Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Best wax for lazy people?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Best wax for lazy people?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/19 06:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just watched a Wade Maid video on how EASY it is to use his wax; and it did look easy. No electric buffer required. He recommends waxing yearly using his product, of course.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recently started using Turtle Wax Ice Shine and Seal after watching this video comparison. All I do is wash the RV, then dry it off. Then I spray it on a few feet at a time and wipe it off. The only thing lazier (when it comes to waxing) is letting someone else do it.

I've used this on cars and it really brings out the shine. Our TT is aluminum sided and it didn't come as shiny as the cars did, but water beaded up and repelled off very quickly. Our TT is only a few years old and still looks new. I could feel the difference between waxed sections and unwaxed sections more than see it, so I was happy.

I have used Meguiar's Ultimate Wash and Wax ever since we bought the TT and it keeps the TT looking very nice. The Turtle Wax Ice Shine and Seal provides 3 months of UV Protection.

-Michael

-Michael

Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Bert Ackerman

Palm Beach

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dick_B wrote:

Just watched a Wade Maid video on how EASY it is to use his wax; and it did look easy. No electric buffer required. He recommends waxing yearly using his product, of course.

At those prices, his products should apply themselves while you sit and watch. $42 for a pint of synthetic wax. Another Phil Swift, Ron Popeil, Billy Mays shyster IMO, PT Barnum said it best. Reading through the description it sounds like when you order a bottle he runs down to Walmart, buys a bottle of Nufinish for $8, and pours it in his own branded bottle LOL.

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/19 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe NOT what you want to hear, but in the long-run it's marvelous.

We had our latest truck treated with RestAll when we purchased it. A few months later, when we purchased the 5er, we had it treated with RestAll. Both dealerships gave us a care package with all the products for both inside, outside, windows, everything. I have 2 unopened boxes of ResistAll products now.

The truck passed it's 1 year mark of ownership, and the trailer is now approaching 1 year ownership. Both still look shinny new after a year. The truck (Chevy Colorado) goes through the car wash at least twice every week since it was purchased. We have a car wash club we belong to. The trailer has been washed (by me), several times now over the year. And did I say, both still look show-room new.

I had to do a touch up on a spot on the camper where the door of the truck hit the front cap and cracked the fiberglass. I repaired the fiberglass, repainted, and then used the ResistAll over the new painted area, and it was VERY easy to apply.

If you don't mind doing the work the first time (or paying to have it done), the end result is, it will be a long-long-long-long time before you'll ever have to wax again. My trailer is fiberglass skinned. My truck is metal. ResistAll is NOT a wax, it's a paint sealer.

Click here.

And here's some YouTube videos: Click here.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/19 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I was a kid, I remember the neighbors out in the driveway most Saturdays washing and waxing their cars. In addition to the pride of ownership, it seems to become a hobby all on its own. I tried it once or twice but really found it to be a lot of work since I was interested in spending my time on other activities.

I see the same with RVs. There are those who spend hours and hours shining the RV. It is a nice hobby when they sit in RV parks. Again I never had the interest. I want my RV to look good but I don't want all the work.

The last time I waxed my RV was several years ago. I spent hours in prep and then worked for a day putting on 2 coats of Mequire's. The results did not look that good. There were a lot of blotchy areas. I thought about putting on a 3rd coat. I started but the results were no better. At that point I got out the ammonia wax stripper, a scotch pad and bar keepers friend. It took hours more to strip all the wax and prep the surface.

I then wiped on 4 thin coats of ZEP. Again that was years ago. Since then I have washed the RV numerous times and apply a single refresher coat about once a year. Last Fall and early Winter I traveled for 4 months. When I returned Winter had started. I winterized the water system and left it. It has been sitting for all these months in a wooded area with lots of debris, tree sap and birds who sat on the limbs above and pooped red berry juice. There were black streaks where rain water and melting snow dripped. It looked horrible.

I was amazed at the ease of the cleanup. It took about 20 minutes to wash it. There were 2 small red streaks that just did not come off. Otherwise, it looks great. I even decided to skip the annual additional coat of ZEP.
I cannot imagine using anything else.

Ductape

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Meguiars Ultimate Fast Finish. It an aerosol.

This stuff is literally wipe on, wipe off.

49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

brianosaur wrote:

2naEagle wrote:

brianosaur wrote:

So does ALL the wax have to be hand spray pumped on and ragged off?

...remember the 'lazy' tag in the OP?

The Wash-N-Wax will make it look good.

For real purdy you will have to spray pumped on and ragged off.

...there goes the lazy.

If that's too much, my suggestion is to park it under a tree indefinitely and let nature take its course. I mean moss and mildew don't oxidize, right? Seems like the perfect "green" solution to your dilemma and requires zero effort save for parking the rig. Best of both worlds!
Saving the effort and environment equally from the comfort of you lazy boy!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The best wax for lazy people is the wax that's put on by other people.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/19 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

Maybe NOT what you want to hear, but in the long-run it's marvelous.

We had our latest truck treated with RestAll when we purchased it. A few months later, when we purchased the 5er, we had it treated with RestAll. Both dealerships gave us a care package with all the products for both inside, outside, windows, everything. I have 2 unopened boxes of ResistAll products now.

The truck passed it's 1 year mark of ownership, and the trailer is now approaching 1 year ownership. Both still look shinny new after a year. The truck (Chevy Colorado) goes through the car wash at least twice every week since it was purchased. We have a car wash club we belong to. The trailer has been washed (by me), several times now over the year. And did I say, both still look show-room new.

I had to do a touch up on a spot on the camper where the door of the truck hit the front cap and cracked the fiberglass. I repaired the fiberglass, repainted, and then used the ResistAll over the new painted area, and it was VERY easy to apply.

If you don't mind doing the work the first time (or paying to have it done), the end result is, it will be a long-long-long-long time before you'll ever have to wax again. My trailer is fiberglass skinned. My truck is metal. ResistAll is NOT a wax, it's a paint sealer.

Click here.

And here's some YouTube videos: Click here.
Come back in a few more years and report. A lot of that stuff works great for a couple years, then it starts to turn cloudy, milky, and splotchy. Anything put on by the dealer is for their profit, not your benefit.

RckyMtnVia

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/19 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used to wax our rv once a year but the effort over 2 days was just getting too much work, plus I'm not keen on going up ladders any more. A friend who shows custom hot rods told me about Lucas Slick Mist which you spray on after you wash the rv/car and wipe dry. The shine is really good, and it is easy to use. On the rv, I use a Swiffer pole with a rag on the head to reach the top of the rv. You can get this in Walmart for about $7.

2019 Jayco Precept 31UL

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Best wax for lazy people?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS