cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tornado hits Carolina camp ground

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just saw on TV a bunch of campers piled up after a tornado hit Emerald Isle---been a weeks warning to get out of there but as usual some don't listen
20 REPLIES 20

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
If I had a park model I'd have it adequately insured and have no qualms about leaving it in the lurch. No doubt others think the same.

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
RVs and tornadoes are not a good combination. Tying yours down is great but if the neighbors is flying around through yours it really doesn't matter.

Lots of variables here between building codes, land use, zoning, permanent use, temporary use, etc. Easy for everyone to say what "should" have been done after the fact.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
27 tornadoes reported in the area

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
Hurricanes have caused tornadoes for ever. And nobody has taught any weather system how to read a calendar.
Was the injured women one of the 30% that knew they where not close to Alabama?

Are you also talking about common sense of the 30 % LOL
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
We live about an hour South of EI. This hurricane spawned a LOT of tornadoes. We had 2 touch down within an hour of each other about 3 miles from our house.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hurricanes have caused tornadoes for ever. And nobody has taught any weather system how to read a calendar.
Was the injured women one of the 30% that knew they where not close to Alabama?

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
The hurricane did indeed spawn tornadoes over land. It's been on the news.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
You said "Tornado" not Tornado season yet (Though there have been a couple pre-season ones I'm told)

Is HURRICANE season and you do not get weeks of warning with tornados
You do with Hurricane.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

FormerBoater
Explorer
Explorer
There are 2 RV parks almost side by side in Emerald Isle.

The Hurricane had not arrived when the tornado touched down.

The Mandatory Evacuation for Emerald Isle was 7 PM on the day the tornado hit in the early AM so these folks had not been advised to leave when this weather event occurred.

There is an RV Storage lot that is part of the Holiday Travel Park which is next to the Boardwalk RV Park where the Park Models were impacted. The towables that were turned over were in the storage lot.

The lady who was in her camper when the tornado hit MAY have been checking on her unit to make sure it was ready for the arrival of Dorian. That is indeed what I always do when we are 12 hours before the arrival of any hurricane.
Dave
1998 American Eagle 40EVS

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Really? Ray Charles could see that those were not all permanent as some were. Some may have been in storage and not hooked to anything. We live here and I am pretty sure our news coverage is better than what you get around the country. Hate to see anyone lose their stuff.

TripleE
Explorer
Explorer
All the sites in this park are permanents. Some park models, some trailers that do not move. No overnights. My DIL used to own a trailer in the park. Most of them do not live there all the time. They are vacation homes. I am sure some people stayed but most were empty. Moving these trailers would have been impossible as most have decks attached, etc.
Bill & Treasa
Our Blog
USMC Retired MGySGT
2005 Winnebago Vectra 40AD
400 Cummins, Freightliner chassis
2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4X4

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
They did not all leave. Saw an interview on the morning TV with a woman who seemed shocked that she had been in a hurricane and he RV almost flipped over with her inside! You can't fix stupid!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
The ones stacked up are ALL tow behinds. According to local news some were occupied and there were injuries. A blind man can see that a lot of folks lost their stuff + some of those permanent ones took some hard damage.

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
I'd have screw anchors installed, then chain the axles to the anchors with shackles to comply with code but I'd be able unshackle and go if needed. It's hard to imagine someone would leave an RV in that area of the country over the summer and expect it to remain no matter how strapped down.

I guess no one learned anything from Rockport a couple of year ago.
-jbh-