Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Trailer Battery runs down
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Trailer Battery runs down

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Nosrettap

Houston

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/19 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The battery won’t hold a charge when connected to the trailer, even when nothing is on and even in “store” mode. It holds a charge when when disconnected. So I guess there is an unknown power draw - what could it be?

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/19 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It could be anything.

Do you have the pin pulled on your breakaway brake switch? That will do it in minutes.

Since it does it with the disconnect switch on, you will have to follow every wire from the battery to see where it goes.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

maillemaker

office

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/19 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your battery is getting drawn down in storage the easiest fix is to just install a disconnect switch at the battery, and disconnect the battery every time you're done using the camper.

My RV did the same thing. Rather than chase down parasitic loads I just installed disconnects.

Plus I installed a hard-wired CO/Propane detector and that would do it itself over time so the disconnect disconnects everything.

1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/19 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unless you disconnect the battery, the CO/LP detector, radio and other loads will draw down the battery. The trailer probably did not come with a disconnect switch, and if it did, it was likely wired to not disconnect everything. Get a switch and wire it correctly. Turn it off as soon as the trailer is disconnected from the tow vehicle or power, unless it is being used.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/19 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

install a kill switch at the battery then you know theres no draw ,

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/19 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can I join the nagging?

Battery switch
Disconnect switch
Kill switch

A battery maintainer/charger will vastly lengthen the life of a battery

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/19 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How big a draw? How long does it take to run down to what voltage?

If no ammeter, at least check voltage difference from when disconnected to connected. Report the numbers please. A bigger voltage diff would indicate a higher amp draw that might help with identification.

When connected, you can pull DC fuses one at a time to see if that makes the voltage go back up. That would identify which circuit is the draw.

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
See Profile for House electronics set-up.
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas

Almot

out there

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/19 06:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

How big a draw?

Exactly.

happy2rv

Huntsville, AL, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/19 07:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As others have indicated, it could be any number of items. The only way to know for sure is to verify the current consumption of each wire going from the battery.

You don't indicate how long it takes for the battery to discharge or what "store" mode means. If store mode means a battery disconnect in the disconnect state, then there are obviously things that aren't being disconnected. This may or may not be "normal."

There are a couple of ways to tackle the problem. One is to trace each wire connecting to the battery, if possible, to see where they go. If they are all connected through the battery disconnect, then perhaps it's defective. You can get a clamp on DC amp meter similar to this one. and learn to use it to see which wire(s) are using battery power. If the internal power center is still powered while in storage mode, you can use the amp meter to check each wire coming from it. The inside power distribution center should definitely be disconnected by a disconnect switch if one's installed. Be aware that a lot of the clamp on current meters are AC only and won't be of help. When set correctly, you can clamp the meter around each wire to see how much current is flowing through the wire at the time.

Assuming there is any way to get power to the unit while its in storage, I would definitely recommend a purpose built battery maintainer similar to this one. Lead acid batteries will eventually self discharge even if disconnected.

If you can't get power to the RV during storage, I would look at completely disconnecting the batteries either by making sure the battery disconnect switch is set up correctly or by physically disconnecting them. If it's going to be in storage for months at a time without power, I would pull the batteries and take them to where they could be plugged into a battery maintainer.

2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/19 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As BFL13 said first find out how big the draw is. What I would do is to disconnect the positive cable and set your HF multimeter to 10 amps and read the amp draw between the pos cable end and the pos terminal on the battery. Is it more than one amp? If more than 2-3 amps something is left on. Pull each 12v fuse one at a time to see which one reduces the amp draw then you will know which circuit is the problem. If your amp draw is less than an amp say .2-.5 amps and your battery goes dead quickly I would suspect a bad battery.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Trailer Battery runs down
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.