 14mm triple square bit to mount their calipers onto their vehicles? Course I don't have that part (NAPA does tho). WTH? Can't use regular bolts like everyone else?? UGH !!!!

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

STBRetired

I-80 and I-55

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/19 05:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rod bolts, head bolts, main bearing cap bolts are all put together using assembly lube so that you get the proper stretch when you torque them. Some anti-seize will not be a problem. Of greater concern is the number of times those bolts have been removed and re-torqued. Every time you torque that bolt you stretch it a bit further. Eventually, the bolt will fail, not by loosening, but by breaking because it was overstretched. On our race car, we replace any bolt that would be torqued more than twice. On my personal vehicle, I follow that same rule for any safety related items like brakes and suspension / steering. Anything else, like wheel studs, I will usually go 4 or five torquings before replacing.

1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/19 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

STBRetired wrote:

On my personal vehicle, I follow that same rule for any safety related items like brakes and suspension / steering. Anything else, like wheel studs, I will usually go 4 or five torquings before replacing.

Lol, really? By way of all your experience with engines, one would think you'd understand clamping force, slip critical connections, yield and non yield tensile strength, torque as it relates to tension etc.
You seriously replace the brake caliper bolts after using them twice and your wheel lugs after 4-5 tire rotations?
I don't believe you....

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Anti-seize on brake caliper bracket?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS