Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

12 VDC Power at Rear Connector

Healeyman
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

Do any of you know if the 12VDC CENTER pin on the rear towed/trailer plug-in connector is Switched with the ignition or is it always Hot?

RV is a Coachemen Leprechaun. Ford chassis

Thanks,

Tim
6 REPLIES 6

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
They are not all the same, Healeyman. Most are like carringb posted but not all.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Healeyman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all,

I was wrong. It is NOT the center pin that is 12VDC. It is blade 4. The center pin is the reverse lights.

My dinky phone screen wouldn't let me correctly see where the arrow pointed.

I, of course, will check it with a DVM just to be sure.

Tim

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
Use your volt meter or a test light. It may not be the centre pin, on some vehicles, the centre pin is for the backup lights. You can find trailer connector wiring diagram at etrailer.com.
Also on Ford and some other vehicles, a fuse or relay must be installed in the fuse block under the hood to send power to the trailer connector.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
The center pin is the trailer backup light circtuit. You want the top-right pin.

Ford used to ship trucks and vans with the relay for the pin un-installed, but I think RV's typically come with it installed. Wouldn't hurt to check if it's missing power. And yes, it's Key-switched.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Put a volt meter to it and find out for sure.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Ford trucks are switched.