Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Insuring your household while full time RVing
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Insuring your household while full time RVing

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
mqsbwa

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/19 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all

We are soon to be new full time RV’ers. We are looking for a solution to a big problem. We plan to full time RV but keep some household items, personal items, etc. We have racked our brains on how to store and insure our items while we’re on the road. We are in need of guidance. Can someone please help?

Thanks in advance.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/19 04:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get a FTrs policy (same as you would have on S&B house) then add umbrella coverage on stored items

Get a Renters insurance on stored Items

Talk with Insurance Agent..they will give you options for various coverage scenarios.

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/19 06:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Get a FTrs policy (same as you would have on S&B house) then add umbrella coverage on stored items

Get a Renters insurance on stored Items

Talk with Insurance Agent..they will give you options for various coverage scenarios.

All of this sounds like it would work, but in most states it will not. Most, if not all, renter's or homeowner's policies specifically exclude items stored in a storage facility. The storage facility, however, often sells very expensive limited coverage policies.

mqsbwa

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/19 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the replies. If I’m understanding you correctly then one could get umbrella

insurance on their RV policy and then a renters policy. I currently have coverage on

my home which is about to sell which extends to storage. I’ve tried asking about a

renters policy on the stored items once the house sells but have been told that without a

physical address (I’ve advised them that the RV will be my physical address) I can’t get

a renters policy. Maybe I’m not understanding the solution correctly. Thanks again.

KPetrick

Englewood

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/19 11:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mqsbwa,

Give us a call at Good Sam Insurance Agency and we can talk with you about options. We have 4 different companies that have great RV products. We are also full service and can handle home, auto, watercraft, etc. Generally an umbrella is geared towards liability coverage. You can try and get a rider for your property anywhere around the world but that is expensive. As the largest agency in the country insuring RV's we have heard it all and can get you some suggestions. Keith

doxiemom11

Somewhere between MI and TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/19 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Purchase a full-timers rv policy and add coverage for the contents you have with you. An umbrella policy is for liability coverage, not to cover contents in storage. In some states, you could take out a renters insurance policy at the storage facility address for coverage, but in others no. Another option is store your items at a friend or relatives in a rented area like the basement, spare bedroom and have a renters policy written for you at that location. You should draw up a rental contract for the area even if the rent is a minimal amount.

Jim-Linda

Livingston, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/19 08:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

(I’ve advised them that the RV will be my physical address)

You may be in the RV, but its not your "physical" legal address. You will need an address for legal reasons,ie., Auto regs, IRS, insurance, banking,voting etc. Look into a mail forwarding service that has the ability to be your legal address, such as Escapees mail service.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Insuring your household while full time RVing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS